Weekend ... Virtual Backpack
St. Gabriel School ............. September 13, 2015
Developing our God-given souls, minds, talents and gifts .......................................... as servant leaders .......................................... in the community of the Body of Christ.
That's the St. Gabriel Advantage ...
WEEKLY LITURGICAL READINGS AND REFLECTIONS
24th Sunday in Ordinary Time
“Whosoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.”
When I hear the word ‘family’ what images come to mind? How do these images reflect the self-sacrificing love of Jesus Christ?
Praying with you and for you as we focus on family and mission in Catholic education.
Finishing up our third week of school, things are settling, and students are adjusting to schedules and digging into growing in learning and faith. With all but a handful of students in grades 4-8 now excitedly equipped with their new Chromebooks, use of these digital tools will increase step by step in all areas. Student Council will be gathering more homeroom representative members, our Peer Leader teams will be moving forward from their leadership training, and teams of students in various clubs, activities and groups will be developing skills and talents, and enjoying new social and spiritual growth.
With hints of fall stirring up that special energy, may everyone have a great week!
Peace, love and courage to all,
September 13 - September 19
September 14--17 -- Student Council homeroom rep campaigns
- 2:30pm Power of the Pen
- 7:00pm St. Gabriel Parish Communal Penance, Church
- ALL SCHOOL PICTURE DAY - REVISED DATE-- for personal order, and for School Yearbook
- See Picture Day Dress Code.
- Ripcho online order form
- 9:00am Mini Open House for New Families
- 2:30pm Power of the Pen
- 8:05am All School Liturgy
- 2:30-4:00pm Chess Club
- 2:30-3:30pm Grizzly Growler Press Corps
- 5:30pm--First PTU Meeting of the school year, MPR, at new time, hooray! All parents invited!
Looking Ahead ...
September 21--All School Retreat Day "Finding the Gift"
- 8:00am Opening All School Liturgy
- Assemblies with Catholic Inspirational Speaker Mike Patin
- Prayer experiences with Deacon Bob Grgic
- Classroom Service Projects for the community
- St. Gabriel School Spirit Day
- Spirit Day Afternoon Assembly
- Dress Down Day
September 26-27--St. Gabriel Parish Jubilee Kickoff Weekend
- Special Kick-off activities
- Creating a Family Legacy Tile
- 2:30pm Debate Club
- 5:00pm -- Principal Parent Circles, Church CR
- Jr K - K Grandparents Day Celebration
- 8:05 Living Rosary, Church (no Eucharistic Liturgy)
- PTU Halloween Carnival Day
- Grade 1 Cognitive Abilities Tests
- 6:00--9:00pm - PTU Christmas Craft Boutique, at St. Gabriel School
- 9:00am--3:00pm - PTU Christmas Craft Boutique, at St. Gabriel School
- NO SCHOOL, Thursday, Friday -- TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAYS
- 7:00pm Grade 2-3 Music Program
- 8:00am--2:00pm PTU Santa Shop
WEEKLY BRIGHT SPOTS
Peer Servant Leadership for Spreading Kindness, and Learning Prevention launches ...
Being Christ every day, everywhere, through teaching, learning, leading, and serving
Working together in Christ's love and servant leadership for positive growth and change ...
Helping communities be supportive of youth and their ability to affect change ...
St. Gabriel School~Crossroads Peer Leadership Day
One way of growing that students learned was how to used leadership skills to be servant leaders among each other and build a sense of team spirit. An important term that all students easily learned and grasped immediately was the word "ally." As allies they began recognizing how they could be a partner to each other and then to almost anyone, supporting them by their outreach of kindness. They learned that being allies and reporting to trusted adults in a new way was the best way to stop hurtful and harmful behaviors.
After this the peer leaders will be to meet regularly with Crossroads and St. Gabriel staff. They will focus on determining and learning more specific strategies to enact to lead all school peers in preventing hurtful and harmful behavior in our school, spreading positive actions to strengthen and expand the culture of kindness and respect, and to create positive and safe ways of reporting.
St. Gabriel Peer Leaders Invited to lake-Geauga County Youth Leadership Summit
Presenters include Alex Sheen, founder of "Because I Said I Would", a nonprofit dedicated to the betterment of humanity through promises made and kept. And Joel Penton, Ohio State grad and nationally recognized motivational speaker who will inspire and share the power of positive choices.
Student Council Starts week of guiding homeroom representative campaigns ...
At the beginning of each new St. Gabriel school year, the new Student Council for the year holds elections for student representatives to add to its membership, and to broaden it's representation of the student body. Guidelines, rules and procedures were distributed to all grade 3-8 students last week. Some main rules are:
- Each homeroom in grades 3-8 must elect one student to act as Student Council representative for the homeroom.
- Any student in that class who wishes to run may do so (except in grades 6, 7, 8- Commissioners may not also serve as homeroom rep).
- This student must be able to attend one general meeting per month (third Wednesday) and will be responsible for reporting back to their homeroom regarding projects and activities.
- Candidates must submit to the teacher the necessary parental permission forms by Monday, September 14th at the latest. No student may run without this permission slip.
CYO Basketball Registration begins September 14th
- Basketball is for boys and girls in grades 3-8.
- Regular registration is open from 9/14 - 9/27.
- Late registration will begin 9/28 - 10/4.
- Practices begin November 1st
- games begin in early December.
- Any questions or concerns please contact Basketball Commissioner Karl Bohr at email@example.com.
- Register online at www.st-gabrielcyo.org and click on the registration tab.
Please make special places in your hearts and prayers for all persons in our St. Gabriel Community:
Please keep in your prayers, general intercessions for all in our community. I know there are many needing both big and little prayers here and there, for many reasons. I was once read an anonymous quote:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
A very special expression of appreciation and thanks to our wonderful school parent Sunshine Committee who strives to lead reach out efforts of love and support and help for those in our community in suffering!
Submitting School News, Memos, and Information
If you wish to have something included in the Weekend Virtual Back (VB) or the Weekday News and Notes, or any of our shorter email memos, please contact our Communications Coordinator, Michelle Clarke, at firstname.lastname@example.org. All items must be approved by the principal and follow our policies. Thank you!!
NOTE: Also, if there are technical obstacles or difficulties in preventing you from accessing a linked item, or getting the correct information, please let Mrs. Clarke know, and she will get you the document or item or information you need!