Mrs. Drew's Weekly Newsletter
4th grade: Week of 3/14
This week in 4th grade...
- Language Arts: In Writing the students began their third chapter of their expository Lewis & Clark books. For this chapter the students chose an important event from the life of the person they wrote about in chapter two. They then used sensory language to write about that event in the form of a first-person narrative.
- Social Studies: At the end of the week the students took their cumulative test on Lewis and Clark.
- Science: We spent time talking about the scientific method this week. The students came up with wonderful science fair topics, and are eager to get started on their at-home experiments.
- Math: This week we continued chapter 10 on geometry and spatial reasoning. Our focus was on transformations and congruent figures. To help the students to understand the three transformations (rotations, reflections, translations), they cut their initials out of construction paper then glued them onto another sheet of paper, demonstrating each transformation.
Next Week in 4th Grade...
- Language Arts: Reader's Theatre; Writing: work on expository book- chapter 4 will be an informational one about life after the expedition
- Social Studies: final week of Lewis & Clark- finish all tasks and write a speech to Congress; work on capitols- Students may use this link to practice:http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/USA_Geography/USA_Caps_1_1024.html
- Science: continue Salmon study; focus on scientific method & science fair questions; final electricity & magnet questions
- Math: continue chapter 10 on geometry and transformations
- March 28th (M): In-school basket weaving "field trip"
- March 29th (T): Salmon Release
- April 4-8 (M-F): Spring Break
- April 11th (M): Olympia capitol field trip: "Civic Education Tour" (8:30-2:30)
- April 14th (Th): 5:30 p.m. Science Fair