Ms. Grant's Comm Arts/ELA Class
Team 7-1 Room 108
Welcome to 7th Grade Communication Arts!
We will spend an hour together everyday in which we intertwine reading, writing, speaking, and listening instruction and activities.
The Seventh Grade English/Language Arts course is centered on the Common Core State Standards with extensive study of literature and written composition preparing students for high school, college, and future careers. Literature spanning the years, from ancient to modern times, gives historical perspective of writing styles and authors’ changing perceptions of our world. The art of composition emphasizes the modes of argumentative, expository, and narrative writing. Student writers are encouraged to write objectively and subjectively as needed to demonstrate their mastery of the course material. As they begin to tailor and incorporate literary strategies into their personal repertoire, seventh grade English/Language arts continues shaping students into independent, life-long readers, writers, and thinkers who will be prepared to contribute to their democratic society.
Homework & Make-up Work
We missed you while you were out today but....
- Team 7-1 offers Assignment Support lunches everyday to give students extra "one on one" time with teachers of their core subjects. Absent & Late Work can also be completed during these support lunches.
- It is the student's responsibility to get the notes, classwork, and homework missed while absent.
- Any hand-outs will be available for students. The student also needs to meet with the teacher to discuss any concepts covered and any in class information they may have missed.
- Students may also stay on top of assignments whether they are absent or present by reviewing the team homework website at:
LATE WORK WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR A REDUCED GRADE.
First Late assignment: Minus 10%
Additional Late assignments: Minus 50%
TYPED WRITING ASSIGNMENTS...
All typed assignments must:
- include name, class, date, and title and should be "Right Aligned"
- be 12 point font, Times New Roman or Arial
- be double spaced
- NOT be emailed to your teacher to be printed
OH-NO.... You have printing problems the night before the paper is due! No worries, see below!
Class Expectations & Guidelines
- Come to class everyday PREPARED! When the bell rings students are expected to be in their seats and ready to begin. This means pencil sharpening, trips to lockers/bathroom, and gathering of materials are all completed BEFORE the bell rings. Students will receive a tardy slip after the bell rings.
- No food or drinks will be brought to class unless received as a reward/treat from a teacher.
- District classroom rules are posted in the classroom but one rule covers them all! Be RESPECTFUL!! Respect yourself, others, and property and you will be successful.
South Middle School Disciplinary Procedures
- First Offense: Verbal warning
- Second Offense: Conference with teacher
- Third Offense: Email/call parents/guardian
- Fourth Offense: Closed Lunch/2nd Conference with teacher
- Fifth Offense: Office referral to the 7th grade principal
Scholastic Book Clubs
When you login to look at books or to place a parent order, our class code is: GZD9N