Talbot County Public Schools
Superintendent's Update | November 19, 2021 | #13
November 19: Education Foundation's Mission Possible Virtual Event
November 24-26: Thanksgiving Holiday
December 15: Board of Education Meeting
December 22: Early Dismissal
December 23-31: Winter Break
November 17th Board of Education Meeting Highlights
Board Members wear "I Love Public Education" shirts in honor of American Education Week.
TEEN COURT PRESENTATION
Photo: from left: Grant Kirby, Captain Steve Elliott and Sophie Anderson
TILGHMAN ELEMENTARY PRESENTATION
2022-23 PROPOSED SCHOOL CALENDAR
TCPS presented a draft calendar for the 2022-23 school year at the November Board of Education meeting. TCPS Administration is taking feedback on the proposed calendar until December 8, 2021. Use the following link to view the proposed calendar and leave feedback: https://tcpsforms.org/view.php?id=50453
The 2022-2023 calendar models the approved 2021-2022 calendar with the following key points:
- The first day of school for all students is August 29, 2022. All teachers report on August 18.
- November 8 – Election Day. All schools will be open except Easton High and St. Michaels Middle High. Those buildings will be closed for students, and there will be virtual learning for EHS and SMMHS students ONLY.
- Four inclement weather days are built into the calendar.
- If all of the inclement weather days are used, the last day of school for students will be June 13 and the last day for staff will be June 14. If none of the inclement weather days are used, the last day for students will be June 8 and staff will finish on June 9.
- January 20 (Transition Day) and February 20 (President’s Day) are potential make-up days for inclement weather. In order to use President’s Day in this way, TCPS would need to obtain a waiver from the Maryland State Department of Education.
- Based on prior feedback, the draft calendar reflects continuing the full week Spring Break from April 3 – April 10.
- St. Michaels Middle High School Graduation will take place on May 31, 2023. Easton High Graduation will be on June 1, 2023.
“Comments from our community in the coming weeks will be taken into consideration, and the final calendar will be presented to the Board of Education for their approval at their December 15 meeting,” said Dr. Helga Einhorn, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction.
2021-22 CALENDAR CHANGES
The Talbot County Board of Education approved an amended calendar for the 2021-2022 school year during their November meeting. The following changes were made and apply to all staff:
• December 22 will be an early dismissal day for both students and staff.
• January 21 (Transition Day) will now be an early dismissal day for staff, with no school for students.
• February 18 will be an early dismissal day for students and staff.
• March 18 will be an early dismissal day for students and staff.
• May 27 will be an early dismissal day for students and staff.
“We realize that conditions resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic have placed additional strain on educators this year,” said Dr. Helga Einhorn, Assistant Superintendent for curriculum and instruction. “We are hopeful that this additional time will give staff an opportunity to regroup, catch-up, spend time with family or pursue their own personal wellness.”
COVID Vaccine Clinics for Ages 5-11
The Talbot County Health Department is offering COVID Vaccine Clinics for children ages 5-11.
Tuesday 11/23: https://www.marylandvax.org/appointment/en/reg/8311296044
Wednesday 11/24: https://www.marylandvax.org/appointment/en/reg/1822939601
GIANT TEACHER OF THE MONTH
Congratulations Faith Mitchell of Tilghman Elementary!
Congratulations Stacey West of Easton Elementary!
Bullying and cyberbullying, harassment and intimidation, hazing, and/or bias behaviors are unsafe behaviors that do not reflect respect for others as defined by Policy 10.16 on STUDENT CONDUCT – BULLYING, HARASSMENT OR INTIMIDATION . If a student is a target of one of these behaviors, you can report it using the Bullying, Harassment, or Intimidation Reporting Form (linked below).
The form is also available at all schools, in the main office and the school’s counseling office. Students can also report issues directly to a staff member. When a situation that involves any of these behaviors is reported, staff members will respond quickly and will provide a practical, private, and safe place to report.
TCPS JOB OPENINGS!
Do you need help with Internet Access for your student(s)?
Families who live in the Easton Utilities service area AND qualify for Free and Reduced Meals may apply for a special FREE program sponsored by Easton Utilities, TCPS and the TCPS Education Foundation. Apply by filling out this: form:
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that provides a temporary discount on monthly broadband bills for qualifying low-income households. If your household is eligible, you can receive:
- Up to a $50/month discount on your broadband service and associated equipment rentals
- Up to a $75/month discount if your household is on qualifying Tribal lands
- A one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer (with a co-payment of more than $10 but less than $50)
For more information about the Emergency Broadband Benefit and to find out if you qualify check the website: https://getemergencybroadband.org/do-i-qualify/.
TALBOT COUNTY COVID-19 VACCINE CLINICS
COVID-19 Vaccine Clinics are every Wednesday from 10 AM to 6 PM
102 S Marlboro Ave
Easton, MD 21601
Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson and Johnson available! 1st, 2nd, 3rd and booster doses given every day!
WALK INS ARE WELCOME
Please call 410-819-5641 for assistance
COVID-19 Testing: Monday -Friday from 9 AM to 2:30 PM
Talbot Business Center
900 Glebe Rd
Easton, MD 21601
Call: 410-819-5632 to Schedule
Bring your card if you have Health Insurance
Drive-up and stay in your car.
Click the link below to view the proposed TCPS 2022-23 Calendar and leave feedback. The survey results will be presented to the Board of Education at the December 15th Meeting.