E-Staff Weekly for 5/2/16
This is message is only for Grade 4 & 5 Teachers (Regular & Special Education), reading specialist, IST, or any teacher who provides direct instruction in the tested eligible content should also be factored into this equation.
This Monday, May 2nd, marks the beginning of the PVAAS Roster Verification Process. This will be the first 3 year rolling average for some staff members and will be included in their 82-1 teacher’s final rating form. The timeline for this process is listed below:
- District Preview: May 2-May 13
- Teacher Verification: May 14-May 27
- School Verification: May 28-June 10
- District Final Verification: June 11-June 24
There are 2 parts to the verification process:
- Identifying Full or Partial % of Instruction (Any teacher who provides direct instruction in the tested eligible content should also be factored into this equation. For example…reading specialists and IST teachers)
- Student + Teacher enrollment (The number school days the student was enrolled in the course from the beginning of the year to testing window)***Absences do NOT count for students and teachers; the only exception would be a teacher who is replaced with a long-term substitute.
The PVAAS calculations are based on the following dates:
- PSSA ELA: 4/12/2016 Math: 4/19/2016 Science: 4/25/2016
- Keystone Algebra I: 5/17/2016 Biology: 5/23/2016 Literature: 5/25/2016
- Notify the building principal prior to making a change in the roster (when a teacher makes a changes, it will affect other teachers).
- Once the School Verification window opens, May 28th, the principal review each teacher’s roster for accuracy.
Via email several resources were sent to assist you in this process. In addition, teachers and administrators can access additional resources at https://pvaas.sas.com/ You do not need to sign-in to access the resources.
Things to consider:
- The District assigns permissions to the building principal.
- If a teacher is out on leave, the School Admin (principal) should complete the roster verification process on behalf of the teacher.
- If a teacher works at 2 different buildings, then the teacher should complete/verify the rosters at each school.
- PASA is not included in PVAAS
- A teacher needs to have a minimum of 11 students in order to receive a score. (Principals and teachers should still complete the verification process regardless of the class size)
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Visiting Author Schedule
- May 9th
- May 13th
- May 27th
End of the Year Activities/Consequences Misbehavior
Also, keep in mind we have 1 walkie talkie to lend for activities such as these. Please plan accordingly and return the it to the office immediately when you are back in your classroom.
- Harassment (GCN)
- Act 126 Mandated Reporter (GCN)
- Act 71 Youth Suicide Awareness and Prevention (GCN)
- SEL training (Video and Powerpoint presentation) – for new staff members
- Policy 824 – Maintaining Professional Adult/Student Boundaries (will be reviewed in future faculty/department meetings)
Teaching Resources, Inspiration, and Sometimes a Good Laugh!
M. M. Seylar Elementary School
Education is a very personal thing. We at Seylar believe that every child has the right to achieve their highest potential and for them to be inspired, to dream, to be excited, and to have pride within themselves and for their school community. Our mission is to combine these beliefs with your child’s innate passions and love for learning to bring together a mind’s on approach, where students are engaged, challenged, and supported so they can achieve their personal best.