The Panther Post
November 13, 2023 Volume 70
* BACED rotation schedule for week 15, 11/13-11/17
* Advisory schedule Tuesday, November 14th
* Parents can pay fees online by clicking DMS fee payment on our website or bring a check or cash to the front office
* 11/10 - NO SCHOOL for Veteran's Day holiday
* 11/16 - Thanksgiving lunch at DMS (few minutes added to each lunch)
* 11/20-11/24 - Thanksgiving Holidays (NO SCHOOL)
*FCA meeting on Friday November 17th from 7:40-8:05 in the Media Center! Special Guest Speaker:Russell Johnson!
Reminder from the nurse
Thank you to everyone who has already completed the Impact Aid form electronically this semester! We do need EVERY family in the district to fill out this form once.
If you have not done so, please take a few moments to fill out the online Impact Aid form. This will benefit the schools immensely in helping receive federal money to make up for lost taxes. Only ONE form is needed per family.
Click the link below to access the instructions and form:
Thank you for your help!
Veteran's Day Assemblies and Breakfast
6th grade Scholar's Bowl
7th and 8th Scholar's Bowl
Both teams played extremely well, but fell short of making the playoffs. Next tournament is Nov 18 in Decatur.
Muscle Shoals Math Tournament Results
6th grade team - 2nd place
Individual trophy winners for 6th:
Vedanth Siva 3rd place
Jack Walker 7th place
Jackson McCloud 10th place
7th grade team - 4th place
8th grade team - 3rd place
Individual trophy winner for 8th:
Cathy Liao - 10th place
Tootsie Roll Runners
- Please ensure that your students adhere to the dress code. All clothing must meet appropriate guidelines as noted in the DMS Student Handbook and MCS Code of Conduct. Also, students may bring a jacket or sweater if they are cold; however, blankets and stuffed animals are not allowed as a cover at school.
- Attendance is very important. Please be sure to send absence notes to email@example.com whenever your student is absent from school.
- Students should arrive to class on time and be in their seats when the tardy bell rings.
- For morning drop off and afternoon dismissal, parking in the front northeast lot or in the loop at the front office will soon require a clearly marked parking pass. Those without this pass are asked to use the car line. Thanks to everyone for using the car line unless you have an "approved reason" from the DMS administration. Approved reasons are for SRO, medical/emergency, special needs, late arrival, etc. We are working for the safety of all of our students and staff at DMS. Thank you for your continued support!
Lost and Found
- Please encourage your students to check the DMS Lost & Found near the front office if they have misplaced any items.
- The Lost and Found will be cleared out on the first day of each month and unclaimed items will be donated to a worthy cause.
Nurse Kemi is in need of supplies for the school's clinic and for the Care Closet. Please consider purchasing items from the amazon wishlist!
It is the season for giving, and we would like to gift each staff member at DMS with a Nothing Bundt Cakes bundlet to thank them for all that they do. This includes teachers, admin, office staff, cafeteria workers, nurses, bus drivers, custodians... every DMS employee who makes a difference in our kids' lives. Bundlets are $6 each and will be distributed at the Jingle and Mingle staff luncheon on Dec. 8. You do not have to specify a flavor. We will have a variety of flavors available for each person to choose from. The sale ends Tuesday, Nov. 28.
Have you linked your Kroger account to the Discovery Middle School PTA? The Kroger Community Rewards program makes fundraising easy by donating to local organizations based on the shopping you do every day. Once you link your Kroger Rewards Card to an organization, all you have to do is shop at Kroger and swipe your Shopper’s Card, and Kroger will donate a portion of your total to the organization of your choice. Your price stays the same.
If you haven't purchased your membership yet, please consider joining today. Who can join the DMS PTA? Everyone! Families, teachers, administrators, staff, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, even businesses can join the PTA. The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. Thank you to everyone that has joined for the 2023/2024 school year!