Adult and Community Education
"In The Know" - 2/23/2016
A Message from the Leadership Team
On Thursday, the Florida State Board of Education voted to lower the pass rate for the GED tests from 150 to 145. This move brought on by its recognition that students who passed the latest, tougher version of the GED were doing better in college than high school graduates. The rule will be retroactive to January 2014. By late March 2016, affected current and former students will be notified by the Florida Department of Education as well as by our program. Bonnie Thompson has already started identifying those affected and has found several students who will now be awarded their diploma. Please help spread the work about this change.
It is that time of year again. Yes, it is time to Post-test our students. Please help your Site Coordinators organize testing by keeping your attendance in Focus up to date and accurate. Help your students prepare by teaching them test taking strategies. Students cannot fail the CASAS or TABE test but they must take it at the beginning, mid and end of each term. The Adult Education program's success is measured in the area of student growth on these tests. Thank you.
Community Education is gearing up for the Winter 2 term. New classes this term are: Introduction to Drones; Organize, Edit, Print, and Share Your Digital Photos; On Your Own, A Journey Towards Financial Independence. Additionally, Adult & Community Education will be at two upcoming community events: Cruise-In/Fly-In event Saturday, March 5th to raise money for LWTC student scholarships, and the Naples Chamber of Commerce Wake Up Naples on Thursday, March 10. Come and support the team at one or both of these upcoming events.
FLORIDA SOUTHWESTERN STATE COLLEGE (FSW) Collier Campus Visit
TECHNICAL TRAINING SPOTLIGHT: NURSING ASSISTANT
This short term training program is designed to prepare students for employment as a Nursing Assistant at the aide/orderly level with hospitals, nursing homes, home health agencies, and other health care centers. This program is offered at Lorenzo Walker Technical College. Click here to bring you to that program's information page. This program is also available at Immokalee Technical College or iTECH. Click here for that program information.
Click here to see the complete O*NET report (including salary, and job outlook information) on Nursing Assistants.
THIS WEEK'S CAREER CLUSTER VIDEO (remember a career cluster is a group or family of related careers, there are 17 different career clusters.)
EDUCATION AND TRAINING CLICK HERE
CAREERSOURCE HELPS PEOPLE FIND JOBS! CLICK ON THE LINKS FOR MORE INFORMATION
WWW.EMPLOYFLORIDA.COM click on this link to bring you to a great job search tool!
- Outside Sales Representative - Naples, FL - 79199 Allied Building Products
- Senior Painter ArtisNaples Naples, FL $11.00 to $16.00 per hour
- Sales Associate ABC LIQUORS, INC. dba ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Naples, FL
- Food Service Worker Vi At Bentley Village Naples, FL
- CNA,LPN,RN Vi At Bentley Village Naples, FL
YOUR LIFE, YOUR MONEY: Financial Literacy
Check out the calculators and tools for budgeting and finances! Learn about how to plan for your financial future with these resources from PBS (Public Broadcasting). Lots of great resources! Click here to find out more!
FREE TAX PREPARATION ASSISTANCE
AARP TAX-AIDE offers free income tax preparation help for low to moderate income tax payers. http://www.aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action
The United Way also offers free income tax help at many locations including Naples.
- GED Instructors and Coordinators - The GED Workshop hosted by Florida IPDAE will be on Saturday, February 27th from 8:00 AM to Noon - Please make RSVP with Ingrid Figares.
- Registration is underway for the Winter 2 Community Education classes. You may register two ways: online at www.ColierAdultEd.com or by calling 239.377.1234
- Adults decide for themselves what is important to be learned.
- Adults expect what they are learning to be immediately useful.
- Adults have much experience upon which to draw from and may have fixed viewpoints.
- Ray Royce, our Community Education Sign Language Teacher and CCPS instructor, was invited to attend the Assistive Technology Industry Association Conference. Mr. Royce was one of six teachers of the Deaf or Hard of Hearing, from around the state selected to work with the Resource Materials and Technology Center and the PS/RtI Project.