恭喜发财! Happiness and Prosperity!
Barrington Chinese Immersion Council - January 2023
Chinese New Year will be here on January 22!
- Spring Semester of Classes begins at Xilin Northwest Chinese School (Sunday, January 15)
- Mandarin Story Time (Saturday, January 21 at 10a and Saturday, January 21 at 11a)
- Xilin Northwest School's Spring Festival Gala (Sunday, January 22)
- Chicago Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade (Sunday, January 29 at 1 PM)
- Kindergarten Roundup:
- (Wednesday, February 1) in person at home elementary school
- (Thursday, February 2) virtual meeting
- Lunar New Year event at Barrington's White House (Saturday, February 4)
- Various Chinese New Year happenings in Chicago and elsewhere!
- BCIC Dine 'n Share at Panera! (Monday, February 27)
Lunar New Year Celebration -- at Barrington's White House!
BCIC is doing something new this year! It's an opportunity to celebrate with family and friends HERE, in downtown Barrington!
Here are some activities we have in store for the entire family:
- A small group of Dong Fang Chinese Performing Arts Association members will provide us entertainment - they are graciously sponsored by Barrington 220 School District
- We will offer a calligraphy demonstration and an opportunity to create a symbol of good luck in the new year
- Experience various interactive activity stations throughout the first floor, including traditional arts and crafts and games and activities
- Participate in a "red envelope" raffle and silent auction with gift baskets and other amazing items donated by CI families and local businesses
Tickets will be $15 for adults, and $10 for students. There will also be an opportunity to purchase food and refreshments.
Please note that there are two options for tickets:
- Entry from 2pm to 3:15pm with 3:30p cultural performance seating
- Entry from 2:30 to 4:00pm with 4:15p cultural performance seating
CI Families will have first option to purchase tickets through next Thursday, January 19. Beginning January 20, we will also offer tickets to all D220 families and the Xilin Northwest Chinese School community (which has invited the BCIC community to its Lunar New Year celebration. Please see details below).
BCIC would like to offer a special thanks to the Barrington Area Community Foundation and Barrington's White House for the opportunity to host this special community cultural event.
Lunar New Year at the Barrington White House
See you there!
CI Story Hour - New Year Style!
Celebrate the Lunar New Year with a Mandarin Story Time hosted by BCIC on Saturday, January 21 at the Barrington Area Library, first floor meeting room (both sides A & B).
This FREE event is designed for CI students K-2 with parent/caregiver. Our awesome CI student and parent volunteers will begin with several festive stories and fun activities, then we'll learn to play Chinese jump rope together. There will be two sessions - one beginning at 10 am, and the other one at 11 am.
Please sign up by Thursday, January 19, 2023. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e044bafaa2da5f58-celebrating#/
Volunteers Requested for Upcoming Events
Jan. 21 CI Story Hour
We are looking for student-volunteers to help lead story time. CI high school student(s) and 8th grade NJHS students are welcome. Service credit is available. More information and signup:
Feb. 4 Lunar New Year
We are looking for volunteers to help us host our Lunar New Year event on February 4. CI parents/caregivers, high school students and 8th grade students are welcome to volunteer. Service credit is available.
Sign up using this link. Thank you!
If you are interested in hosting an activity station or helping us with other preparations, please contact Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Xilin Northwest Spring Festival Gala
Xilin Northwest is also hosting a New Year celebration called the Spring Festival Gala - this event will take place on Sunday, January 22, from 1:00-5:00 at the Forest View Educational Center in Arlington Heights
Tickets are $10 each and can be purchased at http://ticket.xilinchinese.org/. See flyer below for the complete list of activities for the Spring Festival Gala!
Xilin Northwest Releases Spring Semester 2023 Classes
Roger Yang is Principal of Xilin Northwest Chinese School as well as the father of three daughters in District 220 Mandarin programs. He highly recommended the Chinese class for adults, since it's a great class to learn the language simultaneously with your student(s).
The flyer below outlines their course options for the Spring. For course details and registration, visit https://xilinchinese.org.
Chinese Lunar New Year in Chicago!
- (Jan 21) Chinese New Year Dumpling Making Dinner. Celebrate Chinese New Year in family-style featuring story-telling, lion-dancing, dumpling-making and a sumptuous meal.
- (Jan. 28) Argyle Lunar New Year Celebration on Argyle and Winthrop in Uptown, 1 PM.
- (Jan. 29) Chinese New Year at Navy Pier. The Aon Grand Ballroom will be transformed into a festive and family-friendly Chinese marketplace, with dance, music, martial arts, and more. Visit www.do312.com for more info
- (Jan. 29) Chinese New Year Parade in Chinatown 1 PM
More information on these events can be found at: https://www.choosechicago.com/chicago-chinese-new-year/
Virtual Activities and Events
(Wed, Jan. 11) From the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco: Learn about the fascinating traditions and symbolic foods that enrich the celebration of the Lunar New Year throughout various Asian cultures. This one-hour virtual lecture by one of our community speaker docents is followed by a half-hour Q&A. https://calendar.asianart.org/event/virtual-lecture-series-lunar-new-year-2023/
Put on your own Lion Dance! From Kansas City's Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, make your own dancing lion puppet (tutorial and download). https://nelson-atkins.org/nelson-atkins-at-home/virtual-lunar-new-year/lion-dance-activity/
The Smithsonian Museum of Asian Art (SAAM) offers virtual cooking, art appreciation, and music events to celebrate the New Year! https://asia.si.edu/lunar-new-year-celebration/
Also, visit SAAM's Family Zone for crafts, coloring pages, videos and other activities. https://americanart.si.edu/events/family-zone/lunar-new-year
Kindergarten Roundup is next month!
Just a friendly reminder for those of you with incoming Kindergarteners this fall, or if your friends have any incoming Kindy students . . . Kindergarten Roundup is on Wednesday, February 1. And the info session about Chinese Immersion Kindergarten is Thursday, February 2.
Read on for further details!
Kindergarten Information - Barrington Community Unit 220 School District (barrington220.org)
We Appreciate Your Contributions!
BCIC appreciates your financial support to continues our programs and services through the 2022-2023 school year. The suggested family contribution is $25.
Funds are primarily used to:
- purchase books and supplies for the Chinese Immersion program not provided by the district
- host cultural and educational enrichment events throughout the year, such as Mandarin story time, Homecoming parade, Chinese New Year celebrations
- recognize student achievements, such as 5th and 8th grade recognition, high school graduation and Chinese honor society ceremonies
- recognize our wonderful teachers for their many contributions to the program.
If you'd like to contribute and haven't already donated when making your school registration payment, either click this link: BCIC Donation, or use the QR code below to the far left. The Paypal QR code is below, too.
And don't forget another super-simple way to donate: designate Barrington Chinese Immersion Council as your charity of choice with smile.amazon.com!
We appreciate your support!