Green Scene Jan. 2018
January 2018 Fort McMurray Public School District
Friday, Jan. 19 PLF Getting Green!
- 8:30-11:30 Green Scene meeting/collaboration
- 12:30-3:30 Bringing Environmental Education to the classroom:
- Identify resources that support your curriculum
- Using the environment for authentic inquiry & project-based learning
- Connecting with initiatives such as Destination Conservation
Room 212, Westwood High School
Schools In Focus: Ecole McTavish
- Krish Shah, Grade 9 Ecole McTavish student, was awarded a Governor General's Award for Volunteers, for his work with EcoYolo.
- Emilie Giroux from Islamic School received a Green Guardian Grant and a $1000 grant from Conocophillips for a classroom compost program . Her class Grade 5 wetlands adoption program will be highlighted in the annual Gov. of AB report on the invasive species program.
- Students at Composite High received an Emerald Foundation grant.
Fall 2017 FMPSD Green Happenings
- EnviroMentors with Grade 12 students buddied with Grade 4 students to teach about community environment and beautification over 5 weeks.
- RMWB Green Teen program, with Jr. & Sr. High students implementing action projects that help improve the community.
- Destination Conservation teams of students from grades 4-12, are learning about waste reduction & implement projects to improve their schools. Students attended a day-long workshop this fall, with 2 more this year.
- Emerald Foundation hosted Emerald Day in Fort Murray Nov. 3, inspiring youth and adults with different initiatives by Alberta Emerald Award winners. Presented at Keyano.
- Inside Education sponsored a Student Sustainability Summit attended by Jr. High & High students. They saw a green home & buildings & heard inspiring speakers.
First bottle filling station! No bottled water available at that school!
Walter & Gladys Hill
Cool composting isopods in Mrs. White's Reggio inspired classroom.
Excited kids at Destination Conservation
Class Presentations & Fieldtrips - Free!
Elements Society for Environmental Education and Leadership can help with experiential learning opportunities and resources with curriculum connections & resources. Contact email@example.com
RMWB Landfill offers and excellent field trip opportunity. They divert 70% of waste at the site, and have a great educational centre.
Wastewater Treatment Centre offers tours for students. It's an amazing chance to see how RMWB collects, treats & uses waste & wastewater. 780-791-0326
Landfill & Recycling Center
Green Scene Science Fair award winners went on a fieldtrip last spring.
Shannon, Kitty & Aundrea at the RMWB recycling facility.
Waste Water Treatment Facility
Adjusting to the aroma...
Johnny & GI adding solar panels to roof
EcoAmigos prepare their new composting program.
Solange teaching about waste at Destination Conservation