December 2021 - Bernal Intermediate
Dear Bernal Community,
Welcome to December!! The month of December has three weeks of school. During these weeks we will have Girls Basketball Playoffs, Boys Basketball Try-Outs, Spirit Days, and other lunchtime activities for students to participate in.
Please make sure to mark your calendars for the following December dates in which there will be no school. The OGSD will be closed Monday, December 20th through Friday, December 31st. School will resume on Monday, January 3, 2022.
COVID-19 UPDATES - STAY SAFE DURING THE HOLIDAYS!
As the holiday season is upon us, we ask that the safety of our community and students remain a top priority. Below are some fact sheets and guidelines for those that are planning on traveling or gathering with friends and family outside of their household.
FREE COVID-19 TESTING FOR STUDENTS IDENTIFIED AS "CLOSE CONTACTS"
Has your child been identified as a close contact for COVID-19? Did you know that your child can get rapid tested at school during the school day? Oak Grove is partnering with BayPLS to provide testing response teams that will be available to test students and staff in classrooms that were given exposure notices. If your child gets identified as a close contact, parents will have the OPTION to have their child tested at school the next day. This option saves parents time from going to their health provider and results will be provided to parents within 15-30 minutes. Please use this link: https://my.primary.health/l/oakgroveesd to register your child for this option, should your child need it.
ASSEMBLY BILL 27 - HOUSING QUESTIONNAIRE
Assembly Bill 27, requires all school districts to provide a Housing Questionnaire to all families in order to better support families that may be experiencing temporary housing. The district will be sending the Housing Questionnaire through Parent Square the week of Monday, November 29. Please make sure to respond. For more information, please visit: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB27
The Scoop with Smith
We hope you had a relaxing and wonderful Thanksgiving break with loved ones. We have three more weeks until our next break for Christmas/winter. We hope our students hang in there and stay strong with keeping up their attendance and learning. Please take great care of yourself during this flu season. Someone said that "if you don't make time for wellness, then you are making time for illness". Students' health and safety are our priority.
Social media accounts (Instagram and Snapchat) about "shipping" (relationships) and reporting gossip have caused a lot of distraction at school these last few months. Students send negative and toxic messages to the owner/creator of these accounts, then the creator posts these rumors on the accounts. This can increase harassment and bullying. Although students are the ones creating the accounts and also participating in the rumors, we have some students who truly care about the lies that are spread about themselves or their friends/peers and choose to be an upstander to help put an end to these online gossip accounts. Many students have more than one account, so please monitor your child's social media because they may be held accountable for creating a hostile environment at school by risking other people's emotional and physical safety. Students who post written threats or videos may also be disciplined. We cannot do this important work without your involvement and support.
So, what's the scoop? Well, let me tell you...
Tyson Amir's Poetry for the People program just for Bernal. He is the author of Black Boy Poems. This program is open to ALL Bernal students.Students must register using this link - www.fsmei.org/bernal. Video - https://youtu.be/pFmoYKWpcAA For more information, click on www.fsmei.org.
- Girls Basketball Play-off and Boys Basketball Tryouts is the week November 29. Boys basketball starts the week of December 6.
- Virtual Band Winter Concert is December 8 at 6 p.m.
- Spirit Days - December 10 is Pajamas Day and December 17 is Holiday Wear Day.
- No school from December 20-31(Christmas/Winter Break) and school resumes on January 3.
- Please make sure your child is following the dress code. Crop/midriff tops, pajama pants, Crocs, and slides are not appropriate to wear at school.
- All students must wear their student ID badges every day at school. If a student does not have an ID, one will be reprinted and the reprint fee is $5.
- Tardies - Students who are tardy to advisory period at least twice a week will receive detention. Students who are tardy to any one class three or more times will receive community service. Being on time to class and staying for the entire period will increase student learning and build stronger relationships among students and teachers.
We appreciate your support and partnership. Go, Broncos!
Counseling Corner Events
12/10 - Pajamas Day
12/17 - Holiday Wear
12/20-12/31 - NO SCHOOL
1/3 - School resumres
1/14 - Term 3 & Semester 1 Ends
1/17 - No School
1/18 - No School
Ms. Brown's Counseling Corner
30 GREAT THINGS ABOUT MIDDLE SCHOOLERS!
- They are eager to learn.
- They are willing to be directed.
- They are diverse and interesting!
- They're just plain fun to be around.
- They have lots of energy.
- Most of them love school.
- They are like clay -- still impressionable.
- They can be influenced positively.
- They want to fit in, but they also want to do well in school.
- They have great personalities.
- Every day is different.
- They are a study in contrasts.
- They love new ideas.
- They have good manners...generally.
- They respond well to adults.
- They are enthusiastic -- times two!
- They are fun to teach -- and to learn from.
- They're becoming so aware of everything around them.
- They make me laugh all the time.
- They are cool!
- They come up with the most interesting ideas.
- They like to try new things.
- They aren't shy about sharing their thoughts.
- They still have hopes and dreams, and they love to share them.
- Everything is funny to them.
- They're unpredictable.
- They have great conversation skills.
- They're unorganized, but manageable.
- They are helpful.
- The light in their eyes still shines.
Article by Gary Hopkins
Education WorldÂ® Editor-in-Chief
Copyright Â© 1998 Education World
Check out Bernal's Counseling Team Website for:
- Distance Learning Schedule
- Grading Info
- Office Staff
- Classes (Teams, PE, Electives, CORE)
- Counselor's Bio's
- Reflections with Ms. Reed
- Resources (Counseling, Emergency, Homework/Tutoring, Tech Support, etc)
Mr. Reza's Counselor Corner
Hello Bernal Community!
Welcome to December!
Post Thanksgiving break, we are all excited for these last three weeks before our winter break. During this time, we recognize that students may feel a bit more anxious, sad or frustration with the everyday responsibilities of life. Here at Bernal, we want to remind you that we are always at the ready to provide the necessary supports that our students may need. Students may request to come see us by filling out a slip in the front office, asking their teachers to come see a counselor or support staff, email us, come check in with us during break or lunch, and have their families contact us as well.
Our hope is to always make sure we create an environment that welcomes all people and makes them feel supported. We strive to build trust and a school of the highest expectations. We look forward to continue serving the Bernal Community the rest of this year and in to 2022!
You’ll be great today
You’ll be great tomorrow
We are Bernal!
Take care, & Go Broncos!!!
Intermediate Students now have two new APPS for their use.
- ParentSquare & StudentSquare allows you to gets updates and posts from the school as well as communicate with the school, teacher and students. You can download the app or sign in via (SOS).
- Infinite Campus is what you will use to see your grades, attendance, missing assignments and the class schedule. Again you can signin via Single Sign-on (SOS) or download the APP.
- GMAIL allows students to email their teachers and counselors to ask questions. Please encourage your student to email from their GMAIL to their teachers @ogsd.net email.
To access the Infinite Campus/Campus Parent click the link below:
Issues logging in? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Chromebook tech support
How to access Clever and iReady from home
Mental Health, Social-Emotional Learning & Wellness Resources
Oak Grove School District offers free mental health resources for students and families enrolled in our schools. Each school site has a team of mental health professionals who can support your child with regard to mental health and social-emotional well being.
If You Need Immediate Assistance Please Contact
County of Santa Clara Behavioral Health
Provides a 24/7 centralized entry point for individuals seeking behavioral health services in Santa Clara County. Phone: (800) 704-0900
Crisis Text Line
Text RENEW to 741741
Suicide and Crisis Hotline 24/7
Phone: (855) 278-4204
Care Solace Network of Care
Phone: (800) 704-0900
Visit the Oak Grove assistance page at www.caresolace.com/site/oakgrovesd
Provides 24/7 mental health referrals for children ages 0-5 and their families.
Uplift Family Services Mobile Crisis Program
A team provides 24-hour intervention to children and teens in the community who are in acute psychological crisis.
Phone: (408) 379-9085
In partnership with Governor Newsom, Parents Anonymous® Inc. recently launched the California Parent & Youth Helpline and Online Parents Anonymous® Support Groups in response to the Coronavirus to provide free trauma-informed, evidenced-based emotional support to Parents, Children and Youth in any language via calls, text, live chat and email. The California Parents & Youth Helpline operates 7 days a week from 8:00AM-8:00PM. Parents can Join a Weekly Online Support Group NOW through the website: caparentyouthhelpline.org. In this confidential setting, Parents address their underlying emotions and build resiliency to strengthen their family.