Meat and Dairy Substitutes
Choosing to become a vegetarian
- Calcium-provided by beans and peas, buts, dark-green vegetables, and fortified soy milk products.
- Iron-foods high in vitamin C boosts absorption of iron from plants.
- Vitamin B12 and D - found in meats, eggs, and dairy products but not in plants foods.
- Protein-plant foods containing protein include soy, quinoa, buckwheat, and amaranth, protein is also provided by combining plant foods, like rice and beans or wheat and nuts.
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups non-fat cottage cheese
- 1 package part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles