SCHS EdTech Update
Year-End Tips and Tricks
Lockdown Browser for Chromebooks!
We have been testing a way to lockdown the Chromebooks, and it should be available for you to use from now on, including on final exams. It's an app called Universal Kiosk, which allows the students to enter a URL that opens with no tabs and no ability to take screenshots.
How it works:
- Students must restart their computer. DO NOT LOG IN.
- In the bottom task bar, students will see an "Apps" button. When they click it, they will see a pop-up menu that has Universal Kiosk in it.
- When they click on Universal Kiosk, it will open a window (see below) that allows them to enter a URL. (Ex: erase http://goo.gl/ and type shelby.schoology.com)
- The app will take them to that URL. They can navigate in that URL, but no new tabs are available and screenshots will not work.
- The top of the screen will have a red bar (see below), which is an easy way for you to glance at a screen and know if a student is using the kiosk.
- To leave the Universal Kiosk app, click the Exit button or restart the Chromebook.
- If you plan on using this for final exams, please test it out with your students prior to the exam day.
- Now that our wifi is functioning reliably, you will want to change the Resumable setting on your Schoology quiz to No.
- If you have a Schoology assignment that requires students to view another site before responding, you cannot use the Universal Kiosk app.
Schoology Tip: Big Blue Button
This is a video conferencing tool that allows you to share your screen and video chat with your classes. This is a great way to have a study session in the evening to help prep for an EOC or final exam. Plus if you record the session, Schoology will save it for 7 days so that all of the students in that same class can view it again.
Important details about Big Blue Button:
- Students cannot schedule/start a video conference. This is controlled by the teacher.
- Only students in the same course or group can join the conference.
- Only 50 students can join the same conference simultaneously.
- You can upload documents to show viewers and make live annotations.
- Moderate the discussion by muting participants. Students can click a "raise your hand" button to signal you during the session.
Check out this Schoology Help Guide to learn more. If you want to test it, just let me know and I can come work with you.
Setting Up BigBlueButton in Schoology