NGC and CHHS Edition 3/15/20
Open Message to the Longhorn Family
Flexible learning Expectations
All lessons will be listed in a Google Classroom by grade level on the flexible learning site chisd.net/flexlearning . However, all subjects including elective teachers have the option to assign lessons using other instructional technology platforms (i.e. Google Classroom, SeeSaw, etc).
There will be an e-mail to the parents that will say:
1. The teachers will send an e-mail to their students with work via their platform of choice or
2. They will be able to get assignments from the flexible learning site.
3. All work will be returned no later than the Friday upon return.
It is required that students do work; however, it is not mandated that you use the work on the flexible learning assignments. The flexible learning site will be up at 10 AM tomorrow morning.
I appreciate you all for your patience.
Flex Learning Sign-in and Duty information
All faculty/staff members ( paraprofessional/professional) are expected to sign in and monitor email between 9:00-11:00 a.m. and 1:00-3:00 p.m. to answer parent/scholar questions pertaining to flex learning assignments and other emails from the district. Unless you have an AM, PM, or All Day absence entered in Skyward, you are expected to sign in at the indicated times; that means you will sign in three (3) times daily.
All staff, professional/paraprofessional, must sign in using the following form each day.
SPED Plan of Support for Exceptional Scholars
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) do not specifically address schools closing for an extended period (generally, more than 10 consecutive days) because of exceptional circumstances, such as an outbreak of a disease.
Schools are required to provide a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) to all students in the district or school who receive special education and related services. Schools that close campuses and establish virtual learning environments or other alternative educational delivery methods, must ensure that planning addresses the provision of all services required in each student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP), including both instructional and related services.
The Cedar Hill ISD Special Education department has developed a plan to support scholars with exceptionalities and continue to provide FAPE to the maximum extent that’s appropriate for each scholar. Below are links to programs that will help support our learners in all instructional settings including our Scholars in our SKILLS setting.
1. Scholars that receive support in the general education setting you can use the following online tools that can be found on Special Education Resources Scholars can use their google login to access the accounts. Also two google classrooms have been set up to provide in-class support and it will be available Monday- Friday (9am- 12pm) here is the link for the google classroom In-Class Support and the classroom code is xro6cdo.
Co:Writer Universal (for Google Chrome and iOS) uses grammar- and vocabulary-smart word prediction, translation support, and speech recognition to help unstick ideas and get them to flow in writing.
Co:Writer Reference Guide (signing in as a student page 7)
Snap&Read Universal is the Next-Generation reading tool for Google Chrome, iPad and more, that can cover the most diverse reading needs. It reads both accessible and inaccessible text aloud, it levels vocabulary, and it translates, delivering usage data to teachers who then can more easily assess students’ reading needs individually.
Snap&Read Reference Guide (signing in as a student pages 9-10)
1. For our scholars that receive services in our SKILLS and ECSE setting you can utilize the at- home access of Unique Learning System. Click on the link N2Y please register as a parent for the free access. Also attached is the link to social stories to explain COVID-19 to our scholars with severe exceptionalities.
2. For Scholars that receive Speech and Related Services all missed services will be tracked in a Google Sheet to ensure IEP compliance upon returning back to school. Parents will be notified and we will address if there is need for compensatory services.
3. Scholars that were scheduled to have Admission, Review, or Dismissal Meeting during our closure we will contact parents to proposed alternative methods to hold the meeting to ensure we are within timelines set forth by IDEA.
Mrs. Walker is available and open to anyone wanting questions answered as it pertains to scholars with disabilities and the services provided to them during the extended break. Please regularly check your email and the district's social media accounts for updated information regarding this matter.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Videos
The following videos were created as part of CDC-TV’s Health Matters series for the general public and public health professionals.
We encourage you to watch these videos and learn more about how you can keep you and your family healthy by practicing improved hygiene. If you are a public health professional, you can use these videos to raise awareness and educate your community on healthy hygiene behaviors.
CHISD Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Updated March 14 | 2:30 PM
To support the health and safety of our scholars UIL has suspended all UIL sanctioned contests through March 29. CHISD will not have any practices or rehearsals until further notice.
Updated March 13 | 2 PM
During the district closure Cedar Hill ISD will be serving sack breakfast from 7:30 a.m.- 8:30 a.m. and a sack lunch from 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. each weekday to anyone under the age of 18 at Plummer Elementary (door #3), High Pointe Elementary (door #11), Bessie Coleman Middle School (door #15) and Cedar Hill High School (door #12). Parents will pull up to the location and meals will be handed to them in their car. All meals will be provided at no cost and will be prepared with the strictest of sanitation standards.
Updated March 13 | 10 AM
The SAT exam previously scheduled for tomorrow, March 14 at Cedar Hill High School for all juniors is CANCELLED and will be rescheduled.
Updated March 12 | 8 PM
All Cedar Hill ISD athletic events have been cancelled until further notice.
ALL scheduled out of state field trips have been cancelled until further notice. Campuses and department leaders should move forward with securing reimbursements from organizations if possible.
- Out of an abundance of caution, the district will not approve new requests for international travel until further notice.
- New requests for out of state travel will not be approved until further notice.
- For in-state field trips, the district will proceed with caution and all requests for new in-state field trips will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis with special attention being placed on trips requiring air travel, events held in closed spaces, or events with 250 or more participants.
Updated March 12 | 6 PM
Due to the March 11th announcement by the World Health Organization that the Coronavirus has been declared a pandemic, Cedar Hill ISD is extending its spring break for an additional week. Scholars should report to classes on Monday, March 23, 2020. Staff should report to work on Monday, March 23, 2020, unless notified by their immediate supervisor.
The district is also offering free breakfast and lunch to anyone under the age of 18 living in Cedar Hill ISD boundaries starting on Monday, March 16th. Breakfast will be provided from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and lunch will be provided from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Plummer Elementary School, High Pointe Elementary School, Bessie Coleman Middle School, and Cedar Hill High School.
Cedar Hill ISD is implementing the SAFE LONGHORN HOTLINE starting on Sunday, March 15, 2020, at 12 p.m. CHISD families and staff are asked to call (469) 272-2020 for information on the district’s response to the Coronavirus and for self-quarantine information.
CHISD staff will operate the SAFE LONGHORN HOTLINE from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday, March 15th and during regular business hours (M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) starting Monday, March 16th until further notice. Spanish speaking staff will be available to provide support.
CORONAVIRUS INFORMATIONThe health and safety of Cedar Hill ISD scholars and staff is our number one priority. Given the media coverage of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we want to assure you that we are keeping track of the situation from trusted resources like the Dallas County Health Department and Center for Disease Control (CDC). There are no confirmed or suspected cases in CHISD, and health officials believe the risk to our community and the United States is low at this time. CHISD encourages families to use the resources provided on this webpage to partner with us to share facts and not fear in our community.