September 10, 2021
A Note from Mrs. Hoke
Thank you for your support and patience as we continue to address carpool needs. Morning arrival operated more smoothly, however, we still have a few parents who are getting out of their cars while in the carpool line. Carpool runs faster when parents stay in their vehicles. Please see our reminders below.
Since school has been in session we have been dismissing our students early to help get everyone in place. Now, that we are familiar with our routines it is imperative that instructional time is protected, therefore dismissal will be at 3:45 pm effective Monday, September 13th. Please expect that adjustments will naturally need to occur with carpool dismissal procedures.
Thank you in advance for your patience.
Morning Carpool Arrival
For those of you who drop your children off at morning carpool, we would like to ask for your assistance in order to make the line move more efficiently and keep your children safe.
1. Please drive all the way up to begin drop-off at the LAST adult (Mrs. Ross).
2. Your child may get out of the car once you are on the bumper-to-bumper line stopped between the 3 adults stationed.
3. Please have your child ready to leave your car with masks on and bags nearby.
4. If possible, please have your child exit the car on the curbside.
5. Please remain in your car.
Again, in efforts to make morning carpool most efficient and safe, we thank you in advance for your cooperation and consideration.
When students are ill or have symptoms (such as a COVID SYMPTOM) we ask that you follow the county's covid-related protocols before students can return:
- A negative PCR COVID test (not a “rapid antigen” test)
- A doctor's note listing an alternate diagnosis (AND it has been at least 24 hours since you had a fever without the use of fever-reducing medicine AND you have felt well for 24 hours).
- 10-day quarantine without symptoms.
Students may return if It has been at least 10 days since they first had symptoms (AND it has been at least 24 hours since they had a fever without the use of fever-reducing medicine AND symptoms are improving, including cough and shortness of breath).
Other pathways may be warranted and will be shared when appropriate. Detailed information can be found HERE.
In an effort to enhance Covid safety at Penny Road Elementary, we are organizing a parent-led effort to purchase HEPA filters for classrooms and common areas within the school.
While WCPSS has installed MERV 13 filters in schools across the county, these filters only remove approximately 58% of the aerosols containing the virus. Proper masking reduces the risk of virus transmission by approximately 50%. Combined with HEPA filters in the classroom, the overall risk reduction is greater than 90%. However, at the moment, there is no district-wide initiative to purchase HEPA filters for classrooms, and this is why we are asking for everyone's help.
All contributions will be collected through a Go Fund Me account that has been established by parents.
- Donate to our fundraiser by going to https://gofund.me/222a5aec
Any small contribution counts! Although these units are expensive (ranging from U$300-600), if each family could contribute we hope to cover most of the school. Given the rapid spread of COVID-19 in the community, we are hoping to get most of the donations within the next 2 weeks, by September 17.
If you have any questions, please contact Adriana de Souza e Silva (email@example.com).
Penny Road Parents
Important Upcoming Dates
Thursday, September 16th - No School - Teacher Work Day
September 27th - October 1st - Book Fair
Save the date......
The Outdoor Cafe is shaping up to be a success! Thank you to all the parent volunteers who helped make this happen. In order to keep it going, we need four parent volunteers for each lunch. We've divided the lunches up into two shifts. The first shift is 10:45am - 12:30pm and the second shift is 12:30pm - 2:15pm. If you can help us out here and there that would be great! In order to volunteer, you MUST be registered as a WCPSS volunteer. In order to do this, just email Ms. Valvano at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask her to send you the volunteer registration link. It takes about 2-5 days after filling out the information to be approved. Once you're approved, you can sign up for a time slot to help out at https://signup.com/go/uWnpNcm .
- All volunteers are required to wear a mask over their mouth and nose at all times, regardless of vaccination status.
- Each volunteer MUST be a registered WCPPS volunteer. You will receive a completed background check from CastleBranch once it is complete.
- Volunteers will help set up the picnic blankets outside the cafeteria, wipe them down between classes, fold them, and put them away after the last lunch. (Instructions will be provided onsite!) You'll help to ensure students put their masks on when finished eating and before entering the building and throw away any trash left behind.”
- Make sure to Like and Follow the Penny Road Elementary PTA Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/PennyRoadPTA. We will primarily be using the Panda Pulse and the PRE PTA Facebook page to communicate with you this upcoming school year.