CSA Lincoln Newsletter
Principal's Notes and Highlights
It's February 24th and over 70 degrees. So that definitely called for this week's Husky Gram winners to walk with me to Dairy Queen for their treat!
- Last night our Math Bowl Team placed 3rd in their division at the competition! They were only two points out of finishing in first. At the state level, we placed 30th in our division that included over 100 teams! I am extremely proud of how our academic teams (Math, Spell, and Robotics) competed this year. I told the students during Town Hall Meeting this morning that we want them to be excited about excelling in academics and encouraged them to try out next year for one of the teams.
- Speaking of excelling academically, we will be kicking off our ISTEP pep rally next Monday. I often tell our teachers that regardless of what the challenge is, our job is to prepare our students to be successful. Last year our school had the highest %Pass ISTEP scores in the district and we know our students are ready to repeat. I told the students this morning, our motto is work hard-play hard. We want to reward students for giving their best effort next week and our ISTEP theme is Fitbit ISTEP Challenge. Students in grades 3-6 can earn "steps" by doing pre-writing, double-checking their answers, etc. and if the class accumulates a certain number of steps they get to spin a prize wheel. Our goal is for each class to get to spin the wheel each day to earn prizes for that afternoon. They will get an opportunity to suggest prizes (extra recess, ice cream treats, etc.) to go on the wheel. This way each student in the class gets to participate. Grades K-2 will also be a part of the challenge and can earn "steps" and spin the wheel! Please encourage your student to do their very best next week!
- ISTEP Part 1 & IREAD Testing Starts Next Tuesday! ISTEP Part 1 testing dates: 2/28-3/3 IREAD (3rd grade only): 3/7-8. Please don't schedule appointments in the morning.
- Our enrollment for kindergarten is complete for next year. I've included a few more photos of some new Huskies!
Have a great weekend!
Our AMAZING Math Bowl Team!
We need your help!
Help our school playground win a grant for an extreme makeover! Each year, the Healthy Playground sweepstakes through Together Counts provides the opportunity for you to win big for your school! Anyone in our community can enter daily for a chance to win $30,000 for our school’s healthy transformation and a new playground. Sign up is easy, just choose our school from the list and enter your name and email.
HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
Anyone can enter on behalf of our school. Enter once a day, every day until March 24, 2017. The more entries your school has, the greater chance it has to win!
Kinsa-178 families already enrolled!
Why should you participate in this program?
1. You receive a free thermometer that is shipped to your home.
2. It is easy to enroll. The app is free. It took me 3 minutes to download the app, join the CSA group and create profiles of each member of my family. I instantly received an email notifying me that my thermometer was being shipped.
3. By joining the CSA Lincoln group, you will have access to a message board that you can connect with our school nurse and other users. Mrs. Helwig can update the group of health trends in our school (example: 3rd grade is noticing a spike in temperatures this week. Please make sure your students are washing their hands, etc.).
4. You data is anonymous and not shared with others. It also tracks your data so you can track health trends of your family members.
5. You can use the app as little or as much as you want.
How was CSA Lincoln selected?
We are thankful to have such wonderful parents who continue to find ways to improve our school. This opportunity became available because one of our parents learned about the program, applied on our behalf and we were accepted!
Cost if you buy the thermometer at retail: $19.95
Deadline to Enroll: Wednesday, March 16th
Meet Our Newest Huskies!
Please share The Linden Project #celebratecolumbus video on Facebook!
PTO Ongoing Fundraisers
Kroger Community Rewards
1. Visit www.kroger.com/communityrewards.com or call
1-800-Krogers, Option #3 to enroll your Kroger Plus Card in the Community Rewards Program and designate Columbus Signature Academy -Lincoln as your organization. Click “Enroll Now” on the Community Rewards page and enter our organization number 11083.
Use your Kroger Plus Card while shopping at the Kroger on National Road.
Trolls Movie Night
Friday, March 3rd is PTO Family Movie Night! Gather your blankets, pillows, and some Husky friends and join us in the CSA Lincoln gym for a night of hair-raising fun! Doors open at 6:00pm so come early to get your seat and enjoy some pre-movie activities. Trolls will begin at 6:30pm. This is a free event for CSA Lincoln students and their families. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Snacks will be provided, however feel free to bring dinner with you to picnic with friends during the movie! Hope to see you there!
McDonald's Restaurant Night Fundraiser
On Friday, March 3rd, 20% of ANY purchase, dine in or drive thru, at the McDonald's on 3rd Street between 5-7pm will be returned to CSA Lincoln PTO and in turn go toward supporting The Linden Project. Flyers will come home with students next week, but only as a reminder or to pass along to family or friends. NO FLYER IS NEEDED so make sure to let everyone you know to visit McDonald's on 3rd Street that night between 5-7pm! Better yet, swing by McDonald's on your way to Trolls Movie Night and bring your dinner with you!
Dual Language Program ~ Two-way Immersion - TAKE THE SURVEY!!!
BCSC is exploring a Two-Way Immersion Pathway as an option available to BCSC children and families. Two-way immersion, also known as a dual language program, consists of a balance of native English speakers and native Spanish speakers learning collaboratively. The students in this pathway will receive instruction and complete class work in both languages across all content areas. Beginning in 2018-19, this pathway would be available to Pre-K and Kindergarten students.
As a stakeholder in Bartholomew County, we invite you to complete the following interest inventory.
Thank you for your participation.
BCSC Pre-K Applications
Our BCSC Pre-K Program is now accepting applications. Children must be 4 years old on or before August 1st, 2017. The application process will remain open, but we will start filling classroom rosters in March. The application can be found on the BCSC homepage. The direct link is, http://www.bcsc.k12.in.us//cms/module/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=1050. For more information, please feel free to contact us at 812-376-4569.
WHAT IF WE NEEDED YOU TO KNOW...
WHAT IF there was an EMERGENCY? WHAT IF we needed to GET INFORMATION TO YOU? This is a QUICK and EASY way to communicate needed information TO YOU!
Click here to join the CSA Lincoln group.
Click here for directions on how to receive text message updates from Mr. Findley
Husky Gram Winners
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!