The Gifted Child
Social & Emotional Needs
6 Types of Gifted
- Drop Out
- Double Labeled
How can we help our Gifted Students?
- Avoid "Killer Statements" - it can kill enthusiasm for learning.
- Provide safe opportunities for failure.
- Provide opportunities for skip mastered learning & independent study.
- Use humor in the classroom.
- Be flexible & open to new ideas.
- Be enthusiastic.
- Be a learner yourself.
- Be committed to excellence.
What do Gifted Students have to say?
Top 3 Gripes
No one explains what being gifted is all about-it’s kept a big secret.
School is too easy and too boring.
- Parents, teachers and friends expect us to be perfect all the time.
Top 3 Benefits
Our schoolwork in GT classes is more challenging and we learn more.
We get to do interesting things like special activities, experiments and projects.
- Our regular schoolwork is easy for us to understand.