Volume I Issue II
High School NHS Hosts Blood Drive
By: Elena Gentry
In January, thirty-six brave souls volunteered to donate blood as part of the high school NHS blood drive in conjunction with Vitalarit. Each person donated around a pint of blood, which raised twenty-eight total pints of blood by the time the drive was over.
Fun Blood Facts:
Did you know that people who donate blood are actually at a lower risk for heart attack and diabetes than non-donors?
Did you know that a single donation of blood can help save up to 3 people?
Someone in the US needs blood every two seconds.
Tiger Varsity Knowledge Bowl Goes to State!
By: Jackson Dalton
The Tigers After Their Triumphant Victory at Regionals.
Back: Jackson Dalton
Grand Opening of the Upper Rio Grande Bistro
Students can easily view each day's meal options by viewing the menu at https://sites.google.com/urtigers.co/rgbistro/home. The menu can also be found by navigating to the home page, dncsd.org, clicking on departments, and then clicking on the "food service" link.
Additionally, the Upper Rio Grande Bistro is more open than the Field House Cafeteria. After students receive their meal, they can either choose to sit on the couches by the fireplace, or in the other seating arangments such as tall chairs, tables, and booths. We are excited and grateful for this amazing addition to the new school!
By: Valerie Pearson
Tiger Gear Now On Sale!
Tiger Boy's Basketball
By: Allison Noller
How is the season going?
"It's doing pretty good. All of our wrestlers have pretty good records and are feeling strong and positive about heading into regionals and then hopefully state.
Come support your Del Norte Tiger Wrestling team at the Regional match February 14-15th in Sierra Grande.
This Month's Art
By: Azzy Garcia
This month the art room has some amazing art to show case, but here are just a few that the Broadcasting crew wanted to share. We'd like to give big shout out to all the artists who share their art with the school.
For a Laugh: Valentine's Day Entertainment
Valentine's Day Memes
Valentine's Day Riddles
What did the hamburg buy his sweetheart?
An onion ring
What did the two volcanos say to each other on Valentine's Day?
Do you lava me like I lava you
What did one blueberry say to the other on Valentine's Day?
I love you berry much
What do you write in a slug's Valentine's Day card?
Be my Valentine-slime
Why did the banana go out with the prune?
Because he couldn't get a date
What did the boy pickle say to the girl pickle?
You mean a great dill to me
What did one snake say t the other snake?
Give me a little hug and hiss, honey
What did the pencil say to the paper?
I dot my i's on you
What did the paper clip say to the magnet?
I find you very attractive
What did one light bulb say to the other?
I love you a whole watt
By: Allison Noller
Valentine's Day Songs
Never underestimate the power of music to make good memories. This Valentine's Day, consider putting together a special playlist for your special someone. Below is a list of some tracks that are sure to make your guy or gal feel your fondness.
By: Allison Noller
Can't Get Over You
by Jack Stauber
Take Me To Your Best Friend's House
by Tongue Tied
by Lonely God
Chinese New Year
Just My Type
by The Vamps
by Kuzu Mellow
Falling For You
Baby I'm Yours
by Khia Dreams
Can I Call You Tonight?
Make You Mine
Please Never Fall In Love Again
by Ollie MN
I'm Tired Of Feeling This Way
by Elijiah Who
Cheesy Valentine's Day Pick-Up Lines
2. Do you have a bandaid? I scrapped my knee falling for you
3. Are you french? Because Eiffel for you
4. Is your name Google? Because you have everything I'm looking for
5. I know this is going to sound cheesy, but I think you're the gratest
6. Are you a keyboard? Because you are my type
7. If you were a vegetable, you'd be a cutecumber
8. Your name must be Coca Cola because you're so-da-licious
9. Do you like science? Because I've got my Ion you
10. Are you appendix? Because I don't understand how you work, but this feeling in my stomach makes me want to take you out.
By: Elena Gentry
Valentine's Day Recipes
Chocolate - Covered Strawberry Cobbler
- 1 cup of butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups of self-rising flour
- 2-1/4 cups of sugar, divided
- 3/4 cups of 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of baking cocoa
- 4 cups of fresh strawberries, quartered
- 2 cups of boiling water
- whipped cream and additional strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place butter in a 13x9-in baking pan; heat pan in oven 3-5 minutes or until butter is melted. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1-1/4 cups of sugar, milk and vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, mix cocoa and remaining sugar.
- Remove baking pan from oven ; and batter. Sprinkle with strawberries and cocoa mixture; pour boiling water evenly over top (DO NOT STIR). Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cake portion comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream and additional strawberries.
- Makes 12 servings
Candy Heart Bark
- 6 oz. white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 oz. pink candy melts
- 1/4 tsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Conversation heart candies
- Take a large baking sheet and line is with parchment paper and set aside for later
- Use a double boiler, or microwave, to melt the while chocolate and pink candy melts together. Microwave, stir the chocolate every 20 seconds. After it's melted stir in the oil and set aside.
- Melt the semisweet chocolate, same way the white and pink chocolate was melted. Pour onto the baking pan and spread it using a spoon or rubber spatula. Drizzle white chocolate mixture on top, swirl it in using a toothpick or knife. Sprinkle the candy hearts on.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours. After it hardens break it apart and serve.
Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 pound whipped cream cheese
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Add all ingredients to lis
Mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 2 tablespoons sugar together in a bowl. Press crumbs into the bottoms of prepared muffin cups.
Beat cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract together in a bowl until filling is smooth. Divide filling between muffin cups
Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden around the edges and slightly cracked, about 10 minutes. Cool completely and top each with cherry pie filling