Welcome to the 2015 - 2016 School Year
Dear Andrews Family
We have almost finished our second week of school, and it is already obvious that this 2015-16 school year will be filled with wonderful and creative learning experiences for all of our Andrews students! Students are mastering their routines and procedures, and valuable instruction is definitely in full swing.
Our first PTA Spirit Night of the year at Mooyah on Thursday evening yielded very high attendance – a portion of all proceeds from these events comes back to Andrews! We immensely appreciate your support, and we look forward to seeing you at our future community events.
Thank you for reading the important information below regarding upcoming dates and events. Also, please note that some of our PTA after-school clubs still have space for additional enrollment. If interested, please register soon before programs begin.
We hope that you and your family enjoy some rest and relaxation during this upcoming long weekend, and we look forward to seeing your students again on Tuesday!
Joy Lovell, Principal
Picture Day is Thursday, September 10.
Time to Recruit Our 2015 - 2016 Key Communicators
ersonal contact is one of the most effective communication methods when building support for our schools and district. We are currently recruiting parents to represent our school as members of the 2015-2016 Plano Independent School District Key Communicators group. If you are interested, please contact Ronnie Cantu, Assistant Principal. You can reach him via email at Ronnie.Cantu@pisd.edu.
What Do Key Communicators Do?
Attend three evening meetings with the superintendent or other key staff to learn about programs, issues, initiatives and accomplishments. This year’s dates are: Thursday, October 8; Wednesday, February 3; and the final date is Thursday, April 14, 2016.
- Share information from the meetings with other parents and school staff.
- Work with the principal to determine appropriate avenues of communications at your campus.
- Communicate district news and initiatives, which will vary from year to year, but could involve election information, Education Foundation programs, legislative issues and district planning.
- Receive occasional mailings from the district.
- Facilitate balanced and factual communications.
One of our goals for this year is to teach digital citizenship to our students. Please complete the brief survey by clicking on the link below (tiny.url). This survey is not mandatory but it would help me better serve and understand your child’s needs.
If you are interested in participating please complete this form no later than September 28th. If you have more than one child here at Andrews, please complete a form for each child. There will be a student survey that mirrors the parent survey given to our 3rd, 4th or 5th grade students the last two weeks of September.
If you have any questions regarding this survey, please feel free to contact Michelle Klena at 469-752-3916. Thank you so much for your assistance.
Parenting Class on Social Media
Friday, Sep. 25th, 7:45-8:45am
Andrews Elementary Library
Social Media: Are you paying Attention
Playing games, chatting with friends, posting today’s events. What a wonderful social tool for today’s children. But what else are your children doing on-line… gossiping, threatening, spreading rumors, posting pictures, exaggerating the truth? Parents need to be alert. Come and join other interested parents to discuss ways for us to keep our kids safe while interacting with their peers.
***Refreshments will be served***
Contact Michelle Klena at
(469)752-3916 or email@example.com.
Visit www.pisd.edu/about.us/departments/familyservices.shtml for a complete list of parent education classes
A Note from our Coaches...
Weight lifting warm-ups with canned food:
Our goal is to collect two cans from each student from September 8th – September 11th. We will deliver all the cans to a food pantry on September 18th. Students will use their cans to do bicep curls and other various exercises. We will explain how families in need will benefit from donating our cans after our week of weight lifting.
2015 - 2016 PARENT WORKSHOPS
Click on the following link to find our listing of September parent workshops. Most workshops last approximately one hour.
If you have any questions, please call 469-752-2272.
REFERRAL DEADLINE FOR NEW MOVE-IN PACE TESTING
Referral deadline for new move-in testing: Sep 11th, 2015 by 3:00 PM. (Referral packets received after this date will be held for spring assessment.)
Current First through fifth grade students (enrolled after December 18, 2014) and did not assess during the spring 2015 PACE assessment cycle are eligible to be referred for the fall 2015 PACE assessment. The testing window for new students at Andrews is: September 14th – September 25th, 2015.
For additional information, please referhttp://www.pisd.edu/students/advanced.academics/gifted.pace/index.shtml or contact the PACE teachers Mrs. Priya Subramanian or Mrs. Amy Moore
Referral deadline for regular testing K through 5th grade students is Dec 9, 2015.
Note from Specials
Choir: Please go to the link below for all the information you need regarding choir opportunities for this year!
Physical Education: Please LABEL all coats and jackets with your child’s name. There are already items in the lost and found with no names. Students must wear rubber soled tennis shoes on their PE days.
MORNING ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL
- School Day: The school day begins at 7:45 a.m. and ends at 2:45 p.m. For your convenience, students may enter the building through the gym at 7:00 a.m. where a staff member is on duty to supervise the students.
- Morning Arrival: Andrews Safety patrol and staff will be in place to greet students by 7:25 a.m. each morning. In an effort to provide greater support for student safety and to keep traffic moving during arrival, always form a single line of traffic along the curb, reduce speed, cross at crosswalks only and refrain from cell phone usage.
- Dismissal & Parking: First through fourth grade carpool students (and 5th grade students with siblings in 1st - 4th grades) will be dismissed and supervised by teachers at the back of the building. Kindergarten carpool students (and those students who have a kinder sibling) will be dismissed from the "middle" kindergarten door at the front of the building; Fifth Grade carpool students (if there are no younger siblings) will be dismissed at the front double doors next to Fifth Grade and picked up in the front carpool line with kindergarten students. For the safety of all students, walkers, bikers and daycare buses will be dismissed at 2:40 a.m. each day. Carpool students will be dismissed at 2:45 a.m.
Plano West Cheer
Plano West Cheer is happy to present their Mini Cheer Clinic Saturday, September 12 in the Plano West main gym. All elementary school girls and boys are welcome! Participants will learn cheers and skills from the Plano West Cheerleaders, and receive a blue cheer bow and group picture! Registration begins at 12:00pm. Clinic is 1:00pm-3:30pm. Cost is $30 payable at registration. Information is attached. Please contact Coach D for additional information Meghann.Dodd@PISD.edu
Please click on the link for further information.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER AND STAY INFORMED
We would love for you to follow Andrews on Twitter under the name @AndrewsEagles. Twitter will be used as an additional mode of communication for reminders as well as to highlight some of the wonderful happenings at Andrews!
Please be aware that the Student Information Release Form includes all forms of social media.
Join and Andrews PTA to support our School!
What does PTA do for Andrews? Last school year, we funded $31,174 worth of equipment (iPads) and activities (field trips, author visits, etc.) and more. Even if you don’t have time to volunteer, your membership in PTA supports all of the wonderful things we do can do for our students and teachers.
Benefits of PTA membership that are new this year: Ability to enroll in after-school programs and submit entries to the PTA Reflections contest.
Sign up for your membership at www.andrewspta.org and click on the SHOP button at the top of the page.
The PTA supports Andrews in so many valuable ways; we immensely appreciate all of their time and dedication!!
Stay connected to your school and your child’s class through Andrews PTA
- Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/AndrewsPTA
- Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/AndrewsPTA
- Visit us at: AndrewsPTA.org and sign-up for E-News on the Home page (bottom right corner)
Thanks you for your interest and support of Andrews Elementary PTA!
Register Now for After-School Programs
The PTA is happy to offer six after-school programs to Andrews students. Classes fill up, so don’t delay in registering. New this year per the Texas PTA, parents must be PTA members to enroll in PTA after-school programs.
The following are programs available for registration.
- Coding – Animations using MIT Scratch provides a graphical drag-and-drop interface to learn programming and logic without worrying about syntax errors. Students learn to do 2D animations of objects, and upon completing Scratch, will be able to design and implement simple computer games on their own. After mastering Scratch, students can proceed to learn Alice, a 3D animation tool to teach programming. Classes offered on Tuesdays. Register at bit.ly/utd-coding-clubs.
- Chess Program –The instructor will determine participant levels. Beginner and Intermediate will meet on Tuesdays. Advanced players will meet on Thursdays. Enrollment is limited and on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here for registration form.
- Mad Science – In the Fall semester, Andrews PTA will be offering Mad Science After School Learning Labs once a week either on Monday or Tuesday.
- CraniaLogix – New this year, CraniaLogix offers two sessions for grades 2nd-5th. Session 1: Think focuses on creative thinking, logical thinking, higher order thinking ... all critical for student success. Offered Thursdays from 2:45-4 p.m., 8-week session. Session 2: Athenian Secret involves student teams that solve arithmetic puzzles and problems while gathering clues to a secret formula. Offered Thursdays, 7-week session, starting Oct. 29. To register, visit http://www.cranialogix.com/resources and fill out the Andrews online form.
- Drama Kids is an award-winning educational speech and drama program that meets Wednesdays for one hour after school at Andrews Elementary. The program is a total of 28 weeks and runs Sept. 23-May 25 and ends with a Spring performance. Registration is through Drama Kids website.
Support Andrews Elementary by collecting Box Tops
We hope that everyone will take advantage of earning free and easy money for Andrews by using your grocery store loyalty card and collecting labels from participating products. Last year, we earned over $2,100 from Box Tops and grocery store partnerships which helped fund Family Arts Night, Multicultural Night, field trips, Spring Fling, visiting authors, new recess equipment, and Red Ribbon Drug Prevention Week.