Family Weekly Newsletter: September 19-23, 2022
DAILY SCHOOL INFORMATION
- Students will be able to enter the building beginning at 7:30 AM. They will grab a bagged breakfast (if they choose, meals are no longer free for all) and head to their locker and their first class, Advisory.
- School ends at 2:30 PM, this is a change from last year.
- Buses leave NMS by 2:45 each day
Office Hours: 7:15 AM - 3:15 PM
EVERYONE IS INVITED!!
STUDENT ACTIVITIES, SPORTS & CLUBS
PHOTOJOURNALISM CLUB (YEARBOOK)
Our Photojournalism club will meet every Tuesdays from 2:40 - 4:30 in room 124. Our club exists to allow students with a passion for photography to tell the story of Nicollet Middle School and our amazing community through their eyes! In this club, students will:
- Help create the Nicollet Yearbook!
- Learn to use a DSLR camera
- Learn how to tell a story with photos.
- Learn how to write captions for photos.
- Get into football, tennis, cross country, track, wrestliing, basketball, etc. games and other events as "Staff Photographer".
Our first meeting is THIS TUESDAY, September 20, right after school until about 4:30.
THE GREEN TEAM!
Ms. Philipsek - Room 304 or Ms. Challgren - Room 328
~Ms. Philipsek & Ms. Challgren
SINGERS & SWINGERS
FALL 2021 - Spring 2022
WITH MRS. BAKKEN and BEKAH BERRY
Come sing and dance! We will sing in the fall and learn the basics of east Coast Swing... including Jam Circles with aerials!
Fall: Students will learn a variety of holiday music to be performed at the MOA.
Spring: Students will learn specialized dance routines to perform during several field trips in the Spring. Parents are always welcome and encouraged to come along!
We meet every Thursday morning at 7:00 a.m. in the choir room or auxiliary gym.
Year Long: $99.00
THIS WILL BEGIN IN OCTOBER
Jazz band will improve overall playing skills and promote ear training. We have several fieldtrips during the year. We meet Tuesday & Friday mornings through Advisory. Can't be at school early? Students are more than welcome to join when they get to school and stay through Advisory!
Year Long: $99.00
THIS WILL BEGIN IN OCTOBER
The Nicollet Chess Club is open to all students even if you do not know how to play chess! We meet after school Tuesdays and Thursdays starting October 11th in the media center. For those interested, we do have competitions and parties as well! Register through ISD 191 community education. Should you have questions or need financial assistance, please contact coach Brian Ribnick (firstname.lastname@example.org)
No class Nov 3, 8, 24, Dec 25, 27, Mar 9.
WEEKLY STUDENT CLUBS & ACTIVITIES
Singers & Swingers - (Oct.)Thursdays 7:00AM in Choir Room, Ms. Bakken
Jazz Band - (Oct.)Tuesdays & Thursdays 7:00AM through Advisory in Band Room, Ms. Bakken
Chess Club - (starts 10/10) 2:30 - 4:00 in the Media Center, Mr. Ribnik & Mr. Voris
Quiz Bowl - Information coming soon! Mr. Hartman
Fishing Club - Information coming soon! Mr. Benson
Photojournalism Club (Yearbook) - Tuesdays 2:45 - 4:30 in Room 124, Mr. Reeves
Student Council - (starts 9/28)Wednesdays 2:45 - 4:15 in Room 114, Mr. Iverson/Mr. Sorensen
Dungeons & Dragons Club - (starts 9/28)Wednesdays 2:45 - 4:15 in Room 116, Mr. Iverson
Burnsville Youth Collaborative (BYC) for Grade 6-8: Our BYC afterschool program combines academic support and enrichment along with recreational activities. The program will run Tuesday - Thursday from 2:30PM - 6:00PM each day. Transportation is provided for students within the bus zone. BYC is set to begin October 25th. More information will be released after school has started.
If you have transportation questions please call: 952-707-2067 or 952-707-2069. They can address concerns about bus stops, times, etc.
You are able to view your bus information in ParentVue.
There is an activity bus that runs from Nicollet to Burnsville High School right after school. This bus is for students involved in BHS activities only. Passes will be used to ensure only students in activities are using this bus.
There will also be an after school bus that leaves Nicollet between 4:30 - 4:45 for those involved in Nicollet activities and sports. This will be running in time for the 1st day of middle school sports on Thursday, September 8th.
For more information about bussing (pay to ride, etc), please go to: https://www.isd191.org/discover/departments/transportation
In order for us to effectively communicate with you throughout the school year, please make sure you update your address, phone numbers, email address and emergency contact/s on PARENTVUE. This information is very important as it is the only way to contact you in the event of an emergency.
We will send weekly bulletins for families through email. We will also regularly call home with voicemail message updates.
Additionally, Parents/Guardians now have the option of receiving text notification from District 191 and its schools. Text messages are timely and relevant, including weather related school closure information, emergency announcements and others.
In order to participate, parents/guardians must opt-in by texting “subscribe” to the
Learn more about ParentVue at https://www.isd191.org/enroll/student-information
Schoology connects students to their teachers. Students get class assignments, link to readings and guides selected by their teacher, collaborate with classmates, and work on self-paced learning activities. Families can see upcoming assignments and announcements, view assignments, test schedules and daily grades for current classes, and more.
Food and Nutrition Services
- Free meals for all students have expired.
- Families are encouraged to complete the Application for Educational Benefits. https://www.isd191.org/enroll/application-for-educational-benefits
- Meal prices are based on the results of completing the Application for Educational Benefits. It may take up to 10 days for your application to be processed. Families will receive a letter in the mail letting them know if they have been approved or denied. Meals must be paid for until families are notified of the results.
- Applications may be submitted at any time during the school year, and especially if there has been an increase to household members or decrease to household income.
- Money is expected to be deposited into meal accounts prior to making meal purchases. Money MUST be in accounts to make la carte purchases.
Credit/Debit Cards online through PayPams website
Cash at secondary schools using NetCash machines in the cafeteria
Checks at secondary schools using the check drop box
Cash or checks at elementary schools in a marked envelope provided to the student's teacher
- All students need to use their PIN (Personal Identification Number) at meals and should practice memorizing this 4 or 5 digit number.
- Menus, nutrition, and allergen information can be found online at https://schools.mealviewer.com/
- A special diet statement must be completed and on record in order for the Food & Nutrition Services department to make accommodations. https://www.isd191.org/discover/departments/health-services
- Visit the Food and Nutrition Services webpage for more information: https://www.isd191.org/discover/departments/food-nutrition-services
Nicollet Spirit Wear!
Check out our Nicollet Spirit Wear Sale!
We have a great new Nicollet Clothing store this year! This Spirit Wear store will be open all year! Orders will be made as they come in. Orders usually arrive in 3-5 business days! Make sure to check it out, many great items!
- Nicollet now has a buzzer system at the front door. Please go to the marked door and push the button on the camera monitor mounted near the door. Please let the office know the purpose of your visit.
- Nicollet Middle School wants to maintain a safe and secure learning environment for students. We require ALL visitors to sign in at the main office and wear a visitor pass sticker while in the building.
- Visitors beyond the main office will be limited in accordance with health and safety guidelines.
- We value communication with parents/guardians and we are not always available when parents/guardians stop by without an appointment. If you would like to meet with or talk with the principal, associate principal, the dean of students, your child’s teachers, or other staff members, please call or send an email in advance to schedule an appointment.
Student Pick Up
- If you know your child will be leaving during the day, please have them drop a note off in the office before the start of the school day indicating the time they will be picked up.
- Any student leaving early must check out in the main office.
- When you arrive to pick up your child, please remain in your car and call the main office. We will send your child to your vehicle.
- If your child is ill, they need to visit the nurse before being excused for the day. If the nurse has not sent them home, we cannot count the absence as excused.
Messages/Phone Calls for Students
- Cellphones are away for the day. Therefore students should not be receiving calls or texts. If you are trying to get a hold of your child, please call the main office at 952-707-2600. We try not to interrupt class to get messages to students, unless it is an emergency. If there is an emergency, please ask for an administrator and they will handle the situation.
Items Dropped Off for Students
- There are many items dropped off in the main office each day. The office will not call a student out of class for an item that has been delivered. Students are able to stop by the office during passing time or their lunch to retrieve items. If possible, they will be delivered to the classroom for the student.
Our District Policy 503 on Student attendance reads: Regular school attendance is directly related to success in academic work, benefits students socially, provides opportunities for important communications between teachers and students, and establishes regular habits of dependability important to the future of the student.
In alignment with this policy, the following are some guidelines regarding attendance:
If your child cannot attend school for any reason, please call our attendance line within 24 hours at 952-707-2604 to excuse them.
If your child is experiencing any of the symptoms in the graphic to the right or has received a positive COVID test, please call our attendance line at 952-707-2604.
When leaving a message please include:
Your child’s name(including the spelling of first & last name)
Callback phone number
Brief Description. If your child is sick, please leave any symptoms they have.
- If a student is absent and no telephone call has been received from the parent/guardian, the school may contact the parent/guardian. It is important to provide the school with current home, cellphone, and work telephone numbers via ParentVUE.
- All absences not excused within 24 hours, by telephone or a signed note, will be considered unexcused.
- Occasionally, students arrive late to school. Parents should call in to the attendance line to excuse the tardy.
- Students who accumulate seven full days of unexcused absences are considered truant and referred to the county.
Parent Drop off & Pick up
Just a reminder that our parent drop-off location is on the east side of Nicollet near the tennis courts (the same location as parent pick-up). Please circle around the lot rather than pulling into parking spaces to avoid having your child cross through traffic to enter the school. Students should be picked up by 2:45pm. After school, you will only be able to turn RIGHT out of our parking lot. We appreciate your cooperation to make thIS process safe for EVERYONE.
If you are dropping your child off at school after 7:45 AM, please drop them off at the front of the school, door 1, because they will need to check into the office for a tardy pass to class.
Please do not enter the driveway between Sky Oaks and Nicollet. This is where buses are entering and exiting and dropping students off here is a safety concern.
THE MAP IS BELOW:
Please discuss the use of electronics at school with your child.
- All students are issued a Chromebook from ISD191 to be used for instructional and educational purposes. No other electronic devices should be used in place of chromebooks during the school day.
- All Chromebooks are to be used in alignment with the district electronics policy.
Headphone use is only allowed when requested by a teacher (no airpods).
- Electronic devices are never allowed to be used in bathrooms or locker rooms.
- Nicollet is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Cellphones are away for the day. If brought to school devices should be away from the first bell of the day (7:50am) and should not be taken out until the last bell of the day (2:30pm).
Policy 524: Internet Acceptable use and Safety Policy
- We understand the importance of students being able to access resources on the internet, both for current educational work and to help ensure students have the skills they need for future study and work.
- We provide students access to our computer system, including the internet, expressly for educational purposes, including classroom activities, research and college/career readiness activities.
- Students are expected to use our system in a safe manner and for these appropriate purposes.
Student Dress and Appearance
Nicollet follows our District 191 Policy 504 on Student dress and appearance. The purpose of the policy is to enhance the learning environment of students by establishing expectations of dress and grooming that are related to educational goals and community standards.
The policy of the school district is to encourage students to be dressed appropriately for school activities and in keeping with community standards. This is a joint responsibility of the student and the student’s parent(s) or guardian(s).
Appropriate clothing includes, but is not limited to,
- Clothing appropriate for the weather.
- Clothing that does not create a health or safety hazard.
- Clothing appropriate for the activity (i.e., physical education or the classroom).
Inappropriate clothing includes, but is not limited to,
- Tops that expose the midriff, cleavage, and other clothing such as shorts/pants that expose undergarments.
- Clothing bearing a message that is lewd, vulgar, or obscene.
- Apparel promoting products or activities that are illegal for use by minors.
- Objectionable emblems, badges, symbols, signs, words, objects or pictures on clothing or jewelry (including sports apparel) communicating a message that is racist, sexist, or otherwise derogatory to a protected minority group, evidences gang membership or affiliation, or approves, advances, or provokes any form of religious, racial, or sexual harassment and/or violence against other individuals as defined in Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District Policy 413.
- Any apparel or footwear that would damage school property.
Hats and hoods are allowed, but may be asked to be removed if they interfere with a class activity such as a science lab, cooking, or physical education activity.
Additionally, as we work to maintain a safe environment and avoid tripping hazards, students may wear/carry outerwear coats or vests, backpacks, or sling bags to and from school but these items must remain in lockers during the school day. Small purses are allowed to be carried. Students need only bring their binder and chromebook to class.
When, in the judgment of the administration, a student’s appearance or mode of dress interferes with or disrupts the educational process or school activities, or poses a threat to the health or safety of others, the student will be asked privately to make modifications. Parents/guardians will be notified and may be requested to bring alternate clothing.
School Nurse: Ms. Mjelleli "Nurse M"
Hours: 7:20AM - 3:20PM
- Monitor immunization status of students
- Manage health plans for students with health conditions
- Provide first aid and emergency care to students and staff
- Administer medication as ordered by a physician
- Maintain health service records
- Implement screening programs
- Surveillance of Communicable disease
Reminder: Immunizations- all incoming 6th graders needs to get the T-dap booster and Meningitis vaccine before starting 7th grade.
For information about health services, please go to: https://www.isd191.org/discover/departments/health-services
Associate Principal - Jay Lepper
Deans of Students - Peirre Conwell & Michelle Henderson
School Social Workers - Kara Fahey & Kristin Mains
School Counselors - Katy Hemmah & Molly Waterman
School Psychologist - Anna Krylova
Fadlan la xiriir Axmad Kaahiye, is ku xirahanaga iskuulka Nicollet Middle School, wixii su'aala ah oo aad ka qabtid macluumaadkaa.
About Nicollet Middle School
School Hours: 7:50AM - 2:30PM