CIMARRON MIDDLE SCHOOL APRIL/MAY 2019
Dear Cimarron Families,
We are moving steadily toward the end of April (showers) and days away from welcoming May (flowers). What a wonderful school year! We are completing our state testing while also wrapping up our spring performing arts and athletics.
This time of year we see our 6th graders develop into 7th graders; the 7th graders realize they will be Lead Panthers on campus next year, and the 8th graders' show their growing excitement about becoming Bulldogs! We will enjoy a few more moments of excitement with both our young scholars and educators, with another year in pursuit of academic excellence and friendships nearly complete.
Speaking of moments to enjoy, we have a lot of end-of-year activities coming up! From concerts to 8th-grade graduation it is sure to be a fun-filled last few weeks of school. This newsletter is packed full of useful dates with several Cimarron activities.
And this being the final newsletter of the school year, I want to say on behalf of all of us at Cimarron, “Thank You.” Thank you for sending your son or daughter to Cimarron. We are better for knowing them and spending time with them every day! And we hope they are better for knowing us.
I am honored to serve the young scholars, families, and educators of Cimarron Middle School. I am having a blast this school year and I am extremely proud of our young men and young women. I along with the team of educators will continue leading Cimarron Middle School with a focus on learning and growth and with Panther PRIDE.
SEVERE WEATHER INFORMATION
Spring has finally made its debut and with its arrival comes the potential for severe weather. The district's severe weather and Cimarron's sheltering capabilities are as follows:
- Edmond Public School young scholars and educators take shelter when a tornado warning is issued or the city tornado sirens are activated in the vicinity during school hours. We remain sheltered until the “all-clear” is given by the district office.
- At Cimarron, students and non-essential staff shelter in our lower level rooms. Our new safe room, capable of housing our entire school, will be ready this fall. You may also follow along with the progress of our construction on the district website: https://edmondschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/71.-EPS-CONSTRUCTION-UPDATE-Feb.-1.-2019.pdf
Threatening weather that approaches at the end of the school day can present additional challenges. If a tornado warning is in place at dismissal time, we will not release students to go home until the “all-clear” is given by the district’s safety director. Buses will be held and will not be in transit when there is immediate pending severe weather. If a tornado watch is in place at dismissal time, students will be released and sent home and buses will run.
Because the district has so many safe rooms (22 total with 14 built since the 2013 Moore tornado), we do not cancel school when severe weather is threatened. If you choose to keep your child(ren) home or check them out early due to weather conditions, please be advised that attendance requirements remain in place. You may contact the school to report your child(ren)’s excused absence. At the high schools, such absences are recorded and included in the count for test exemptions.
Additionally, please be advised that Edmond school buildings are not public storm shelters. The Central Oklahoma Emergency Management Association recommends that a personal storm shelter is the best option to protect you and your family during threatening weather.
Considerable time and effort go into conducting weather drills during the school year to prepare students and staff should weather become threatening. We want to assure you the safety of your children is of the utmost importance.
Should you have any questions, please contact the Cimarron office at 340-2935.
8TH GRADE IMPORTANT DATES
Field Trip to Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum
Monday, April 22 (Team Yellowstone 802)
Thursday, April 25 (Team Badlands 801)
8th Grade Graduation Rehearsal
Wednesday, May 22 12:30 - 2:15 pm
8th Grade Graduation
Thursday, May 23 @ 10:30 am
First Baptist Church
Students will be released to leave after the ceremony.
(Will be updated as other events are added)
8th Grade Spring Break Trip to Washington D.C.
Spring sports are wrapping up and while the weather has rescheduled some events, our Panthers have been busy athletes! It's been a great season with outstanding effort and sportsmanship in golf, tennis, track, and baseball. Way to go Panthers!
Current 6th and 7th grade Panthers, watch and listen for details in May for our 2019 fall sports meeting. Lots of exciting details and dates for 7th and 8th-grade football, cross country, softball, volleyball, and basketball.
Sports Physicals Clinic
Wednesday, May 8, 2019
6:00 pm in the EMHS Gym
All athletes must have an updated physical for the 2019-2020 school year.
Bulldog Basketball Camp
June 3 - 6
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Open to all grades
Bulldog Basketball Skills Camp
June 17 - 21
8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Contact Shane Cowherd at EMHS for more details
For all Panthers heading to EMHS Bulldogs:
All to-be freshmen that want to play football:
Freshmen football orientation
May 20 and 21 at EMHS in the Doghouse. Plan to attend both nights from 6:30-8:00 p.m. Equipment checkout at this orientation.
All football players:
Sign up for Summer Pride and our summer football camps by going to:
www.Eventbrite.com (search "Edmond Bulldog Summer Camps 2019")
If you have questions please email Coach Orvis (Head Coach) or Coach Shaw (Head Freshmen Coach)
Bulldog Ladies Basketball
Workouts May 14, 15, & 16
3:30 pm - 5:30 pm
For questions, email Coach Curt Knox at email@example.com
May 29 - 31
Contact Coach Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
We will update information as received from EMHS or check out the EMHS Athletics website at https://memorial.edmondschools.net/teams-coaches/athletics/
IMPORTANT ATTENDANCE REMINDERS
Absences should be reported on the day a student is out, including how many days absence is anticipated, by contacting the Cimarron office at 405-340-2935. Students may then submit documentation upon return, or ask the provider to fax notes directly to the Cimarron office at 405-330-3398.
Original documentation is required for all medical, judicial, bereavement and religious absences. Per district policy, please make parent notifications to excuse absences within 5 days of the event. Attendance policy information may be found in the Student Handbook @ the following link:
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
April 19 April Day - NO SCHOOL!!
April 24 CPTO Pizza Day
April 24 Administrative Professionals Day
April 25 Shot Clinic @ Cimarron
April 25 - 30 Used Book Sale
April 30 - 2020 Spring Break D.C. Meeting @ 6:30 pm
May 2 - Incoming 6th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6:30 pm
May 3 Fun Food Friday
May 6 - 10 National Teacher Appreciation Week
May 6 Band Spring Concert @ EMHS 7:00 pm
May 8 National School Nurse Day
May 8 Sports Physical Clinic @ EMHS 6:00 pm
May 10 Fun Food Friday
May 13 - 14 Dippin' Dots!
May 13 Vocal Spring Pops Concert @ EMHS 7:00 pm
May 17 Orchestra Spring Concert @ EMHS 7:30 pm
May 23 Last Day of School!
Check out the Cimarron calendar at https://cimarron.edmondschools.net/calendar/ for other important dates!
GOOD TO KNOW
- In the event of a school emergency/situation, Mr. Schmidt will communicate quickly to parents through the SchoolWay app. If you have a smartphone, please download this app: www.myschoolway.com, select Cimarron and set up your device for push notifications.
- If you are having problems with your Parent Portal account, e-mail: email@example.com
- Panther Pals are parent volunteers helping on a weekly basis in the workroom. Contact the CPTO to sign up!
- Pizza Day is a monthly event during lunch hosted by the CPTO. The money raised benefits Cimarron! The circle of…pizza! $1 per slice / $10 per box, $1 - Drinks
- Fun Food Friday is a twice a month sweet treat fundraiser for students. Everything is $1 and sold during the day by our awesome Panther Parents. Cash/check only!
- Panther Grill is a monthly luncheon for students who are nominated by their teachers for displaying a recognizable positive character trait.
- The Golden Paw/AOK Award Assembly is a monthly grade level assembly to recognize and commend students for exceptional qualities.
- Please continue to collect Box Tops. They all add up to benefit Cimarron Panthers!
- This Panther Prowl newsletter is produced monthly by Cimarron Middle School. If you have submissions, photos or suggestions, please contact Mr. Schmidt’s secretary, Robbi Kinnaird at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you.
CIMARRON MIDDLE SCHOOL
Principal Gabe Schmidt
Assistant Principal Carrie Higdon
Assistant Principal Link Lowe
School Hours - 7:50 AM - 2:40 PM
Office Hours - 7:15 AM - 3:15 PM.