Water

By: Mary Lyle Cook

Water vs. Land

75% of the world is covered in water. The remaining 25% is covered in land. Water takes up most of the world, while land is just a small part. The salt water in lakes and oceans take up 97% of all water. The 3% left is fresh water.

Salt vs. Fresh

There is 96.5% of salt water on earth. The remaining 3.5% is fresh water. Less than 1% of that fresh water is available for humans to use. You can change salt water to fresh water using a method called desalination, but it is very expensive and it takes a long period of time.

Sources of Fresh Water

There are three sources of fresh water in the world. There is groundwater, rivers and lakes, and ice and glaciers. You may think that the rivers and lakes take up most of it, but you're wrong. They only take 0.3% of Earth's fresh water source. The groundwater takes up 30% of fresh water sources and then ice and glaciers take up 69%.

Water Conservation

We need to learn how to conserve water. Even though most of Earth is covered in water, its mostly salt. We can't drink salt water without getting dehydrated. Our fresh water sources are running low and we need to conserve them. Take shorter showers, don't leave the sink running when brushing your teeth or washing your hands, and only wash dishes or clothes when there is a full load. We must conserve water to live.