Welcome to 2014!!
What is your one word?
As you'll note below, we will not have our regular staff meeting tomorrow morning. I will be in the staff center with coffee and cocoa as a token of my appreciation for all that you do for Lowell. Please review the This Week's Events section quickly to review the next three days at Lowell. I've also reprinted and/or updated a few items from the last Flight for your review.
Here's to a great 2014!
This Week's Events
Monday, January 6
Tuesday, January 7
- Frozen Days
Wednesday, January 8
- NO staff meeting (Moved to 1/22; Caffeine & Curriculum postponed from that date TBD)
- Coffee & cocoa from Kathy in the staff center for all staff after 8:30; thanks for all you do!!
- Benchmarking as scheduled
- Battle of the Books in the LLC @ lunch
- After school tutoring; 3:30 in LLC
- Grade 4 F & P training; 4-5:30 @ Wheaton Community Center
Thursday, January 9
- Intervention Team/Staffings as scheduled
- Grade 5 F & P Training; 4-5:30 @ Wheaton Community Center
- (Girl Scouts; 6-7 p.m. in LLC)
Friday, January 10
- BLT; 8:30 in library
- Benchmarking as scheduled
- (Chess Club; 3:45 in LLC)
PTA Appreciation & Resources
Please keep in mind the following programs the PTA has to financially support teachers.
- Teacher wish list: Forms are in the office
- Teacher support money: $75 for full-time; $35 for part-time teachers (Receipts and reimbursement forms are available in the office.) Don't leave your money unused! This is not the same as district discretionary money.
Both of these programs can be used for classroom resources, supplies, field trips, or other instances in which you would ask parents to send in money. Please see Kathy with questions!
2014-15 District Calendar
Last night, the BOE approved the 2014-15 school calendar. Please note that the November 14 Institute will be a teacher workday for elementary, as it aligns with the end of the trimester. January 16th will be an elementary Institute Day. The secondary schools will do the opposite as they are on quarters.
After School Pick-Up
Please watch for our building F & P schedule by January 10.
F & P Message from Faith
Because of school being closed, we need to change a few dates for the Fountas and Pinnell trainings. This will impact only the sessions for grade 3 and kindergarten. All meetings are from 4:00- 5:30 at the Wheaton Community Center.
Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessments Trainings
- Gr 4: Jan 8
- Gr 5: Jan 9
- Gr 3: RESCHEDULED for Jan 13
- Gr 1: Jan 14
- Gr 2: Jan 15
- Kindergarten: Jan 16 (which was an earlier date and now we have chosen it once again)
Tech Tips: Conference Opportunities for Students
Next Committee Meetings
Wellness Committee: TBD
Instructional Team: Tuesday, January 21 @ 8:30 (LLC); we'll connect online prior to that.
Behavior Task Force: 1/2 Day to be scheduled for January
Technology: Tuesday, January 14; 3:40-4:10 (Office conference room)
*Agendas will be linked above moving forward.
Calendars: Scheduling Events
Long Term Planning
As we keep communication within school and with our parent community a priority, please communicate any important dates that parents may need to know. Please be thinking about special events that you or others in our building may host so we can plan for timely communication of those events.
- December 20-January 6: Winter Break
- January 15: Runathon incentive trip to Chuck E. Cheese
- January 16: Group pictures for yearbook in LLC
- January 21- F & P benchmarking begins at Lowell
- February 7: Assembly in A.M. (Rope Warrior; 9:45-10:30 (3-5); 10:45-11:30 (K-2) (Requires use of gym & multi-purpose room)
- February 14: Great America program logs due
- February 20: Cook's Night Out @ Chik-Fil-A
- February 28: Jamboree
- May 3: Lowell 5K
- June 3: Discovery Day
Interested in pursuing a grant? Read here about an opportunity for the Junior League of Kane and DuPage counties. The deadline for application is January 15.