LHS Weekly Update #27
February 19, 2021
Lathrop Picture Days
In person students will take pictures during their SSP classes. See schedule by SSP below.
Remote and eLearning students can schedule a time on Feb. 22 or 23 to stop by Lathrop and get their school picture taken. Plan to enter through Hering entrance (near spirit rock). We will be using the Hering stage for photos. If you are a remote/eLearning student, schedule a picture time here.
Order your portraits through this link:
Order Code: 50440TA
School Climate Survey
Parents and Students -
Please give us your feedback by completing the school climate survey.
Students - log in to your Powerschool account. There is a link in the upper right area that says “Take the School Climate Survey.”
Parents - access the survey site through this link:
The survey is anonymous and results are used to understand and improve the educational climate of our schools.
Thank you in advance for your participation! The survey takes about 10 minutes to complete and is currently open through Friday, February 28.
Final Exams March 4-5
Thursday, March 4: Period 1 and Period 2 Finals
Friday, March 5: Period 3 and 0 hour/period 4 Finals
Regular bus schedule will be running. After the period 3 final on March 5th, students with their own transportation may leave at 11:15am. Students may also stay for lunch/SSP and then will go to Hering Auditorium until the school day ends at 2:45pm.
Don't Miss out on your Lathrop Yearbook - Order Today!
Construction Tech Positions
Alaska Teacher of the Year Nominations
This past year has truly showcased the ingenuity, compassion, and innovation teachers show every day for their students and communities. We want to honor and celebrate those teachers who go above and beyond, whose commitment to excellence inspires students and teachers alike, and who embody and exhibit the mission of providing an excellent education for every student, every day.
If you know such a teacher, please take a few moments to complete this brief Alaska Teacher of the Year nomination form. (Please note that Alaska Teacher of the Year nominees must have at least five years of classroom experience.)
Research shows that teachers who see the direct, positive impact they have on students’ lives stay in the profession longer — reaching even more students. Thank you for helping the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development recognize those on the front lines who are making a difference in the lives of Alaska's students.
The deadline for submitting nominations is March 15, 2021. Questions about the Alaska Teacher of the Year Program? Please contact us at email@example.com.
If you have symptoms or are a close contact of a Covid-positive person, you cannot come to school. Call the front office and follow protocol on the Daily Decision Tree. See update for travel in the link below.
Senior Section - Class of 2021
- Universities often have application fees. If you qualify for Free or Reduced lunch, please email Ms. Weaver, (firstname.lastname@example.org) about a NACAC waiver which can waive most application fees.
- ACT/SAT Deadlines and Registration - The next ACT deadline is this Friday, March 12th! The next SAT deadline is February 12th! Do you qualify for Free or Reduced lunch? Contact Ms. Weaver, via email, to see if you're eligible for a fee-waiver.
*Additional information can be found on the "What's up, Lathrop?" document
-- Seniors, to receive the Alaska Performance Scholarship, you must take either the ACT by April 17.
-- Seniors, to receive the Alaska Performance Scholarship, you must take either the SAT by May 8.
- Scholarships & Financial Aid Page (LHS Website) - I have updated Lathrop's Financial Aid/Scholarship page today (2/2/21) with updated scholarship applications. Please review this page.
- The Postsecondary Planning Presentation is an excellent, interactive resource for all students to explore options for their Life After Lathrop. This presentation includes information regarding: FAFSA, ACT/SAT Updates, Scholarships, UAF Information, Campus Life, NCAA Eligibility, Trade Union Information, Trade Coordinator Contacts, Military Opportunities, Recruiter Contacts, Resume Writing Tips, Interviewing Techniques, the AKCIS Program, Interest Surveys, Career Planning and many more resources provided. Check it out!
- Letters of Recommendation - Whatever you choose to do with their Life After Lathrop, we strongly encourage you to ask a teacher/staff member for a letter of recommendation before graduating Lathrop. Please give the teacher/staff member at least two weeks to draft the recommendation letter. You must fill out the Letter of Recommendation Form in its entirety and present the completed form to the recommender. This document will force a copy to Google Drive, so once you create the copy, please access the document within your drive, rather than re-writing the information each time. Once completed, share the document with the appropriate staff member(s). This can also be found at: bit.ly/recletterlhs
- The What's Up, Lathrop? document has the most current information from Lathrop's Counseling department. Please take a moment to review this Google Doc. *There is a senior-specific section, too.
- This document can also be found by sing the url: bit.ly/whatsuplathrop