FAC Summer Update #2
July 28, 2022
Good Afternoon, FAC Family
We are back with more information for the start of the school year, as well as some friendly reminders. Our FAC Updates go out once a week are are an important investment of time for our students and parents. Thank you for taking a few minutes to stay informed!
As always, please call our Main Office with any questions - (864) 355-2550.
TO-DO LIST - Complete By August 11
2. Read and Acknowledge the 2022-23 FAC Student/Parent Handbook
The FAC Student/Parent handbook is accessible by clicking on the following link - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QmDwAQ5rn4nMYD7esFWJvvQsl1dnnf1dJW0Omj_q6Hc/edit?usp=sharing. The handbook is also available on the FAC Website under the "Parents/Students" tab.
Complete the following Google Form, acknowledging that you have read the handbook - https://forms.gle/vpUgQksPQ5SE94968. In order to attend the FAC, all students must complete this Google Form by Thursday, August 11, 2022.
3. Come to the FAC Open House - Wednesday, August 10
Time - 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Drop in any time; attendance is optional
- Event ends precisely at 6:00 p.m.
Location - The Fine Arts Center - 102 Pine Knoll Drive, Greenville
- Parking is available in the lot in front of the school and also behind the school (next to the WHHS Football Stadium)
4. Complete the 2022-23 FAC Student Information Form
5. Review Student Directory Information
- Student Directory Information - Annual Notice to Parents and Guardians: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Qudrmrne0W-RkLXAnJKforHH6qOYwqM/view?usp=sharing
- Directory Information Opt-Out Form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P_GosXbbBAHt6E5YqhbsCCZn14Ydicw0/view?usp=sharing
If you do not want us to include your child in our publicity efforts, please complete and return the Directory Information Opt-Out form by Thursday, August 11. Forms can be mailed to or dropped off at the FAC. We will have paper copies of the forms available at the FAC for anyone who cannot print the form at home. For the GCS website on protecting student privacy, please visit https://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/Parents/main.asp?titleid=privacy.
6. Ensure You Have Transportation In Order
- Bus Transportation - Please refer to the July 21 Summer Update for full details. Bus transportation is available to/from the Fine Arts Center from all of the Greenville County Public High Schools for the 9:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. classes. However, please be aware that there is no transportation to the Fine Arts Center for our 8:00 am classes. Buses are available to take students in the 8:00 am class from the FAC to their High School. To arrange for transportation from your child's GCS High School to the FAC (and back), you must reach out to your Home-Base high school and speak to the personnel in charge of transportation.
- Parking Passes - Student Drivers must have a parking pass. WHHS students purchase their pass from WHHS, all other students purchase a pass from the FAC. FAC assigned spaces are provided to students on a first-come, first-served basis. You must complete the Fine Arts Center Parking Application Form and Policy via Google Form - https://forms.gle/ZqWsZc17PcabXRPb9. You will pay the required parking fees after your application has been approved. Ms. Michel will send you a link for payment via email.
- Students Being Transported by Other Students - The following form must be completed by the riding student and signed by the student’s parent, and is available on the Fine Arts Center website - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y986zqwCVXnQ-rcFUJrS5HuGnh8j_Rn3/view.
Sign Up For Text Messages
Reminder - Student IDs for Non-GCS Students
Reminder - NEW Students who Attend a Private, Charter, Virtual or Home School
If you have never attended a GCS school before, you need to register with us. Please come by at your earliest convenience so a member of our staff can make, receive and verify copies of the following documents:
- 2 Proofs of Residency (1 Lease or Mortgage Statement, 1 Utility bill)
- Birth Certificate
- SC Certificate of Immunization with requirements met for 7th-12th grade (or Religious Exemption)
- Court-issued documents (if applicable)
- IEP or 504 paperwork (if applicable)
We are open Monday-Thursday from 8:30-4:00. Please contact the Fine Arts Center at 864.355.2550 if you have any questions.
WAYS TO SUPPORT THE FAC
FAC MERCH FOR SALE
Link to Preorder FAC Studio T-Shirt
Note - orders received by Monday, August 1 will be available for pickup at the FAC Open House.
Orders received after August 1 will be available in early September.
WELCOME NEW FAC FACULTY
Dr. Taylor Massey -- Winds Chamber Music Instructor
Dr. Massey is an accomplished teaching artist (major instrument – clarinet) with an outstanding performance and education resume. He is a product of the Greenville County Schools, graduating from JL Mann High School. He then earned his Bachelor of Music at Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, his Master of Music at Northwestern University Bienen School of Music, and his Doctor of Musical Arts at Stony Brook University.
Taylor maintains an active career as a musician, serving as the principal clarinetist with Augusta Symphony Orchestra, and as guest principal clarinet with the Savannah Philharmonic, Greenville Symphony, Charleston Symphony, and the South Carolina Philharmonic. He has been a featured soloist with the Savannah River Winds, Carolina Youth Symphony, Augusta University Wind Ensemble, and, on multiple occasions, Augusta Symphony Orchestra. He has also traveled the world as a performer, appearing chamber music at festivals in Morges, Switzerland, and Lucca, Italy.
As an educator, Taylor has served on the faculties of the University of Georgia, Augusta University, Georgia Southern University, Claflin University, Western Carolina University, and Brevard College. He has taught students of all ages through his private studio.
Jeromy Ross - Architecture Foundations Instructor
Jeromy Ross is a multimedia artist that uses chance operations as a mechanism to determine the various outcomes of his paintings and sculptures . Wheels, dice, pendulums and other uncontrolled elements are among the implements he uses to produce each piece. Color choice, composition and mark making are decided from these methods of chance as a way of inhibiting a biased aesthetic control. Ross’s fascination with quantum mechanics and chaos theory are the primary focus within his present body of work. His works are currently on exhibit throughout several locations in the Southeast as he continues his experimentations within his studio.
- August 10 - Fine Arts Center Open House: 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- August 11 - Deadline for the completion of the "2022-23 Fine Arts Center Student Information Form"
- August 15 - First Day of the 2022-2023 School Year. All students attend the FAC at their appropriate time.
- September 5 - No School; Labor Day
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.