Takoma Park MS Community Newsletter
Week of October 17th
Dear TPMS Families,
Next week, we will be celebrating International and Cultural Heritage Week. Each day, we will have different activities taking place during lunches or throughout the day. The culminating event will take place on Friday, October 21st from 6-8:30pm. Please see below for each day's events!
Have a wonderful weekend!
MCM Youth Media Academy
We are looking for middle school students who love reading and want to earn SSL hours. The B.R.I.D.G.E.S. Book club has been in operation for the past 5 years. The goal of the book club is to encourage reading and a love for books. This year for the first time, we are introducing Student Group Leaders. As a Student Group Leader, students will help facilitate discussions about books with younger students. All interested middle school students must also register and must be available for training to lead book discussions. All Student Group Leaders will be eligible for SSL hours. Registration is required. THE BRIDGES BOOK CLUB This opportunity is led by the staff at Takoma Park Elementary School and financially sponsored by the TPES PTA.
Next Week: International and Cultural Heritage Potluck – Friday, October 21
TPMS' International and Cultural Heritage Celebration this year will culminate on Friday, October 21st with a community event featuring a potluck, performances, cultural tables and more.
We need your help to make this year's event a success. How?
· RSVP to attend! Let us know that you and your family will be joining us @ https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSceUC-i61KT645O04GNV0_-j9thLaMRIIkgZaE_FyySJMI_UQ/viewform?usp=sf_link. All students attending must have a responsible adult supervising them at the event.
· Volunteer: There are many ways to help, please sign up @https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E044AA4A72FA4F58-tpms1
· Student Performers needed! We need student performers for the evening (although performers do not have to be TPMS students). All are welcome to help us celebrate various cultures by performing on stage. Performances should be approximately 5 minutes in length. Sign up at: https://bit.ly/tpmsinternationalnight
Citrus Sale TPMS PTSA Fundraiser Wraps Soon!!
Difference Makers and the PTSA are working to raise money for TPMS students through the Fresh Fruit Sale Fundraiser through Monday, October 24. With 175 boxes sold, we are nearly halfway to our goal of selling 400 crates so please continue to sell and share with your networks to help meet fundraising goals for the year! Your purchase will also help your student’s chance to win individual prizes or a grade level celebration.
You can order a box of freshly-picked Florida oranges or grapefruits (or a gift package that includes things like toffee, marmalade, or other fruits and treats) that will arrive at TPMS just before Thanksgiving or ship to yourself or a friend as a gift for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Order forms were sent home with students - extras are in the TPMS cafeteria oryou can also order online and share the sale with your networks at: https://bit.ly/tpmsfruitsale2022. For more information: contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can order for yourself or a gift that will arrive just before the Thanksgiving holidays. Fruit will be distributed in mid-November. Those who order online have the option to have fruit delivered directly to their home or to have it shipped to the school. Contact: email@example.com
Mark Your Calendars and Sign up to Volunteer/Participate!
· November 8: Election Day Bake Sale: (6:45AM to 8:15PM): All day bake sale to raise funds for TPMS PTA outside the voting booth. How can you help?
· November 15: Third TPMS PTSA Meeting (7-8:30PM, Zoom). You can submit any agenda suggestions for future meetings to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
· November 21: PTSA Support During Parent Teacher Conferences – Contact: email@example.com
TPMS Parent Teacher Association Links: