FAC Weekly Update
October 18, 2019
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a wonderful week! In case you missed it, here are some highlights from our week at the FAC:
- Field Trips for our Seniors in the Architecture program to construction sites in Downtown Greenville
- Informational sessions with representatives from Cal Arts and the Ringling College of Design
- Outstanding performances by our students at the annual visitation to League Academy
- A wonderful concert last night by our students in the Chamber Strings Program
Don't forget to check out the UPCOMING EVENTS section at the bottom of the newsletter so that you can come out and support our students!
Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
"Practice self-discipline and keep emotions under control. Good judgment and common sense are essential."
"Discipline yourself so that others won't have to."
- Coach John Wooden
Congratulations - Digital Filmmaking Students!
Three films by Fine Arts Film students will be screened at the 5th Annual Reedy Reels Film Festival on November 2nd. Films made by Hailie Gold, Isaiah Edwards, and Galen Cunningham were chosen by their peers to represent the Fine Arts Center at the upcoming festival. The screenings take place at 10:30 a.m. at the Peace Center. The festival runs from Friday November 1st through Sunday, November 3rd. Please visit http://www.reedyreels.com for more information.
Fine Arts Center Class Rings
- For students who do not attend a GCS High School, you will have the opportunity to purchase the FAC ring.
- Students who go to a GCS High School can either purchase a ring at their home-base school or at the FAC.
- For those GCS High Schools that use Herff-Jones as the vendor: the ring from the home-base school will include an option to have the FAC logo on one side of the ring. This is a new feature that will allow students to represent both their home-base school and the FAC in one purchase, rather than feeling like they have to buy a ring from both schools!
Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
Support our FAC Students and Faculty!
- Greenville County Youth Orchestra - Fall for Music - Thursday, October 24, 7:30 p.m., Gunter Theater - featuring FAC Students and our own Jennifer John (Chamber Strings Director) as Conductor/Soloist! - https://www.peacecenter.org/events/detail/20-gcyo-1
- Mater Dolorosa: Recent Work by April Dauscha (Visual Arts Faculty) - Opening Reception - Friday, November 1, 6-7:30 p.m., Thompson Art Gallery @ Furman University
Did we miss anything that features our students? Please email Mr. Popat with information.
FAC Jazz at the Peace Center
FAC Days of Dance
Grading Dates - End of Marking Period 1
Tuesday, October 22: End of Marking Period 1 grading period
Friday, October 25: Schools generate and print report cards
Wednesday, October 30: Report cards go home
Fine Arts Center students who attend a GCS High School will get their report card from their home base school.
FAC students who do not attend a GCS High School will receive the report card from their studio teacher.
APPLICATIONS for the 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
All FAC Students must apply yearly for admission to the Fine Arts Center. The application for the 2020-2021 School Year is now available on our website - http://www.fineartscenter.net. The application closes on December 20, so please be sure to handle this task ASAP. Kindly note that there are some open-ended questions on the application that our returning students need to complete. We expect our students to reflect on the questions and respond thoughtfully.
Want to help raise funds for the Fine Arts Center? Simply shop at Publix! Click on the following link for directions and information - https://corporate.publix.com/community/corporate-campaigns/publix-partners.
Friday Studio Access
Studio access will end on Fridays at 4:30 p.m. This applies to all Fridays. Please be sure that you have wrapped up your activities by that time and have arranged for prompt transportation.
Greenville County Schools - Financial Aid Workshops
Greenville County Schools has four Financial Aid Workshops available to parents. Please choose the date and location that best fits your schedule:
- October 21, 2019 • 6 PM, Eastside High
- October 19: Voice Field Trip to SCNATS
- October 22: Visual Arts Field Trip to Atlanta
- October 23: Jazz Concert @ Genevieve's - 7:00 p.m.
- October 28 and 29: No School for Students - Teacher Work Days
- November 6: Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion Concert - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- November 11-15: Visual Arts Residency - Peace Papers
- November 13: Visual Arts Fundraiser @ SIDEWALL PIZZA - all day!
- November 20: Jazz Concert - 1:30 p.m. Class - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- November 21-23: Fall Theatre Production - "Anon(ymous)"