5th Grade News
January 15, 2016
The link is on the front page of my website. Click the button "Winter Ball Flyer".
- Tonight-Friday, Jan. 15 – Parent's Night Out from 6-9 PM-Minions Movie
- Monday, Jan. 18 - No School-MLK Holiday
- Tuesday, Jan. 19 – Girl Scout Meeting @ 6 PM
- Wednesday, Jan. 20 – Early Release Day Dismissal @ 12:15 PM (End of 2nd Quarter)
- Friday, Jan. 22 – School Store Open 7:45-8:10 AM
- Monday, Jan. 25 - No School (Teacher Workday)
- Friday, Jan. 29 – Winter Dance $5.00 from 6-8 PM (proceeds go towards Charleston Trip)
- Tuesday, Feb. 2- Mandatory Packing Meeting for Charleston Trip from 6-7 PM for chaperones and 7-7:45 PM for all others to meet chaperones and discuss the trip
- Wednesday-Thursday, Feb. 10-11- Field Trip Charleston, SC
- Monday, February 15- No School- Teacher Workday
- Friday, Feb. 2- $25 for School Handprint Tile for Parkside Family Wall due (extra forms in office)
Charleston Field Trip-February 10-11, 2016
The trip is underway!
**The online payment feature is up and running.** The total cost of the trip is $275.00
*A new payment option is open if you are paying a different amount, as per your discussion with your child's teacher, or if you are sponsoring another student.
- Monday, Feb. 1- Final payment due ($100)
- Tuesday, Feb. 2- Mandatory Packing Meeting (meet the chaperones)
- 5:45 am on Feb. 10- begin boarding charter buses from Parkside parking lot :0)
Math- Multiplying Fractions
We spent an extra week on adding & subtracting fractions, so we will kick off our unit on multiplying and dividing fractions on Tuesday. Students will have to switch gears when learning this concept because it is NOTHING like adding and subtracting fractions. Because of this, we will continue to review.
Please start/continue practicing multiplication facts at home. These should have been mastered long ago. Fractions are the bulk of the 5th Grade Math EOG and knowing their multiplication facts makes this easier.
This week we continued looking at patterns in weather as we charted our daily weather. We began discussing the different types of air masses. Next week, we will continue examining what happens when different air masses move across the United States. Have your child explain to you what happens when barometric pressure decreases and humidity increases.
The Weather Unit has many terms the students need to understand. To practice vocabulary words, I would suggest creating vocabulary flash cards with the word on the front and the definition with examples on the back to promote further understanding.
English Language Arts (Reading)
Please make sure your child is still reading a fiction book for enjoyment and jotting nightly. This book should come back and forth from school to home daily. Remind them to log their reading on Biblionasium daily.
Encore: Compass Learning
-website www.thelearningodyssey.com (username & password in agenda)
-there's an App, Puffin Academy
-individualized per MAP Scores
-60 minutes per week (~3-5 activities)
-homework if not complete
-80% is considered mastery
-grade will be given for completion/effort shown
*Any extra you do at home will greatly help your child, there is a
correlation between this program and the EOGs.