Asparagus Pizza Bianca
Vina Aguirre Mod 5/6
- 2-3 red tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 pound of thin asparagus
- 1 handful of fresh sage leaves or rosemary
- 1/3 cup of part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup of reduced - fat parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (4 grams)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of yeast
- 4 cups of bread flour
Why pay for unhealthy, high sodium, high sugar, fat infested pizza, when you can use fresh, healthy ingredients to make healthy, tasty, asparagus pizza!
A spear of asparagus is just 4 calories, and contains no fat and no cholesterol. This pizza contains 498 calories per serving, 146 of which is fat. It contains only 4 grams of sugar, and has 27% of the recommended daily value of calcium.
The tomatoes in this recipe are fresh, and don't use jarred tomato sauce that are high in sodium. Fresh tomatoes are a great source of antioxidants and lycopene, which promote excellent bone health. They also lower total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglyceride fatty acids.
The cheese used in this recipe is part skim and reduced fat. Cheese is responsible for the production of the vitamin B12, which helps produce red blood cells. They are also a good source of protein, zinc, calcium, and phosphorus, promoting bone health, the repairing of tissues, and increasing immunity.
Let's Make This Pizza!
- To make the dough, put the yeast in the warm water with the sugar. Stir and let rest until frothy. Combine the flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture and mix in olive oil. Mix together, then turn out on a floured surface. Knead briskly for 5 to 10 minutes until smooth, shiny and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky. Shape into a ball. Put in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour. When ready, uncover the dough, punch out the air, then divide in two and shape into two balls. Let rise again if time permits, or roll out into a 12-inch pizza circle. Put directly on baking parchment or pizza pan. (Use other ball for another pizza or freeze for later use). Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While dough is baking, combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the sauce, place the tomatoes in a food processor or blender and pulse until it is the desired consistency of your sauce.
- Trim asparagus spears to about 6 inches long. Slice thicker spears in half lengthwise. Toss in a bowl with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, sage or rosemary leaves, salt and pepper.
- Brush dough with garlic-oil mixture. Spread mozzarella over dough. Arrange asparagus in a circular pattern on the dough with tips facing out. Top with Parmesan and remaining sage.
- Return PIZZA to oven and bake pizza on lower rack (or grill) until cheese is melted and asparagus begins to brown.