Hairdresser & Cosmetologists
What do I do in this career?
Provide beauty services such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling hair. We also massage and treat scalps,m and apply makeup and nail or skin care services.
- The freedom to determine tasks, priorities, and goals
- Freedom to make decisions without supervision
- Having face-to-face discussions
- Dealing with external customers
The physical demands in this occupation...
- Standing- When cutting and styling costumers hair
- Walking- To get to costumers and/or materials
- Running- In busy situations
Required skills to know...
- Thinking critically
- Helping others
- Understanding how people learn
How to prepare for this occupation
- College certificate for entry
- No related work experience for entry
- Little or no on-the-job training to became competent
- Requires a license
Are licenses and/or certificates required?
Yes, a high school or GED are required to enter a beauty school program, a license is also required by the state to apply for this career.
Wages and outlook in this occupation...
Typical wage is around $11.33/hr, and there are currently 10,350 workers employed in this career. This occupation is in high demand.