Engage. Educate. Empower.
Volume 2 ~ Issue 11 ~ Week of October 8, 2023
Message from the Principal 💛
I'm sooooooooooo excited to see you back on campus on Tuesday, October 10th! 💛 It has been so lonely without you!! Please note: Tuesday will be a MINIMUM Day, so you will go to Advisory first, then all 6 periods, then be dismissed at 1:15pm. Please plan accordingly!!
I hope you had an awesome Fall Break that was restful and rejuvenating so that you are ready to take on the last 8 weeks of the Fall Semester!! You can hit the ground running by attending tutoring after school any Monday through Thursday, and we also have a Saturday Academy this Saturday, October 14th! Remember, Saturday Academy is also a great opportunity for you to clear your tardies and absences. The next Progress Report is coming up at the end of this month on October 27th, so Vikings, be sure to do what you can to get off the Non-Privilege List (if you're on it from PR1) or to stay off of it again!
This month, I am doing an attendance challenge! What does that mean? It means that I am challenging each Viking to improve their attendance...not only to school, but also to each of their classes! Read more about it below...hint: it involves free tacos!! 🌮
Let's make it a great week, Vikings!! Enjoy your last two days of break and I'll see you on Tuesday, October 10th! 😊
📢Minimum Day on Tuesday, October 10th!!!📢
Ms. Scott's Vikings Attendance Challenge for October! 👍🏾
Viking Families, this quarter, I would like everyone to put some extra effort into improving attendance in the Vikings Attendance Challenge for the month of October. This means, not only attendance to school, but also, attendance to each of your classes!
My goal is for MVA to increase our Average Daily Attendance by 2-3% for the month of October! If we can achieve this goal by the end of the month, then I will host a free taco luncheon for entire school!! 😋
I know we can do it, so I wanted to provide you some tips to make it happen...
- Set goals: If you have poor attendance, start with a small goal! For example, you might set a goal to attend school every day for a week or a month. Once you reach that goal, set a bigger one to achieve! Having a clear goal in mind can help you to stay focused and motivated.
- Get organized: Being organized can help you be more prepared for school in the mornings. You can try to pack your backpack the night before and lay out your clothes to avoid rushing in the morning.
- Develop a routine: Establishing a consistent routine can help you form good habits and make attending school a regular part of your day. This might include going to bed and waking up at the same time each day, eating a healthy breakfast, and setting aside time for homework and studying.
- Stay engaged: Students who are engaged with their schoolwork and extracurricular activities are more likely to attend school regularly. If you aren't already, try to participate in some of our MVA clubs, VALOR sports, or other activities that interest you.
- Seek help when needed: If you are are struggling with attendance or other issues, please reach out to your teachers, counselors, APs, or myself. We can provide support and guidance to help you overcome your challenges and succeed in school.
Looking for students to represent their peers on Vikings Council!!
"I wish MVA had this..." or "I really don't like that students at MVA have to..." or "I wish MVA students had more of a voice about..."
We are looking for any students who are interested in serving on the Vikings Council representing your peers at MVA. The Vikings Council is a new group that I am forming in order to provide opportunities for more student voice here at MVA. Serving on this council will give students the chance to bring questions, comments, and concerns directly to me for discussion and resolution! We will meet once a month during Advisory and I hope to have all the different types of students we have at MVA, represented on this Vikings Council. That means it is open to everyone! We will be selecting 10-12 students to serve as members. So if you're wondering, "should I join this?", the answer is YES! 😊
If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, please fill out the form below or click the link in your Jupiter messages and I will be in touch with you shortly!
Click this link to sign up: forms.gle/wLnZ7pUTfGPkmcPu7
Upcoming VALOR Sports Games - Saturday, Oct. 14th
📢 Upcoming Community Events 📢
Participate in the San Diego's "United Against Hate" Video Contest
The United States Attorney’s Office, along with the Earl B. Gilliam Bar Foundation, will be hosting a video contest for middle & high schoolers, to give our San Diego youth a platform to speak out against hate.
More information, including the October 30 deadline, the methods of submission, the prompts, and award information can be found on the flyers below.
Interested in donating to MVA?!?
The mission of Mar Vista Academy is to engage, educate and empower each student to thrive in the global community.
- 2023-2024 Bell Schedule
- 2023-2024 Important Dates
- 2023-2024 Daily Calendar
- Follow us on Social Media!!
Please reach out with any questions, comments, or concerns!
The Sweetwater Union High School District prohibits discrimination, intimidation, harassment (including sexual harassment) or bullying based on a person’s actual or perceived age, ancestry, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, immigration status, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. For questions or complaints, contact Equity Compliance Officer Dr. Vernon Moore at 1130 Fifth Avenue, Chula Vista, CA 91911, (619) 691-5564, firstname.lastname@example.org; Title IX Coordinator Susan Park at 670 L Street, Suite G, Chula Vista, CA 91911, (619) 600-4900, email@example.com; and Section 504 Coordinator Sonia Picos at 1130 Fifth Avenue, Chula Vista, CA 91911, (619) 691-5564, firstname.lastname@example.org.