The Central Scoop
January 24, 2020
From the Principal's Desk...
Thanks to your PTA enrichment dollars, all third graders had the opportunity to see regional dances from Spain by the performing group, Ensemble Español. Professional dancers did performances such as the Flamenco and taught students about the use of castanets and palms for the dances. Our third graders were so excited to engage in their learning too! This was a great way to finish up our unit on Spain! Olé!
I hope to see many of you tonight for Family Fun Night!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Central Elementary School
Important Announcement from Wilmette Fire Department
Do Not Try TickTok Penny Challenge Due to Serious Risk of Fire
Fire officials in Wilmette and across the country are sending a warning about a dangerous viral video that shows sliding a penny behind a partially plugged-in phone charger. Doing this can result in a short in the electrical outlet which can immediately cause a fire in a home or school and severely injure anyone in close proximity.
There are already incidents of this dangerous activity being investigated across neighboring communities. The Wilmette Fire Department asks anyone that witnesses this behavior or sees evidence of a burnt outlet to contact 911 immediately. Officials also urge parents to talk to their kids about this dangerous penny challenge.
A Central Family Experiencing A Loss
It is with a heavy heart that we bring you some very sad news. Mrs. Christine Emmerich, mother of Carl in Mrs. Vegter’s kindergarten class, passed away late Wednesday night following a lengthy battle with cancer. Many of us have had the privilege of knowing Christine and her family over the years. Carl does have two older siblings. Ben is currently a 7th grader at the junior high and Leo is a freshman at New Trier. Christine was a strong, kind, and loving woman who will be greatly missed in the community. Here is a link to the obituary - Click HERE. There will be information about services posted on the website soon. Please know the family is asking for no community support at this time. They have extended family in town assisting them. They appreciate everyone's understanding and offer of support.
Principal and Assistant Principal For a Day
Parent Presentation: Understanding How Identities Are Impacting Students Today
Summer Enrichment Information
Wilmette, District 39’s Summer Enrichment Program brochure is available online (view only) here: Summer Enrichment Program
Registration is done online and opens February 17, 2020 @ 9:00am.
Winter Weather Is Here!
Students must have snow pants, boots, gloves/mittens, and hats in order to play in the snow during recess.
Arrival and Dismissal
When it is below 10 degrees (feels like/wind chill):
- Doors will open at 8:20 and students will be brought into the building.
- Students will be brought into the office/lobby area if they are waiting outside too long at dismissal (discretion of the supervisors).
When dressed properly, school-aged children can participate in safe, active play in an outdoor environment in most weather conditions. Increased caution should be practiced when temperatures are below 5 degrees including the wind chill factor.
- 5 degrees or above including wind chill
- Outdoor recess
- Below 5 degrees including wind chill
- Indoor Recess (rotating schedule based on availability of space)
Increase In Illnesses at Central School
Please remember to encourage frequent hand washing practices (especially after coughing or sneezing) with your children, as hand washing is the single most important means of preventing the spread of infection. It is also important to keep sick children at home. Students must be free of fevers, vomiting, and diarrhea for 24 hours (without medication) before they can return to school. Students on antibiotics must be on them for at least 24 hours before returning to school. Our goal is to keep children healthy and we appreciate your cooperation and support.
Kindergarten Registration: Academic + Enrichment = FULL DAY! (Last Posting)
Registration is NOW underway for both kindergarten and the district's new enrichment program (KEEP39). Parents need to come in to school to enroll their child(ren), bringing along an original copy of their child’s birth certificate and two documents that provide proof of residency (details online). Please go to this link to learn more information and to download the necessary enrollment forms - Kindergarten Enrollment and Kindergarten Enrichment.
Please note - to reserve a spot in KEEP39, registration must be completed before January 31st.
Attention NEW Incoming 1st Grade Students for 2020-21 = Last Posting
We are watching our enrollment numbers for first grade very carefully for the 2020-2021 school year. We are hoping to add one section of classes for next year in 1st grade (we are hoping to have a total of FOUR sections). But in order to do this, we need our incoming first grade students to let us know about their intention to enroll for the 2020-21 school year. . If you have a current kindergartener in a private school this year, and you plan to send your child to Central for first grade next year, please talk to our secretaries about enrolling your child. Thank you!
PTA Announcements and Reminders...
* The PTA sends out their own newsletter on Sundays - here are just a few highlights
MOVIE EVENT AT WILMETTE THEATER!
Friday, January 31st from 11:55am - 2:15pm
Looking for a fun activity for your kids on January 31st after the early release from Central? Then sign up for them to join us at the Wilmette Theatre for a viewing of Angry Birds 2! Kids will meet in the cafeteria upon school dismissal and will be walked over to the Wilmette Theatre. Please send your child with a sack lunch that day as they will eat lunch once we get to the theatre. They will also enjoy popcorn and a juice box during the movie. This event is open to current 1st – 4th grade Central students only. The cost is $45/student and includes the popcorn and juice box. Sign-up here - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090e4daeab28a2fa7-early
CENTRAL P.E. DEPARTMENT GAME NIGHT!
Friday, February 7th from 6:00pm - 7:30pm
The Central P.E. Department is hosting a Game Night on Friday, February 7th from 6:00-7:30 PM in the Central School gyms. This event is limited to current 1st-4th grade Central students. Games will include Dodgeball and other fun activities. The cost is $40 per student with a maximum of 60 participants. Hope to see you there! Sign-up here - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090e4daeab28a2fa7-game2
Lunch duty is from 10:50am - 11:40pm. Sign up HERE!
Morning and afternoon time slots available. Sign up HERE!
Garden duty is from 11:05am -12:20pm. Sign up HERE!
Volunteers welcome in the Learning Commons! Click HERE to sign up.
From the Nurse's Office
Call Central School "Attendance Line" For Absences: 847-512-6150
Central Health Office Website
Here is your go-to site for all of your health related questions including PE/Recess Notes, Health Requirements, Dental Examinations, Allergy and Asthma, Medications, Snacks in Classrooms, Lice, Influenza...and more!
- Scout Troop 5 hosts its Annual Open House on Monday, January 27th, 7:30 pm at First Presbyterian Church of Wilmette.
- Community Recreation Center presents “How I Became a Pirate!” January 31st - February 9th.
- "PROJECT B3, Helping Parents Navigate the Digital Generation” a 90 minute presentation to help parents teach children how to be digitally responsible. February 12th at 7:00 pm at Marie Murphy School, Porto Community Room.
- Wilmette Baseball Association House League registration is now open for Kindergarten - 8th grade children.
- “Be a Hero” Blood Drive January 31st, 11:00 am - 4:00 pm at Wilmette Community recreation Center. Pediatric Cancer patients rely on blood donations.
- Wilmette Historical Museum presents “Fun with the Lincolns: February 16th 2:00 - 3:30 pm
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
- The Center for Gifted hosts Fall, Winter and Summer programs. View flyers for details.
- NSSRA offers Campyardigans for Summer 2020. See flyer for details.
- New Trier’s Kinesis Dance Company is hosting a matinee performance for young audiences. "Kinesis Kids Dance Concert" will be held at the Northfield Campus Cornog Auditorium on Saturday, February 8th at 2:00 pm.
WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT EVENTS:
- Wilmette Park District Saturday Basketball is back! For boys & girls grades 4-8.
- Sunday Youth Basketball for boys & girls grades 1-3. Contact Sara Hilby for information at email@example.com
Join us on Twitter!
Central School is on Twitter!
- We have TWO Twitter accounts. Please "follow" us at Twitter.com! Explore Central 39 (with our actual "handle" as @explorecentral). With this account, we mostly share student activities that are completed in the Learning Commons (but other activities are often included as well). We are also providing this Twitter feed on our Central School homepage.
- There is also a principal page @BeckyLittmann where you can follow a variety of school happenings including all-school events, classroom activities, PTA enrichment, and school goals.
Save the Dates...
1/24 - Family Fun Night & Open Gym, 6:00-7:30pm (dinner 5:30-6)
1/28 - Author Visit, Sara Shacter - Grades K-2
1/31 - D39 Early Release Day
1/31 - Movie Event at Wilmette Theater, 11:55 - 2:15pm
2/1 - Chicago Wolves Family Night, 7:00pm
2/5 - PTA General Meeting, Guest Speaker Sarah B Warren, Ph.D., 9:15am
2/5 - 3rd & 4th Grade Bingo Teacher Experience
2/6 - PASS39 Meeting @ Highcrest, 9:15am
2/7 - Game Night with Ms Peth, 6:00 - 7:30pm
2/7 - Game Night with Ms Peth, 6:00-7:30pm
2/13 - Open Gym, 6:00 - 7:30pm
3/5 - Second Grade Music Performance: Did You Hear that Sound?
3/16-3/19 - Parents Visit Music Class (more details to come next week!)