Iditarod Elementary School
IDITAROD OFFICE STAFF
Principal: Mr. Nelson
Secretary: Ms. Nollner
Administrative Secretary: Mrs. Smith
Nurse: Mrs. Hegg
Instructional Coach: Mrs. Cochran
From the Office
Morning Drop Off
Parents/Guardians, School starts at 9:15 am. Please do not drop off your child before 8:50am. There is no one to watch your child in the morning.
PICK UP CHANGES
Parents/Guardians, if you have to change your child's Pick Up Routine after school, please call the office at 352-9100, by 3:00pm. if you know in advance please send a note to school with you child to give to the office.
VISITORS & VOLUNTEERS
All visitors and volunteers need to sign in at the front office upon arriving and leaving the school. Also, please fill out a "Visitor Pass" and wear it on the front of your shirt or blouse so you may clearly be identified while you are on our campus for the safety of all.
ONLINE ABSENCE REPORTING AVAILABLE ON iPARENT
Parents now have a method to report online student absences. A written note or telephone call is still acceptable, but online reporting is easy through iParent. Parents know if the absence is excused and for what reason. It is a way for schools to accurately report and track data on student absences.
iParent - a parent/guardian web based tool:
iParent allows access to student information including attendance, scheduling, discipline, and grades. A single password and login allows parental access to all family members that have students.
HAVE YOU MOVED?? GOTTEN A NEW PHONE NUMBER??
Have you moved to a new address or gotten a new telephone or cell phone number? If so, please take a few minutes to log in to your iParent account and make sure all of your family information is up to date.
Update your iParent account in these easy to follow steps:
1) Sign onto the School District’s homepage at matsuk12.us
2) Select the "PARENT" block
3) Click on "Quick Links"
4) Click on "iParent Frequently Asked Questions"
5) In upper right hand corner, click on "Click Here to Request an iParent Key"
There are several short screens to fill out. Your initial sign-on information will be e-mailed to you.
LOST AND FOUND ITEMS
There are many items that accumulate on a daily basis. Any articles of clothing will be on display during the lunch periods each Friday. All students will be encouraged to double check to make sure their coat, hat, boots, or gloves are not left behind. As we have limited space to keep unclaimed clothes, they will be routinely donated to local charities throughout the year.
Drop Off and Pickup Procedures
The curb and lane in the parking lot is a Fire Zone, that means it is a no parking zone.
Reminder Speed limit in the Parking lot and Drop off /Pickup loop is 5 MPH
If you would like to wait in your vehicle to drop off or pick up your student before and after school, please use the drop off & pickup loop. You must stay in your vehicle.
If you are in the parking lot, please find a designated parking spot to park and walk up to the school. Reminder that the Handicap Parking is only for the Handicap. By parking in the Designated parking area's and following all parking rules, we can keep the curbs and lane clear so other families can drive through.
Thank you, for helping us keep our student's and families safe.
The A, B, C's of the Drop Off and Pick Up Lane
Our drop off/pick up lane can be intimidating. If you follow these simple rules, it's a breeze.
A. Always follow the instructions of the staff members on duty.
B. Be considerate of other drivers AND students on our school grounds.
C. Caution is key. Observe the 5 MPH speed limit for everyone's safety.
9th Army "Arctic Warrior" Band
DR. Seuss Week
Dr. Seuss Celebration
Congratulation to 4th grade who won Dr. Seuss Jeopardy. Great job to all that participated.
The “Husky Hunt” is off to a great start. Each month a question will be asked about some information posted in our school newsletter which can be found on Iditarod’s web page (http://www.matsuk12.us/ide) Click on the Newsletter link located in the About Us tab. A Husky Hunt form will be sent home with the month’s search question. Students who correctly answer the question with a parent/guardian signature and return it to Ms. Nollner in the office by the posted deadline will receive a prize.
Parent Notification Concerning Wasilla-Fishhook Crosswalk
For the time being, Iditarod Elementary School does not have an approved walking route for students living East of Wasilla-Fishhook Road. To serve students and families that reside within walking distance of the school, the Mat-Su Borough School District is providing transportation services. If your child is not riding a bus to school and you would like to pursue this as an option, please contact the Mat-Su Borough School District’s Pupil Transportation Department at 373-2287 for more information.
Tips For Reading Success
Time for a Story: Want to spend time your child, build her reading skills, and help him/her learn to love books? you can do all three when you read aloud to him/her. Here are some suggestions
- Read regularly - Try to read to your child every day or have your child read to you. ou might aim for 10-20 minutes of bedtime reading for a peaceful end to the day. Bring along a book, and read to them during a sibling's sports practice. or curl up tighter with a book when you get home from work.
- Take Turns choosing a book- Your child may want to hear old favorites again and again. use your turn for new titles and variety (nonfiction, poetry, etc..).
- Let your child participate- ask you child to turn the page while you read. Also he/she can finish sentences that rhyme or fill in words she knows. go slowly so he. she had time to understand the story and look at the illustrations. your child will enjoy read-aloud time more if he/she plays an active role.
- Be Playful- You can use different voices for different characters (a high, squeaky voice for a mouse or a deep, booming voice for a hours). Or substitute your child's name for the main character's name, and use family members' name for the characters. Note: You don't have to be an expert reader - your child will love it when your read aloud because it's you.
Hello Husky Parents:
I will be working on standard Health Screenings for 5th graders this month. Screenings include height, weight, eyes, ears, dental, and blood pressure. I will be conducting a Scoliosis screening as well on 5th grade GIRLS ONLY. I will be sending home information regarding this screening in the next week or so. You may certainly contact me with questions as well.
We are here for the health and safety of your child.
-Standard Health Screenings will be ongoing throughout the year of those students in Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, and 5th grades. Also, all students new to our district will be screened as well. This is a basic height, weight, vision, hearing, blood pressure, and dental screening. If something should be further checked by a physician a referral will be sent home.
- If your child needs to take any medicine at school during the day, the prescription needs to be in its original container from the pharmacy and a medication authorization form in place from the prescribing physician.
- There have been many known cases of head lice in our community. Please examine your student regularly and discuss with them the importance of not sharing hats, hooded sweatshirts, coats, hair ties, head bands, brushes etc. Things we can share are: pencils, crayons, high-fives, and conversations.
- Please make sure hat, gloves, coats, snow pants and boots come to school with your child each day. As we all know, the weather can change fast in the great state of Alaska! Help your children be prepared.
- There are a lot of germs wherever you go. Encourage your child to thoroughly wash their hands here at school and at home.
If there are any questions or concerns, please contact me at 352-9104 or email email@example.com. Here’s to a great year!
Alaska Healthy Future Challege
Healthy Future Challenge - Marathon March
Exercise 60 minutes for 15 days. In addition, thanks to Skinny Raven Sports, get 26 miles in March to receive a prize and be entered into a drawing to win a pair of running shoes.
The Class with the highest participation in March Healthy Future Challenge will get a Frozen GoGurt Party . Marathon March Logs need to be turned in no later than April 6th.
Superhero Showdown: Skinny Raven is offering a $5 discount to Healthy Futures participants on registration for this fun 1.3k and 5k event. When your students register, they'll just have to enter the promotional code "superfutures" and select their school name. They'll also have an option to donate to Healthy Futures at the end of the registration process, and Skinny Raven will match up to $1000 in donations! Please help us promote this opportunity! We also have scholarships available for students with financial hardship--contact Matias Saari to request at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Out and Play, Every Day
Fred Meyer Community Rewards
You can Help Iditarod earn donation just by Shopping with your Fred Meyer Rewards Card
Fred Meyer Donates over $2million per a year to non-profits in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington based on where their customers tell them to give. Here's how the program works:
- Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Reward Card to Iditarod Elementary at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
You can search for us by our name or by our non-profit number #90453.
- Then, every time you shop and use your Reward Card, you are helping Iditarod Elementary earn donation!
- You still earn your Reward Points, Fuel Points, and Rebates, just as you do today.
- If you do not have a Reward card, they are available at the Customer Service Desk of any Fred Meyer.
- For more information, please visit www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
students with Positive Behavior
21st Century Community Learning Centers (CCLC)
4th Quarter 21st Century Community Learning Centers (CCLC)
21st Century Community Learning Centers (CCLC) forms went home with student on Friday . Forms need to be turned in by February 3rd, 2017 .
March 27 - May 4, 2017
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
PM - Transportation is available for those students within IDE's attendance boundary.
3rd Quarter 21st Century Community Learning Centers (CCLC) last day is: March 9, 2017
The School Store.com Fundraiser is well on it way. Over the past 7 years, SchoolStore has helped schools like ours raise over $10 million dollars. it is 100% online no door to door selling. Here are 3 ways to help support our School: donate a gift card, shop the family book store, or shop with featured merchants.
Go to: www.schoolstore.net
school name: Iditarod Elementary
School ID: 135047
Elementary Students (K-5): $1.75
Reduced (set by USDA): $0.30
Adult Meal: $3.75
Student Lunch Prices:
Elementary Students (K-5): $3.25
Reduced (set by USDA): $0.40
Adult Meal: $5.00
Click on link to see what's for Lunch!
Free & Reduced Lunch Application:
Unpaid meal charges are quickly surmounting and need to be paid immediately. Even though your child may be on the Free & Reduced Lunch Program, meal charges prior to acceptance into the program are required to be paid. These charges will follow your child from grade to grade unless they are paid to date. All charges must be paid prior to any child being withdrawn from the school district.
Substitutes Needed in the Cafeteria:
For more information contact Teresa Seaman at 907-352-9106
Sign up for Important updates from the PTA
Pick a way to receive message for Iditarod PTA
Get information for Iditarod Elementary School right on your phone
A. If you have a smartphone, get push notifications.
on your iPhone or Android phone, open your web browser and go to following link: rmd.at/idita
follow the instruction to sign up for Remind. you'll be prompted to download the mobile app.
B. If you don't have a smartphone, get text notifications.
Text the message @idita to the number 81010.
if you're having trouble with 81010, try texting @idita to (972)360-9663
*Standard text message rates apply.
C. Don't have a mobile phone?
Go to rdm.at/idita on a desktop computer to sign up for email notifications.
Dates to Remember
Location: Rm 146
KG - 3rd Field Trip
Where: AK Junior Theater
Play: Creole for Kids
Pastries with Parents
Time: 8:30am - 9:00am
Family Movie Night
Concessions will be sold
Show your "Husky" Pride by wearing your by wearing your school logo or any red shirt.
03/06/2017 - 05/12/2017
Gallon Ziploc Bag Box Top Challenge