ようこそ - Welcome!
Welcome to Japanese 2 at NCVPS!
First thing's first - please submit your Student Information Survey and Course Contract now!
Please click the link above schedule your welcome call with me now. Be sure to remember your date/time. You may want to write it down on a calendar or set a reminder in your phone or email.
About The Course:
- Japanese 2 is the continuation of Japanese 1. In order to take this course, you should have already completed Japanese 1 with a passing grade. If you did not do this yet, please contact me today so we can update your schedule.
- Japanese 2 is entirely online. It is *NOT* self-paced. We have due dates and deadlines for assignments, just like your other classes.
- You will need to log on to your class every day (Mon through Fri). NCVPS expects that students will spend an average of 90 minutes each day on this course studying and completing assignments.
- When you log in, always read the announcements first. If this is your first time logging in, take some time to explore the course. Click around! Don't be shy!
- You will have assignments to complete daily, so you will need to read all material (announcements, due date calendar, course material, directions for your assignments, etc.) step-by-step so that you don't miss anything!
- We ask that you keep in mind your responsibility as an online student. You are expected to participate actively and abide by all NCVPS guidelines.
- Your grade will be determined by quizzes, speaking assignments, course projects and language coaching participation. There are no mid term or final exams, but there are mid term and final projects that will need to be planned far in advance of submission.
- You are required to attend and actively participate in 2 language coaching sessions each week. Language coaching is a great way to review course material and practice what you are learning. Plus - it's a lot of fun and a great way to get to know your fellow classmates!
- You can find your grades for the course by clicking the My Grades tab link in the left hand navigational toolbar.
Please print out a copy of the Due Date Calendar and keep it where you will each it each day so you can keep track of when each assignment is due. Don't forget to print each tab for the 5 months of our course!
Please complete these items TODAY:
- Fill out your Student Information Survey and Course Contract (posted above)
- Schedule Your Welcome Call
- Sign Up for Language Coaching (go to the "コーチ My Coach" link on your left hand toolbar)
Please complete these items in the first few days of course access:
- Download & Install Blackboard IM (link on your left hand toolbar)
- Visit the "Orientation" link on your left hand toolbar and complete all 8 of the content folders
- Visit the "せんせい - My Teacher" link for my contact info, office hours and how to reach me
- Set your computer up for class by going through the list below.
Getting Your Computer Ready for Japanese 2
You'll need to download Blackboard IM and install the application on your computer you'll be using for this class. Please click the Blackboard IM button on your left hand navigational toolbar and follow the instructions.
I recommend using the Firefox browser to access blackboard and your course material. Follow the instructions in the link to download Firefox for free.
Click this link to verify that your version of Java is the most up to date version. You can download a FREE update if you need a more recent version.
Follow this link for instructions on how to set up your computer to type in Japanese.
Having Tech Issues?
NCVPS Peer Tutoring Center
NCVPS has a FREE peer tutoring center for all Japanese students! Click the link to find out more! You can also access this via the Peer Tutoring Center link on your left hand navigational toolbar. Peer tutors can also be accessed via Blackboard IM:
Meet Your Teacher
はじめまして みんなさん！ わたし の なまえ は ブーティン サラ です。 どうぞ よろしく おねがいします。
Nice to meet you! My name is Sarah Boutin and I will be your teacher for Japanese 2 this semester. You can find out more about me by clicking the せんせい My Teacher tab on your left hand navigational toolbar.
In Japan, students address their teachers by their last name and "sensei" which means teacher, so rather than calling me "Mrs. Boutin" you can call me "Boutin Sensei" for this course. :)
My Weekly Office Hours:
Monday: 5PM - 9PM
Tuesday: 10AM - 12PM
Wednesday: 7PM - 9PM
Thursday: 1PM - 3PM
Friday: 10AM - 12PM
Also available by appointment: http://doodle.com/sarahboutin
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me at any time during the course for any questions, needs or concerns along the way. Since we can't physically meet in a classroom, it's important to reach out to me as soon as possible as things come up during the course. I will respond to your messages within 24 hours on weekdays and all of my contact info is below:
Thank you for joining the course and I am looking forward to working with all of you and getting to know more about each of you. Let's have a great semester!
がんばってください！ (Translated this means "please do your best" and is used to encourage and motivate others to put forth their best efforts in all they do.) ^_^