The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - October 24, 2021
A Note from Principal Welch
I sure hope you have stayed dry this weekend. I have loved listening to the rain fall and the wind blowing this morning. It is still hard to believe we are beginning the last week of October and tomorrow marks day 38 of the school year. Our first Quarter of school ends on Friday, November 5. Following a bit later in November, we will hold parent-teacher conferences. Elementary parent-teacher conferences will be held November 18-24. Many teachers have already started scheduling conference times with parents. If your conference is online, links will be sent prior to your scheduled conference times. Your classroom teacher will share their sign-up for in-person or virtual conferences. We ask that this year, only the parent(s) and student (when invited) should attend conferences. Please contact your student’s classroom teacher with conference schedule questions.
In November, we will continue to hold a Veteran's Day concert. Mrs. Hanning and Mrs. Hoffman have been working with our intermediate students to teach and learn specific songs that will be recorded and shared in our Veteran's Day virtual concert. This concert will be shared with all classrooms on November 10. Classrooms will watch the concert and then I will share the link with families, as well. We would like to spotlight some of our own Veterans from our CL community as part of this virtual concert. Please see the note below from Mrs. Hanning on how you can share a picture with her that we can include. Thank you!
When our school transitioned to remote learning in March 2020, I moved our school newsletters to a weekly email to families. I wanted to keep all school information timely and everything was so new for each of us. Last school year, I also continued weekly newsletters for the community. I want to be responsive to your wants and needs, so I am asking for families to CLICK HERE to access a quick survey to provide feedback on how frequently you'd like school newsletters to be sent out. Thank you!
Thank you for your continued support of our school and for sharing your amazing students with us each day! Our staff is so lucky! I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead!
~ Jen Welch, Principal
•• SCHOOL NEWS ••
Attention all Veterans!
Hello Cottage Lake Families,
Veterans Day is soon approaching and we cannot wait to showcase a virtual concert to our Cottage Lake community! Do you have a Veteran or an Active Military Personnel in your family?
Here is what we need from you to help make our virtual concert memorable and special:
- Choose a photo of your Veteran or Active Military family member to send in. Feel free to provide us the name of the service member and any additional information we can include in our virtual concert.
- Please send this photo to my e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will add submitted photos to our presentation!
We need all photos no later than Wednesday, November 3.
Thank you for helping to honor this important holiday!
We are still in need of one more volunteer to help on picture retake day. Dorian Studio will be here taking pictures 11am-1:30pm. If you are interested in being a volunteer please email Sarah McKinnon at email@example.com. Thank you
•• REPEAT SCHOOL NEWS ••
COVID safety updates
Families can find the most up-to-date COVID health and safety information by clicking the links below.
- King County Quarantine and Isolation Guidance
- Families can access the 2021-2022 NSD COVID-19 Safety Protocols by clicking here.
- Families can access our NSD COVID-19 Data Dashboard by clicking here.
Health Check Question to review daily
Health Check Questions:
1. In the past 24 hours has the student experienced any of the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100.4 or above
- Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing
- Loss of Taste or Smell
- Muscle Pain or Body Aches
- Sore Throat
- Congestion or Runny Nose
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Other signs of new illness that are unrelated to a preexisting condition (such as seasonal allergies)
2. Has the student had any of the symptoms of COVID-19 listed above within the past 3 days that lasted more than 24 hours?
3. Has the student been in close contact with anyone with confirmed COVID-19 within the last 14 days? Close contact means being within 6 feet (2 meters) of an infected person for 15 minutes or more.
4. Has the student had a positive COVID-19 test for active virus in the past 10 days?
5. Within the past 14 days, has a public health or medical professional told the student to self-monitor, self-isolate, or self-quarantine because of concerns about COVID-19?
Lunch menu changes
If you are printing out the menu at the beginning of the month, there will inevitably be changes before the month is over.
Although our department strives to make changes at least 7 days ahead, there are weeks when we must make a change with 2-3 days' notice due to delivery shortages, today we have had to make a change to Friday's menu.
For up-to-date menu information please review our menu online (see the link below).
•• DISTRICT NEWS ••
•• REPEAT of DISTRICT NEWS ••
School Board approves three funding measures
During the Oct. 11 meeting, the Northshore School Board voted to place three funding measures on the February 8, 2022 ballot.
These three measures continue our work to build better together: modernizing schools, sustaining technology, and increasing opportunities.
- The Educational Programs and Operations Levy (EP&O) and the Technology Levy are not new taxes, but renewals of funding measures that are set to expire this year. These two levies would continue to provide funding for critical staffing and programming that support all Northshore students.
- The Capital Projects Bond would replace an expiring bond and help us address our highest facility needs.
This fall and winter, we will be sharing more information about the proposed projects and how they support our students and District.
CLICK HERE to learn more about the measures.
Free and Reduced lunch application
Remember: families must reapply every year!
You can also visit the Northshore Free and Reduced Priced meals website here: https://www.nsd.org/schools/get-started/food-services/free-and-reduced-price-breakfast-lunch
Cottage Lake Elementary
At Cottage Lake Elementary, it is our united mission to build a safe, engaging, and inclusive environment of resilient lifelong learners. In partnership with our vibrant community, we embrace our diversity and strive to foster trust and kindness.