Amboy Middle School
Mid March Newsletter
COMMITTED TO CREATING AN ENGAGING ENVIRONMENT TO INSPIRE LIFELONG LEARNING FOR ALL
SAFE, RESPONSIBLE, RESPECTFUL
WE LOVE YOU ALL - YOU ROCK!
FREE LUNCH AND BREAKFAST AT AMBOY MIDDLE SCHOOL!
Children ages 0-18 can pick up a free and nutritious sack lunch and breakfast.
Distribution time: 11 a.m. to noon
When: Weekdays March 16-27 and April 6-24 (meals will NOT be served spring break, March 29-April 3)
Where: In front of all of our primary schools, Amboy Middle, and BGHS and PHS
Families are strongly encouraged to pick up meals at one of the 10 BGPS locations that are set up to distribute sack lunches/breakfasts. However, families that are absolutely unable to get to schools to pick up meals in person can request meal delivery to your child's bus stop. For those who need it, please complete the online request form to get started. If you are unable to complete the form online you may call the Meal Delivery Request Line at 360-885-6614. Please note that completing the online request form is the most efficient method of requesting meal delivery.
TALKING WITH CHILDREN DURING INFECTIOUS DISEASE OUTBREAKS
For strategies on helping children manage their stress during this time, please refer to this fact sheet from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. "Talking With Children: Tips for Caregivers, Parents, and Teachers During Infectious Disease Outbreaks" describes potential reactions among youth and the support adults can provide to help them.
HOME LEARNING RESOURCES
Battle Ground Public Schools has created a web page with links to many online learning sites. You can search the new Home Learning Resources page by keyword or browse by subject and grade level. Additional learning sites will be added, so check back often.
OUR STAFF MEETING
YEARBOOK ORDERING INFO
Dear Amboy Middle School Families,
First and foremost, we hope all of you are healthy and well. We are all facing times of uncertainty and looking for answers as we navigate through the effects of COVID-19, locally and globally. That being said, we also have to continue moving forward in a safe and healthy way. One of the projects we are currently working on is the creation of the 2019-20 Amboy Middle School yearbook. We have received some calls from parents asking if there will still be a yearbook. The answer is YES! We want to help preserve the memory of this year, both the good and the unfortunate. Some of you have already turned in your order form to the school office, and we have record of your order on file. Others have not, and we have come up with an online ordering option for anyone wanting to place a yearbook order. Below is the information regarding yearbook orders and the online link for you to use to place your order.
- If you have already turned in your paper form, you do NOT need to place a second order online.
- Online ordering will give you the option to order either a standard yearbook ($30) or a yearbook with a personalized cover (an additional $7). Please be sure to double check the spelling of your student's name when you type it into the online ordering system, particulary if you are ordering a personalized cover. Names on personalized covers will be in all caps (ie JAMES SMITH). Be sure to include your phone number and email address in your online order submission in the spaces provided when completing your order online. Should we have further delays of restarting school, we may need to contact you directly for pick up arrangements, etc.
- If you are ordering for multiple students, we kindly ask that you complete separate online transactions to assist with distribution (this is essential when you are ordering personalized covers).
- Online ordering will be available until midnight on March 31st. Should you need assistance in ordering or need to make alternate payments, please email us directly at email@example.com. Due to the current health restrictions our office will be closed until further notice, however Charlene will be checking her email and offering assistance via email.
- We cannot guarantee that additional yearbooks will be available for purchase after the yearbook ordering deadline of March 31. To guarantee your student receives a yearbook, we kindly ask you to complete your online transaction on or before March 31.
- Lastly, if you have pictures of your students involved in any school activities (ASB, band, other activities, or just day-to-day student life) we would love to include them in the yearbook. Please email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before March 31. We may not be able to include all images submitted but ask you to add a brief explanation of the images you send us for submittal.
PLEASE USE THE LINK BELOW TO PLACE YOUR ORDER ONLINE FOR THE 2019-20 AMBOY MIDDLE SCHOOL YEARBOOK:
UNDER THE "PRIVATE GALLERY CODE" PLEASE ENTER: amboyyb2020
REMINDER: ORDERING DEADLINE IS MARCH 31, 2020
We are grateful for support of our small business. Please stay safe and healthy.
FREE AND DISCOUNTED INTERNET
TDS Telecommunications LLC is offering free broadband internet access to low-income individuals and/or families with K-12 children and college students for 60 days (in response to the COVID-19 pandemic). This offer is for new customers in communities where TDS provides service. To verify eligibility for this offer, residents will be asked to provide documentation from qualifying programs. For more information, please call 1-888-287-8156. New customers must mention the 60-day free offer when calling. To check to see if TDS service is available in your area, you can enter your address here to see what services are available.
Comcast is taking immediate steps to help connect low-income families to the internet at home as the country continues to manage the COVID-19 emergency. New Internet Essentials customers can receive two free months of internet service, which is available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month plus tax. Apply by April 30, 2020. Additionally, for all new and existing Internet Essentials customers, the speed of the program's internet service has increased to 25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream. That increase will go into effect automatically for no additional fee, and it will become the new base speed for the program going forward. More info about Comcast's Internet Essentials service offer is available here.
CALL FOR STUDENTS VOICE AND VISUALS
The Association for Middle Level Education is updating our foundational position paper (previously titled This We Believe) that identifies the characteristics of successful middle schools. This critical document serves as the centerpiece of exceptional middle schools around the world that are focused on shaping the best possible educational experiences for their students ages 10 to 15. We're interested in bringing student voice and visuals to the new edition of the book, and we need your help. We're seeking student submissions as follows:
1. A testimonial Students can write a statement of 1000 characters or less in response to one of two prompts:
- How has a teacher, principal, or other adult in your school had a positive influence on or encouraged you?
- What's your favorite thing about middle school?
2. Two-dimensional art
- This can be any type of work including, but not limited to, watercolor, pencil, oil painting, photography, and digital images. The art should express the energy and culture of your middle school and should be submitted as a high-resolution photo or .jpg image. The art should be accompanied by a statement from the student about the inspiration for the art (1-4 sentences).
3. A reflective poem
- We're seeking a poem either about the student, about an adult they appreciate at the school, or about their experiences in middle school.
Each student whose quote, art, and/or poetry is featured in the new book will receive a $25 Amazon gift card, and their work will be displayed on AMLE.org and at the #AMLE20 Annual Conference, November 12-14, in National Harbor, MD.
Teachers need to be prepared to submit the art as a high resolution photo in .jpg or .eps format. Poems can be submited as .doc or .pdf files.
Submissions are due by May 15, 2020.