A Message from Principal Nixon--May 10, 2021
Dear Northwoods Families,
I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend! There is a lot happening here at Northwoods over the next few weeks, so please take a few minutes to read through the information and updates below.
Last Koala Tea Family Time of 2020-2021 School Year Next Week!
Please join Ms. Helton and Mr. Henderson for KoalaTea Family Time, Wednesday (May 19th) from 5:30-6:30, on preparing socially and emotionally for Summer!
- Link to Join: https://meet.google.com/jfn-kyqj-jic
Non-Returning Family Survey:
It is essential that we know which students will NOT be returning for the 21-22 school year so that we can move students off of our waitlist. Please take a few minutes to complete the short survey linked below for each Kindergarten - 4th-grade child in your family who WILL NOT be attending Northwoods for the 21-22 school year.
End-of-Year Material Return:
All instructional materials (calculators, novels, math manipulative kits, etc.) that have been distributed to students throughout the year must be returned to school by May 27th. For your convenience, we have prepared a list of materials that should be returned for each grade level. Please see the list below.
Families who are planning to move outside of Wake County and/or NC must return all district-issued Chromebooks and hotspots prior to leaving.
2021-22 Virtual Academy Waitlist:
The application period for Virtual Academy for the 2021-22 school year is now closed. Families wishing to enroll in the WCPSS Virtual Academy after the registration deadline are required to complete the waitlist request form by Wednesday, May 12, 2021. Admission to the WCPSS Virtual Academy is not guaranteed and will be determined based on course/class availability. Families will receive more information after May 12, 2021.
Final Asynchronous Days:
The final asynchronous days for the 20-21 school year are posted below. Please plan accordingly.
- Thursday, May 13th
- Wednesday, May 26th
End of Grade Testing for Virtual Academy Students
EOG Testing for Virtual Academy Students: End-Of Grade testing for Virtual Academy students began today. Please see the information below. The schedule for testing is as follows:
- Monday, May 10th: 3rd Grade VA ELA
- Tuesday, May 11th: 3rd Grade VA Math
- Thursday, May 13th: 5th Grade VA ELA
- Friday, May 14th: 5th Grade VA Math
- Monday, May 17th: 5th Grade VA Science
- Tuesday, May 18th: 3rd Grade VA Read to Achieve Test (if applicable)
- Wednesday, May 19th,: 4th Grade VA ELA
- Thursday, May 20th: 4th Grade VA Math
Arrival and Dismissal on Test Days: On test days, please ensure your child arrives on campus between 8:45 and 9:15. Because testing sessions are considered secure, tardy students will not be permitted to join a testing session once testing has started for the day. If a child arrives late, they will be sent back home. If needed, your child will be provided breakfast and lunch free of charge. They will be placed in a separate classroom or other designated testing location with other Virtual Academy students for the duration of the assessment. Your child will have a maximum of 180 minutes to take each End-of-Grade assessment.
Dismissal for VA students will be facilitated between 12:30 and 1:00 on each testing day. We ask that parents arrive on time. Students will be dismissed from the testing location once all students in that location have completed the test. A staff member will escort your child to the front office, where they will wait to be picked up. If your child is to remain at school after testing has been completed, please send them with their Chromebook/laptop so that they can join their Google Meet.
Health/Safety Protocols on Test Days: All WCPSS students are required to follow established Health/Safety protocols and guidelines while on campus. Students must wear a face covering over their nose and mouth at all times, remain socially distanced, and limit contact with others. We will provide hand sanitizer prior to and after the testing session and your child will have opportunities to wash their hands as needed.
For more specific health/safety information, please refer to the following documents:
- Health Screening Guidelines
- Healthy Hygiene Guidelines
- Face Covering Guidelines
- Water Fountain Guidelines
Please send your child with a water bottle and a book to read in the event that they have finished the test before testing time has ended. Students do not need to bring technology (Chromebook/laptops) to school on testing days unless they are planning to remain at school for the remainder of the day.
District Transportation on Testing Days: If you requested WCPSS Transportation for your child on testing days, they will be provided a Temporary Bus Pass when they arrive at school. Please ensure that you know where your child’s bus stop is located and the times for pick up (be at the stop at least 10 minutes before scheduled pick up time) and drop off. You can find this information on wcpss.net/transportation under Bus Routes.
Make-Up Testing Days: If your child is sick or unable to attend on his/her scheduled testing dates, they may attend on one of the designated make-up dates listed below. Please send an email to our Testing Coordinator, Lorrie Sardiello, at firstname.lastname@example.org if your child needs to make up an assessment.
- Wednesday, May 12th: 3rd Grade VA Make Up
- Thursday, May 13th: 3rd Grade VA Make Up
- Tuesday, May 18th: 5th Grade VA Make Up
- Friday, May 21st: 4th/5th Grade VA Make Up
- Wednesday, May 26th: VA Make Up
Save the Date: May 26th
Please mark your calendars because we have several important events (virtual field day, material return, and Boosterthon prize-pick-ups) happening on Wednesday, May 26th.
- Virtual Field Day--Our specialist team is putting together a variety of fun games/activities that students of all ages can complete at home with commonly found items/materials on May 26th. Your child's teacher will post the activities closer to that date.
- Material Return Day--Don't forget: Students must turn in ALL supplies that have been distributed throughout the year by May 26th. Material drop-off will run from 8:00 - 5:00 PM. Please see the 2020-21 Material Return List for a complete list (with pictures) of items that should be returned.
- Boosterthon Prize Pick-up: Students who logged in and/or earned pledges during our DanceFit Fundraiser may pick up their prizes on May 26th from 8:00 - 5:00 PM.
End of Year Parades: Just like last year, we will be conducting two separate end-of-year parades to close out the 2020-21 school year. Both parades will take place on the morning of June 11th (rain or shine). Please see the informational flyers below for details.
Join the PTA
Interested in joining the PTA? Please our memberhub site:
There are lots of opportunities to help with our garden. For more information, please visit:
Northwoods PTA Website