The Georgia Colony
Establishment of the Georgia Colony
The Georgia colony was founded in 1732 by James Oglethorpe
and other settlers.
~What is his middle name?
~Why is he famous?
James Oglethorpe was famous as a commander of the Georgia colony
The establishment of Georgia colony was based on 3 motives: contributing, commercial, and military.
Information and facts about Georgia Colony
- The only religion that was NOT welcome in the Georgia Colony was the Roman Catholic religion
- James Oglethorpe provided as the Georgia Colony's governor for 12 years. During this time slavery and alcohol were banned. When he reappeared to England the alcohol ban was lifted immediately and in 1749 slavery was allowed
- Georgia Colony's considerable city was Savannah
- Because the warm humidity in the Georgia Colony, and the good agricultural land, it was possible to grow crops
- The Georgia colony became a state on January 2nd, 1788
- Natural belongings in the Georgia Colony included timber, agricultural land, and fish
- The Georgia Colony, along with the Southern colonies, had the largest slave populations of all 13 colonies