Happy Fourth Quarter!
- Grade cards went home on Friday, so if you haven't seen your third grader's yet, check their backpack today!
- I can't believe the school year is flying by so quickly! I love this group of students, and I sure don't want to think about them moving on.
- Remember to sign up for EXPLORE summer program--right here at Portland! There are very cool classes to choose from!
- If at all possible, please send headphones with your third grader to school this week if you aren't already.
- We have already gone through all of our class headphones, and over half of the class does not have their own set-- we need to bring those in from home.
- If there is no way your family can purchase headphones this week, please send a note and I will find a way to provide them.
- Our 2nd and 3rd grade music program is finally this week!
- Join us Thursday evening at 6 pm to be dazzled by Disney songs!
- Students will also perform during the school day at 2:15 pm.
Upcoming Field Trip
- Watch for a permission slip on Tuesday-- our class gets to go to a Springfield Cardinals' game in May!
- We have started our unit on fractions in math this week--find opportunities at home to show fractional parts, like on pizza night!
- In reading, we are beginning a unit on understanding the author's point of view. How can we tell what the author's opinion is, and can we explain how the author's perspective is the same or different as our own? This unit includes author's purpose, point of view (first and third person), and perspective.
- In writing, third graders will be trying their hands at persuasive writing. Our first question--should we have homework?
- Congratulations to the four Naegele class students who placed in the Language Arts Fair (LAD Fair)! I am so proud of all the writers who participated, and of our winners! We have very talented writers in here!
- Stay tuned for more competitive writing opportunities!
- We will begin our next major unit this week-- all about PLANTS!