August 21, 2020
- We will start slow with this and will build up over time to best support your family and our staff. We know that remote learning was an adjustment last spring for everyone and we want to ensure success over time.
- This is a process. Even though we learned a lot about what works last spring, our staff are working with brand new students and they will need time to find the "rhythm" of teaching and learning with their students after these first few weeks. Expect the first weeks to be about building community and routines. The schedule will likely adjust with time as well, but you can still expect daily lessons to support your child M-Th, with independent work for Friday's.
- Expect mistakes. Our best efforts are dependent on technology right now, so we all need to be flexible.
- We will monitor and adjust to needs. Please keep in contact with your child's teacher about what is working and what is not.
- Please show grace to your teachers. They are working hard to provide a quality experience in a world that we all are getting accustomed to. Just know that our teachers will show the same grace and flexibility to you as families as well.
Thanks for your continued support of our great school and community. We know this partnership, of school and family, is vital in helping prepare your child for success. We hope you have a great weekend and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Meet-the-Teacher-August 24 & 25
Purpose: Aug. 24 and 25 are designated as technology/materials distribution and meet-the-teacher days for elementary students. You should have received a link for SignUp Genius from your child’s teacher this week to choose a time (15-20 minutes) to come. Teachers will give students their books, learning materials, and devices (if requested). Parents/guardians and students will have a brief opportunity to meet their teacher in-person, practice logging into their computer, and be shown their teacher’s learning page, through which students will access their online learning. Every teacher has a learning page this school year through which they will communicate with parents and students; have links to the learning applications they will use this year (SeeSaw, Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, etc.); and more.
- This time is limited to parent(s)/guardian and any siblings that also have times to meet their teacher. We ask that you not bring any additional family members, pets, etc.
- This time is designed to be a time for the teacher and student to connect and go through logistics for the first week of school. It is not intended to be a parent/teacher conference time. If you need to connect with your teacher for a conference, please contact them about a separate time to talk later.
- Please park in our parking lots, along Roma Valley, Highcastle, or Mail Creek Lane and walk up to the building. Staff will be available to provide direction. The attached map shows where classrooms are located.
- On these days, all PSD staff, parents/guardians and students will be required to wear face coverings at all times and maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
- You will go to your child’s classroom through the outer door. Please wait outside the outer classroom door, socially distanced, until the teacher comes out to get you. As much as we’d love to give them, there will be no hugs or high-fives.
- If you have any siblings with you (waiting for their time), please supervise them and keep them with you at all times.
- Teachers will be cleaning/disinfecting classrooms between appointments.
- If additional tech support is needed, we will have staff available to help with that.
- After you are done with your appointments, please leave the school grounds. Please do not congregate in groups in school parking lots or outside on these days.
This year in remote learning, we will be taking attendance. Teachers will take attendance during morning meeting time and submit that to the office. We know that there will be times when students are not able to access online at the time of morning meetings, so please work with your teacher to let them know you were able to access online activities at some point during the day.
What are my options for reporting an absence for my student(s)?
Please call the Werner Elementary Attendance Line: 970-488-5551
Leave your name, number, student’s name and ID, date of absence and reason.
This voicemail feature is available 24hrs.
There is also a new feature within ParentVUE to report an absence. You do not need to use both. The new feature in ParentVUE is just another option available to you.
How will attendance in ParentVUE (PVUE) work?
Parents can submit attendance for a single date or range of dates by clicking on ‘Report Absence’ from the web-based home screen or app on the attendance screen. To ensure that the attendance mark is processed, you must enter a reason in the Note field.
If a student is not going to be logged in and/or attending school for a day or series of days, in any phase of instruction, the parent has the ability to document this absence in PVUE instead of making a call and leaving a voicemail on the attendance line. Once saved in PVUE, the attendance mark will still be reviewed by the attendance clerk and will show up for the teacher.
As a parent, what am I expected to do if I want to use ParentVUE for reporting the absence?
· Log in to ParentVUE
· Click on the student for which you are entering attendance for
· Select ‘report absence’
· Set attendance mark of ‘A – Absent’ or ‘I – Illness’
· Add a note (absences entered without a note are subject to being unexcused)
· Click Save
· Note: please know that schools may take up to 24 hours to process absences and future absences will not be visible in ParentVUE until the date of the absence.
Meals during Remote Learning
Ensuring kids have access to nutritious meals during the 2020-21 school year is a top priority. PSD Child Nutrition and the Transportation Departments have teamed up to make sure meals are available to students at several locations across the district while PSD is in remote learning through Oct. 16.
Sack meals available for PSD students
Please note that meal sites and hours may change as needs and the program are evaluated.
PSD will offer sack meals to PSD students (beginning Aug. 24) from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Friday, at numerous PSD schools and additional locations (on scheduled school days).
Students will be able to get two sack meals - one sack lunch for that day and a sack breakfast for the following morning. Menus will be available here.
Cost of meals:
- Free and reduced-priced meals - Students who have qualified for free and reduced-priced meals will receive meals at no cost. For information or to apply, visit the Free and Reduced-Priced Meals website.
- Students buying meals will be charged the normal breakfast and lunch prices. Because of COVID-19, the district will only accept online payments through SchoolPay accounts, but no convenience fee will be charged (typically $1 per transaction).
Sack meals will be available outside at schools (listed below in bold) and at nearby mobile meal sites via parked school buses. Meal sites that are near each other are grouped together. All meals sites at schools are listed in bold. PSD-enrolled students may pick up or purchase meals at any location regardless of the school they attend or where they live.
Werner Elementary, 5400 Mail Creek Ln.
Nearby mobile bus meal sites:
- Brittany St At Heart Of The Rockies Parking Lot
- Fossil Creek Pkwy At Fossil Creek Park
- Keenland Dr West Of Mcmurry Ave
- Skyway & Venus
For up-to-date information about meals for students during remote learning, please go to: https://www.psdschools.org/psd2020-21/mealsremotelearning.
Technology Support Tips
You can also use the Tech Portal for tech support when you need it: https://techportal.psdschools.org/. If you have any other questions about technology, please contact our Media Specialist, Debbie Powers, at email@example.com.
Note from Mrs. Spangler
Dear Werner Families,
They say, “All good things must come to and end.” I’d say this has been an excellent “thing” – this beautiful, rewarding, memorable time at Werner working with some of you and your families! I am moving on after 17 years at Werner and just wanted to say good- bye and thank you – thank you for the memories, for helping me to grow as a teacher and a person, and for sharing your child with me. I will always be a Werner Wildcat!
-Colored Pencils or Crayons
-Ruler (standard and metric)
-White Copy Paper
-Small White Board
Please hold on to other supplies until we are back in school.
This year, we are also making available for families the option to purchase school supplies online to be delivered to your home from School Tool Box. Please note that not all supplies are available in these school kits and you may need to purchase them separately.
UPDATE: Requests for change in A/B Days
If you requested a change to A/B days, those changes are on hold as our office priorities have shifted to all Phase 1 prep. We appreciate your patience and will communicate updates before the end of August.
PSD 2020-21 School Year
Stay up-to-date with PSD's plans for the 2020-21 school year at: https://www.psdschools.org/psd2020-21. This site will house all the information needed for the different phases and updates throughout the year.