The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 28/October 11, 2020
On this mountain the LORD of hosts will provide for all peoples
Remember that The Family Zone is a playlist of options; don't get overwhelmed by the listing. The idea is to choose one or two ways to engage in some faith formation with your child this week based on the themes of the Sunday readings. There are many paths you can choose from that will mean the most to you and your kids and open up conversation about God!
SUNDAY READINGS: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/101120.cfm
- "Hugless Douglas and the Big Sleepover" by David Melling
- "The Relatives Came" by Cynthia Rylant
- "Do Unto Otters" by Laurie Keller
- "Cody and the Rules of Life" by Tricia Springstubb
- Brainstorm together as a family; what do you know about what is expected of you as a follower of Christ? Draw a mind map!
- Complete this crossword on the Ten Commandments: https://www.biblewise.com/kids/fun/ten-commandments-crossword.php
- Read the article: https://teachingcatholickids.com/the-beatitudes-for-families/ and write an example of each that you have experienced in your lives.
- Think about the word ATTITUDE. What is a good attitude? What is a bad attitude? Make a list! Why are attitudes important? What changes our attitude? Write a journal entry about this!
Pray this prayer from Pope Francis about Mary's YES and our own:
This prayer to the Holy Spirit invokes the presence of the Spirit in oneself. It is a great centering prayer written by St. Augustine:
- Play a game of Simon says. Connect "SIMON" to God...what does God say? Enjoy a conversation about that after the game!
- Choose one of these games to teach self regulation: https://www.yourtherapysource.com/blog1/2017/05/16/games-practice-self-regulation-skills/
- Try one of these games to focus on the Ten Commandments! https://catechistsjourney.loyolapress.com/2016/10/ten-commandments-games/
- Complete this object lesson together. It is a hands-on activity that shows the difference between God's expectations and the world's expectations: https://www.futureflyingsaucers.com/happiness-hamburger-beatitudes-object-lesson/
- Create a hospitality chart for your family and/or guests. Encourage each member to take a role in caring for others. Here is a sample: https://meaningfulmama.com/hospitality-chart-teaching-hospitality-to-kids.html
- Here is another object lesson on making room for Jesus: https://meaningfulmama.com/day-189-hospitality-with-martha-and.html
- Work on a welcome sign for your front yard, together, that lets your neighborhood know you
- Use this simple craft to understand the values of the Beatitudes: https://koriathome.com/free-printable-beatitudes-craft-for-kids/
- What do you do when friends come over? What do your parents do? How do you make them feel welcome?
- What are ways that you can say YES to God by the way you live your life?
- What would you do if God sent you a handwritten invitation in the mail to follow Him?
- The first reading talks about abundance. How has God blessed your family?
- Is God happy with the choices I make? Could they be better?