The Glacier Bear Connection
SHERROD ELEMENTARY NEWSLETTER VOL 21.4
SEPTEMBER 7, 2020
We are inviting students and staff to come to school
dressed in Red, White and Blue to honor those who have fallen.
If your child is a Boy Scout or Girl Scout,
Please have them dress in uniform on Friday, September 11.
In music class, children have been learning sign language for the Alaska song
as well as taking time to remember 9/11.
We will have a moment of silence on Friday to remember those who fallen that day.
Lessons recorded for "At Home Learning" or school closures
District Update on Recorded or Live Online ZOOM Lessons
(This covers both "At Home Learning"
or temporary school closure):
Lessons will or may be
recorded for later access by
students enrolled in the course or classroom.
Students are not required to
display their live image through
the video function. Please remember that cameras capture
not only the student but also background
content within the camera’s frame.
Thank you for the generous donation!!!
Believe Kids is our ONLY school wide fundraiser! Your student(s) will come home with a catalog from Believe Kids this week. Please take the time to look through the catalog, purchase if you’d like and invite your child(ren) to reach out to family and friends to make purchases and offer their support to Sherrod Elem.
Students who sell even one (1) item will be eligible for a prize.
Thank you for supporting our school!
The Great Body Workshop Lessons
In concordance with Alaska Safe Children's Act; all MSBSD schools will be presenting lessons from the Great Body Workshop on personal safety. Here are the topics covered at each grade level. These lessons will be present by September 30. If you have any questions regarding topics covered, please contact your child's teacher to discuss what will be presented.
3rd Grade – Unit 6: My Family, Your Family, Lesson 4: Personal Safety
4th Grade – Unit 5: It’s My Body- Lesson 4: Prevention of Abuse
5th Grade – Unit 5: These Crazy, Mixed Up Emotions- Lesson 4: Send the Message My Body is Private
It's super easy to report an absence through the Synergy PARENTVUE App. When using the app, please be sure to note the reason for absence along with the absent code.
It is super important that EVERY absence is reported. Thank you for helping us maintain accountability for all absences!
Outside as much as possible
Picture Day ID: EVTTQWNV9
VIRTUAL "AT HOME LEARNERS" PICTURE TIME IS FROM 12:30-1:30
ORDER YOUR PICTURES ONLINE
Virtue of the Week
The virtue of the week is JOYFULNESS. Each week classes will select a student of the week who has demonstrated the week's virtue. Those students will be part of the morning show on Fridays.
Joyfulness is an inner sense of peace and happiness. You appreciate the gifts each day brings. Without joyfulness, when the fun stops, our happiness stops. Joy can carry us through the hard times even when we are feeling sad. Joy gives us wings.
Student of the Week
Kailye Alcock (Kaje)
Notes from Nurse Dana
Your child need to be kept at home if they are exhibiting any of the following symptoms:
- fever/chills cough
- shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
- congestion/runny nose
- sore throat
- new loss of taste or smell
- muscle/joint/body aches
- or fatigue.
Any of these symptoms listed may be symptoms of COVID-19. Please contact your health care provider and follow their guidance; they may want to test your child for COVID-19.
There are certain criteria that must be met before your child can come back to school after having any of these symptoms. Please contact Nurse Dana at 907-761-4103 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the plan for returning to school.
As always, other contagious illnesses or conditions such as conjunctivitis (pink eye) or head lice must be communicated to the school prior to returning.
Thank you for your support!
SchoolCafe gives students and parents a quick and easy way to stay on top of their nutrition. Submitting eligibility applications has never been easier, SchoolCafe allows parents to quickly submit for Free & Reduced Meal benefits.
School Dismissal Manager helps to keep your child safe while quickly communicating important dismissal details for school office staff. Talk with your school office staff today to get signed up.
Mark your calendars
- 9/6: Virtue of the Week: JOYFULNESS
- 9/8: Tuesday Walking Club Last Name A-J begins 3:45 pm
- 910: Thursday Walking Club Last Name K-Z begins at 3:45 pm
- 9/13: Virtue of the Week: CLEANLINESS
- 9/15: Tuesday Walking Club Last Name A-J begins 3:45 pm
- 9/17: Thursday Walking Club Last Name K-Z begins at 3:45 pm
- 9/18: Fall School Pictures
- 9/20: Virtue of the Week: CREATIVITY
- 9/22: Tuesday Walking Club Last Name A-J begins 3:45 pm
- 9/24: Thursday Walking Club Last Name K-Z begins at 3:45 pm
- 9/27: Virtue of the Week: ASSERTIVENESS
- 9/29: Tuesday Walking Club Last Name A-J begins 3:45 pm
- 10/1: TENTATIVE Basketball Begins
- 10/1: Thursday Walking Club Last Name K-Z begins at 3:45 pm
- 10/4: Virtue of the Week: UNDERSTANDING
- 10/11: Virtue of the Week: PATIENCE
- 10/14: End of Q1
- 10/15: Great Alaskan Shake Out Earthquake Drill 10:15 am
- 10/18: Virtue of the Week: RESPONSIBILITY
- 10/25: Virtue of the Week: MODERATION
- 10/26-10/30: Red Ribbon Week Spirit Week
- 10/26: Red Ribbon Spirit Week: Wear Red Day
- 10/27: Red Ribbon Spirit Week: Aloha Day
- 10/28: Red Ribbon Spirit Week: Hat Day and/or Sherrod Colors (Blue/White)
- 10/29: Red Ribbon Spirit Week: Crazy Hair Day
- 10/30: Red Ribbon Spirit Week: Super Hero Day