Where Did Cereal Originally Come From?
How did it change throughout history?
- 1980's- Cornflakes, grape-nuts, and shredded wheat were invented and sold
- 1950's- Chex cereal was known as the 50's cereal
- 1960's- Cartoon characters were added to the sides of cereal boxes
- 1980's- Boxes had popular pop-culture characters on them; such as Pac-Man and Donkey Kong
Cereal Boxes Through History
Origin of the Word
The word cereal comes from the Roman goddess of agriculture Ceres
How it Became Popular
- After the Civil War, many people started cereal companies
- In 1870, John Harvey Kellogg created the first wheat flakes
- In 1906, Will Keith Kellogg built and owned the Battle Creek Toasted Cornflake Company
- When sugar, prizes, and box mascots were added to cereal, children started to like cereal more than they did