ITSO @ Hawai'i CC
Special Edition Newsletter | April 2020
Support for Distance Education Classes
- Leanne Urasaki and Emily Zappeto are available for support for Laulima. Please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions or to set up a web-based meeting via Zoom.
- Training materials and videos on Laulima tools are available through our Badging Program (request access).
Hawai'i CC Faculty available for one-to-one email/phone/web support
You can also email the faculty listed below if you need help with your online class.
Carrie Butler, BEaT, Manono (email@example.com)
Susie Dill, BEaT, Manono (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sam Giordanengo, HUM, Manono (email@example.com)
Lucy Jones, SSci, Pālamanui (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Robyn Kalauli, ENG, Manono (email@example.com)
- Kristine Kotecki, ENG, Manono (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Luria Namba, MNS, Pālamanui (email@example.com)
Beth Sanders, BEaT, Pālamanui (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Elizabeth Shaver, SSCI, Pālamanui (email@example.com)
Kate Sims, ENG, Pālamanui (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Neva Supe-Roque, EDvance, Manono (email@example.com)
UH System Support
- UH System training materials and resources are available on their Teaching Online During an Emergency website.
- UH System ITS Help Desk is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist with Laulima and other technology issues. Phone: (800) 558-2669 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- UH System Laulima Support is available using the Request Assistance link found at the bottom of any Laulima webpage. Responses will be sent via UH email.
Web Conferencing Support
Support continues to be available if you have questions or need support with using web conferencing tools to support your class:
- Alan Ku, Kō Education Center (Formerly NHERC), 808-969-8975, email@example.com
- Neal Uehara, Manono, 808-934-2563 (office), 808-938-3920 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org
UHM ITS Zoom video conf Help Staff e-Mail, email@example.com
Below are additional training and support resources for Zoom and Google Hangouts Meet.
- Zoom Overview (24 page guide)
- Zoom's video tutorials page (many topics covered)
- Tips and Tricks for Teachers Educating on Zoom
- Zoom Online Event Best Practices
- How to Screen Share a PowerPoint and Video Simultaneously
- How to record a Zoom Meeting or Lecture
Google Hangouts Meet
Uploading and Sharing Recorded Videos
Please do not upload your videos to Laulima. Instead, upload videos to Google Drive or YouTube and then share them via Laulima.
- If you are concerned about privacy and sharing your videos materials broadly when using Google Drive, select the share with "Anyone at University of Hawaii" or list individual collaborators. A note was placed on p.4 to remind faculty to remind their viewers (students) to log in with their Google@UH/hawaii.edu credentials to access.
Testing Information and Support
Transitioning out of the physical classroom also means rethinking how testing will be done.
A good place to start is by going through Online Assessment Strategies and Tips, a newly-created resource from UH System. This resource includes information and tips about online testing and alternative assessment strategies.
If your choice is to follow through with testing online, here are a few additional resources that may help.
- Proctoring a tests via Zoom
This document contains instructions and tips for proctoring both Laulima and "paper" tests using Zoom.
Google Tips and Resources
Some of you may be using Google Drive to support your classes. Below are some tips and resources you find helpful.
- File>Make a Copy
- How to Force a Copy of a Google Doc, Slide, Sheet, or Drawing
- Template Links
- Voice Typing
- How to Cite Sources
- How to Insert GIFs
- How to Edit Images
- Use the Google Docs Explore Tool
- How to Edit Microsoft Office Files in Drive (without converting)
- How to Access Google Files Offline
In this video tutorial from Simpletivity, Scott Friesen shows you everything you need to know about creating surveys, receiving responses, and so much more. This beginner's guide will have you using Google Forms like a pro in no time.
This video tutorial covers what you need to know to make your first quiz including the different types of questions and overall settings.