From Last month...
Elm Street School's Production of Frozen was a big hit!
Our WSS students (and some of our staff), really enjoyed participating in some St. Patrick's Day activities.
More traps and a "cloud in a jar" creation in STEM class...
Our schools celebrated diversity through a puzzle lesson as part of multicultural week
GES PTO Updates and Events
Other Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) happenings...
- Next PTO meeting is April 7th at 6p.m. in the Waterford Cafeteria - help is needed for the following events so please consider coming to the meeting to hear how to help.
- Art Gallery Exhibit - May 4th (See flier above...I'm attaching it to this newsletter too)
- Waterford Family Dance - May 26th (see the flier below)
- Movie Night at Elm - June 3rd (rain date June 10th)
*More information on the above events will be conveyed over the next few months...stay tuned!
MCAS is Next week!
Here are all the upcoming dates (only grades 3 & 4 take the exam):
- Mon. April 4th & Tues. April 5th - Gr. 4 ELA MCAS
- Wed. April 6th & Tues. April 7th - Gr. 3 ELA MCAS
- Fri. April 8th - ELA Make up
- April 11th - 15th; April 25th - 29th - Gr. 3/4 ELA MCAS Make-up exams;
- May 2nd - 5th - Math MCAS
- Please have your child charge their chomebook the night before;
- CELL PHONES AND SMART WATCHES are not allowed to be on students during the exam. Teachers will be collecting phones at the start of the exam (might be best to have them kept at home);
- Please have your child to school on-time as testing begins right after breakfast in the morning;
- Also, Smarties candy and mint Life-savers (for encourageMINT:) will be given to students as a little boost during the exam. Please let your child's teacher know if you would like your child to opt-out of receiving these treats;
Dismissal Procedure Update:
The end of the day is a very busy time in our front offices - squaring away final dismissal lists, answering phone calls, and greeting visitors keeps our secretaries occupied. It's also a very busy time for teachers - finishing lessons, cross-checking dismissal lists, getting students to their correct dismissal location, and packing them up to leave. While we strive to be accommodating, parent/guardian requests for end-of-the-day dismissals and changes to the pick up procedure (e.g. switching from bus to parent pick up or vice versa) adds disruption and difficulty to this challenging time. This can also present safety concerns in that it's challenging to convey last minute changes to all the needed staff to ensure an accounting of where every student is and how they're being dismissed. We are, therefore, instituting the following change beginning April 5th:
- All changes for how a child is picked up must be conveyed to the front office prior to 2:00 p.m. on the day the change needs to occur. This will be the policy at both schools.
- Special dismissal arrangements outside our normal parent pick up routine will not be allowed after 2:45 p.m. at Elm and after 3:00 at Waterford.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and if you have any questions or concerns regarding this policy, please reach out to me and I'd be happy to discuss them with you.
- Principal Martin
Our New Elementary School is coming along!
Also upcoming in April...
- Early release day on Friday, April 1st (THIS FRIDAY) for staff professional development; Elm Street students will be dismissed at 11:30, Waterford Street students will be dismissed at 11:45; There will be NO PRESCHOOL. Bus times will just be 4 hours earlier than normal. Please let your child's teacher and the front office know if there will be a change to how your child's getting home by 10:00 a.m. on Friday.
- April 9th - Worcester Railers Ice Hockey game - Free for all Gardner Public School students (see attached flier)
- April Vacation - NO SCHOOL - April 18 - 22nd