CHEC Lincoln Library Newsletter
Black History Month Resources
Collaborate with Your School Librarian!
Browse and incorporate the resources below - these are not the only resources available, but they're a good starting place.
Multiple copies of the following titles are available if interested in partnering for a book club or small group independent reading:
Ghost by Jason Reynolds
Black Boy Joy edited by Kwame Mbalia
Miles Morales: Spider-Man by Jason Reynolds
Black Lives Matter at School Week of Action: Jan. 31 - Feb. 4
Black Lives Matter: Comics as a Powerful Lens for Social Justice
Poetry Slam: Hair by Elizabeth Acevedo
An Ode: This One is For Us by Kwame Alexander
Black History Month Activities Bingo
This month's bingo is all about celebrating Black excellence with Black authors and illustrators. For example, if the challenge is "read poetry," read poems by a Black author or find a collection of poetry featuring Black poets. Need help finding resources? Contact your friendly librarian(s)!
First 5 students and 5 staff to reach bingo will receive a gift card to a local Black-owned bookstore.
Need reading and resource recommendations? Check @checdc Instagram throughout the month.
DC Public Library Resources & Events
Research Project Ideas
- History of HBCU
- Historical or Modern Figure
- Black authors, poets, artists, scientists, musicians, etc.
- ... and more!
What should we do with this research?
- Design posts with Adobe Creative Cloud on Clever that could be shared on the school IG or in class
- Create Sway newsletter (Microsoft Office)
- Write a poem
- Create an art piece
- Create a video with Adobe Creative Cloud
How do I research?
- Schedule a research lesson with your librarian to learn abut the research process