March 10, 2014
Quote of the Week
March Madness: 10 million Words!
We fell just over a million words short of our 10 million-word goal for February, but read far more than any month this year. Let’s keep the pressure on! If we read 10 million words in March, students can have a pajama day for the April Reading Assembly. Congrats to San Francisco State (Ms. Arnold’s Class) for climbing from third to first place in the Division 1 Rankings!
Trimester Assessments & UFA Meetings
- If you haven’t done so already, please submit your trimester assessment data to Violeta by Monday, March 10.
- I apologize for failing to include the UFA information below in last week’s WAG. Each week I type out the WAG in a Word Document, then cut and paste it into the web site to make the newsletter. After I wrote the message, I failed to transfer this part. Ms. Herrejon, I owe you a coffee J.
United for Achievement Meetings
- The following dates and times have been set for United for Achievement meetings:
- March 18: 5th grade – 3:00 – 3:45; 4th grade 4:00 – 4:45
- March 19: 3rd grade –4:00 – 4:45; 2nd grade 5:00 – 5:45
- March 20: 1st grade – 3:00 – 3:45; kindergarten 4:00 – 4:45
- Please submit final Trimester 2 data to Ms. Escobar by Friday, March 7.
- Please collaborate with your grade level partner(s) to plan and facilitate the 45 minute meeting. You may customize the meeting as long as you include the following elements: 1) reporting on scores and reflecting on progress from trimester 2; 2) setting a reading goal and practicing an activity for trimester 3; 3) setting a math goal and practicing an activity for trimester 3
- When planning, remember that we want to minimize the amount of teacher talk and increase the amount of time students and parents are talking to each other about the content and their progress toward the goals
- Report Cards will be distributed at the meeting.
- Due to the launching of workshop, report cards and the ILT mini-retreat, I am postponing faculty meeting until next Monday. Wednesday PD has also been cancelled. Please find time to meet with your workshop team this week.
- We will postpone our PD data cycle for March so we can use our PD time to meet with our intervention teams and plan weekly interventions.
- We have 3 months to go. If we work together, we can make huge gains for our students!
Save the Dates
- Friday, March 28: Caring School Community Professional Development
- Tuesday, April 1: Cesar Chavez Service Day. Each class will perform a service project during the school day. Please begin to think of a project that serves our school, Oakland or world community.
- Saturday, April 5: Spring Reading Festival, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 30: Talent Show!
- Tuesday, May 6: Teacher Appreciation Day
- Friday, May 9: Mother’s Day Celebration
- Tuesday, May 13: Esperanza Science Fair (projects due 5/9)
- Monday, May 19: OUSD Science Fair
- Tuesday, May 27: 5th Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Wednesday, May 28: 4th Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Thursday, May 29: 3rd Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Tuesday, June 3: 2nd Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Wednesday, June 4: 1st Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Thursday, June 5: Kindergarten Graduation
- Tuesday, June 10: 5th Grade Graduation
- Thursday, June 12: Last Day of School
Core Value of the Week
- I show respect. I treat others the way I want to be treated.
- Demuestro respeto. Trato a los demás como me gustaría ser tratado.
- Monday Meeting in the auditorium at 8:35 (drop off backpacks in classrooms).
- Submit trimester II assessment results to Ms. Escobar
- Faculty Meeting postponed until Next Monday, 3/17
- ILT Common Core Mini-retreat from 4:00 – 7:00 at La Escuelita E.S.
- Mr. Jacques off site for instructional rounds and principal PD
- Principal’s Pancake Breakfast at 8:00 a.m.
- Cost Meeting: 9:20 – 10:00
- Mr. Jacques off site after noon for Budget Development and Safety Plan meetings
- No PD this week. Work on report cards or meet with your workshop team.
- Farmers Market
- Parent Traffic Meeting in the auditorium at 8:45
- Report Cards due by midnight.
- Dual Language Leadership Meeting from 3:00 – 4:30.
- New traffic system starts Monday.