The Famous Writer
- Ernest Miller Hemingway was born on July 21st 1899 in Oak Park, Chicago, Illinois
- He was born and raised in a house built by his grandfather, Ernest Hall
- He was named after him and his great uncle, Miller Hall
- He was the second child out of six children
- He had four sisters and six brothers
- He was raised with the values of "hard work, physical fitness, and self determination"
- His parents were Dr.Clarence Hemingway and Grace Hall.
- He and his family spent time in their summer house by Lake Michigan
- Ernest Hemingway learned his talent of writing in highschool
- He was athletic and "excelled academically"
- He wrote for his highschool newspaper as well as his highschool yearbook
- His pen name when he wrote was "Ring Lardner, Jr."
Jobs and Adulthood
- When his high-school years had came to an end, Ernest started pursuing his writing career instead of going to college.
- He first started working for the Kansas City Star as a reporter.
- This reporter job didn't last long, but it helped Ernest a lot with his writing and also helped him start using short sentences when he wrote.
- After quitting the reporter business, he decided to enroll in the US army during World War I.
- Unfortunately, Ernest didn't pass the physical exam for the army because of his poor eyesight.
- Ernest, still wanting to participate in the war, volunteered to work with the ambulance unit.
- During the war, Ernest was transferred to the front, giving out chocolates and cigars. Ernest was then wounded by an Australian Motar Shell and then shot by a machine gun, but "Hemingway helped get the soldiers out of harms way." He received the Silver Medal of Military Valor for doing so.
- Ernest never stopped writing and first books include: "Three stories and Ten poems", "In Our Time", "The Torrents of Spring", "The Sun also rises", "Death in the Afternoon", "The Green Hills of Africa", and "To have and have not"
- In 1921, Ernest married his first wife, Hadley Richardson and had a son, Jack Hemingway. They divorced in 1927.
- In 1927, Ernest married his second wife, Pauline Pfeiffer, who was an American Journalist. They had two sons named Gregory(Gloria) Hemingway and Patrick Hemingway. Their relationship ended around 1940.
- In 1940, Ernest married again to his 3rd wife, Martha Gellhorn. Martha was an American novelist, journalist, and travel writer. Their relationship ended around 1945.
- In 1946, Ernest re-married again to his fourth and final wife, Mary Welsh Hemingway, who was also a journalist.
Ernest and his son Jack
Ernest and his first son Jack he had with Hadley.
Ernest and his son Gregory
Ernest and his second son Gregory(Gloria) he had with Pauline
Ernest and his son Patrick
Ernest and his third son Patrick he had with Pauline
LET'S WATCH IT!
Ernest Hemingway life.wmv