La República Dominicana
The Dominican Republic
Welcome to the Dominican Republic! Here you will learn of the beautiful sites and lovely weather, along with the rich history and exciting culture, including food, dances, and holidays!
The Dominican Republic is located in the Caribbean, neighboring Haiti. It takes 2/3 of the island Hispaniola. The total size of the country is about the size of New Hampshire and Vermont combine. Often a vacation site, this country has beaches, rainforests, savannahs and highlands. The tallest mountain in the Caribbean, Pico Duarte, is located in the Dominican Republic.
The Dominican Republic has very nice weather year round. The average temperature is 25°C (77°F). There is seasonal rainfall. October through April are the wettest months in the North. May through November are the months with the most rain in the South. The best time to visit the country is between November and April. In Santo Domingo, you get about 150 to 300 hours of sunshine throughout each month.
Nearly every meal in the Dominican Republic consists of meat or seafood, vegetables, and most important: rice. They have a Spanish, indigenous Taíno, and African influences on their recipes. Middle-Eastern food has also been taken in by the Dominicans. Traditional breakfasts are made of mangú (man-goo), fired eggs, fried salami, fried cheese and sometime avocado. This is called "The Three Hits". Lunch is the most important meal for them, same as Spain. This very important meal consists of a side salad occasionally, rice, red beans, and meat (beef, pork, chicken, or fish) and is nicknamed "The Flag".
"The Three Hits'' or "Los Tres Golpes"
A breakfast with Fried salami, Fried eggs, and Mangú.
A traditional lunch consisting of Red beans, Rice, and in this image, beef.
A lovely finger food made of whole wheat and stuffed with ground beef.
While visiting this beautiful country, be sure to visit the incredible site and be included in exciting activities!
In 1492, Christopher Columbus sailed and discovered the island he soon named Hispaniola. The Spaniards then establish Santo Domingo as a small colony, which becomes the Spanish capital of America in 1496. The Spaniards then started bringing in African slaves. Then the Treaty of Ryswick gives the eastern part of the island to Spain, and the western side to France in 1697. Later in 1795, Spain had to give its entire portion of the island to France. Then about 60 years later in 1808, a revolt by Spanish Creoles was successful, and they won back Santo Domingo. Then is 1822, Haiti conquered and reclaimed Santo Domingo. Yet another revolt over threw the president of Haiti and Santo Domingo won its independence, becoming the Dominican Republic. It was put back into Spain's hands. After yet another revolt, Spain withdrew from the Dominican Republic. In 1906, the U.S. and the Dominican Republic signed a treaty and the U.S. took over the customs, in exchange for purchasing the small country's debt. The U.S. then developed a military government for the republic in 1916. In 1924 the US left and the Dominican Republic established a democratically elected constitutional government. Many decades later in 1988, The Dominican Republic suffered an economic depression.
These Pictures are Located Across the Country
The Dominican Republic's government is a democratic republic. Their current President is Danilo Medina. The Vice President is currently Margarita Cedeno De Fernandez. The President is the chief of state and head of the government. The Cabinet is chosen by the President. The President and Vice President are elected on the same ballot with a 2- round absolute vote. They serve a term of 4 years.
The Dominicans' official language is Spanish. The ethnic rates are: mixed 73% of the population, 16% are white, and 11% is black. 95% of the population are Roman Catholics, and the other 5% are other religions. In Santo Domingo, there are about 2.945 million people. There are about 18.73 births per 1,000 people. The ratio of men to female is about 1 male per female. Sadly, there about 18.84 infant deaths per 1,000 live births
For a long time, The Dominican Republic was known for their tobacco, sugar, and coffee exports, but recently, tourists, telecommunications, and free trade zones have caused the service sector to become more of a priority then agriculture. Mining has also been very helpful in the Republic's economy. They have relied on the U.S. for about half of the exports. As of 2014, the unemployment rate is about 6.4%, but the about 41.1% of the population lives under the poverty line, or live in poverty. The inflation rate is about 3% as of 2014. Their main agricultural products are cocoa, coffee, tobacco, cotton, beans, bananas, sugarcane, eggs, beef, dairy products, pigs, cattle, corn, potatoes, and rice.