an early literacy newsletter from Coos Bay Public Library
Mother Goose on the Loose: Superstar Gallary!
Thank you to all of you who submitted photos of your superstar babies! Since we can't see our friends in person, this is the next best thing!
Looking Ahead: Summer Reading Program
Build Skills Every Day
Little interactions every day can add up to a BIG foundation for learning.
- Talk: Put apps like Facetime and Zoom to good use. Invite your toddler's friends to a virtual playdate. Have a tea party, play playdough, or build legos together!
- Sing: There's no better time to dive into the world of the orchestra with your little one. Check out the Seattle Symphony's new series, 'Tiny Clips for Tiny Tots'.
- Read: If you miss connecting at Mother Goose on the Loose and Preschool Storytime, join us Wednesdays at 10:00am for virtual Storytime on Zoom! You can find more read alouds, Flannel Fridays, and STEAM Storytime on the library's Youtube channel.
- Write: Write a short sentence at the top of a sheet of paper, read it to your little one, and then draw the illustration together. This will help your child relate text to meaning.
- Play: Create a mountain to climb at home! Gather pillows, laundry baskets, even sturdy furniture like an ottoman or couch. Pile them high, remove breakables from the room, and join your children on an expedition.
Dolly Parton Imagination Library
Go Ahead... Sing!
One Bright Scarf
One bright scarf waiting for the wind to blow
(hold in hand)
Wiggle it high
(Wave scarf above head)
Wiggle it low
(Wave scarf by knees)
Shake it fast!
(Wave scarf quickly)
Shake it slow!
(Wave scarf slowly)
Where did it go?
(Put scarf behind back)
Click here to see a video of this song.