Friday Feedback - May 4
"The Energy Bus" Revisited
"The Energy Bus"
Here are the highlights from a book I read called "The Energy Bus" that I think really apply to all of us as educators and leaders and these reminders are especially important to remember when conflict and defiance disrupts the learning environment and all of our motivation levels decrease as summer approaches -
1. You're the driver of your "bus" (life). It's far too easy to let factors outside of our control be barriers. Take control of the factors you can influence and don't dwell on those that aren't.
2. Desire, vision, and focus move your bus in the right direction.
3. Fuel your ride with positive energy. Positivity is contagious. Spread it.
4. Invite people on your bus and share your vision for the road ahead. Don't let the "Negative Nelly" or the "Energy Vampire" bring you down. Be a Believer!
5. Don't waste your energy on those who don't get on your bus. They will naturally find their way on if it's worth getting on.
6. Make it clear that on your bus there are "No Energy Vampires Allowed" and make your decisions based on your best passengers.
7. Enthusiasm and positivity attract more passengers and this energizes them during their ride. Be the engine of hope when all else seems hopeless.
8. Love your passengers. Relationships are everything. CKH
9. Drive with purpose. Communicate your purpose early and often...and again.
10. Have fun and enjoy the ride...it's a short one.
I'm a firm believer in all of these ideas because at the end of the day, the things we are stressing or worrying about today, we probably won't even remember a month or year from now. Live life to the fullest, enjoy every day and the passengers around you.
Enjoy the ride and remember to smile (and remind me to smile too ;)
"Great teachers work hard to keep their relationships in good repair to avoid personal hurt and to repair any possible damage. Effective teachers take advantage of teachable moments" - Todd Whitaker, What Great Teachers Do Differently, Chapter 11 p. 71
What's Coming Up?
Friday May 11 - Relay Day
Monday May 14 - 8th Grade Class Trip to I-Cubs Game; 5th Grade Abe Lincoln Show in gym at 2:00 p.m.
Wednesday May 16 - 5th Grade Class Trip to Living History Farms
Friday May 18 - Awards Ceremony at 1:00 p.m. for Awards Recipients
Monday May 21 - 6th Grade Class Trip to Des Moines Zoo
Thursday May 24 - "Red Nose Day"; Last Day of School for Students
Monday May 28 - Memorial Day